corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bike day.
will_ainsworth

User status: Offline
20th Apr 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i did my cbt when i was 16, thats now run out im guessing, im looking to get a 600 next year possibly as a weekend toy but also as i will be near the capital might be best for commuting. what test would i need to do etc as i havnt looked at it at all. am i correct to believe i will need it restricted for 2 years . and what is insurance like on a 600cc bike at 19 i know its a stupid question as it varys but ive never even looked at insurance for bikes before. probably looking at something like the below...

mattk

20th Apr 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CBT
Theroy
Direct Access

if you dont want to be restricted, some new rules are comming in soon, and I think they are jibbing direct access im not sure, someone will know
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GSXR - 1st bike = Raped insurance and probable death.....

You've said something there which screams a different bike. Commuting.....

How many miles per day?

GSXR is a cracking little bike, but for commuting, lame.... Your in the sports bike position which when in traffic is harder to ride.

You want a bike with more upright position, something cheap to insure, cheap to run, cheap to fill up...

Suzuki Bandit
Kawasaki ER6N
etc etc...

Given your age, you can do DAS I think, but as said I think its being changed so all younger riders have to have a restrictor (33bhp) on it.

Either way, your gonna be paying well over £1k insurance.

Commuting also, your gonna need various gear. Winter and summer gloves, GOOD textile jacket (£200+), boots (pref summer and winter), trousers etc.

PS, your CBT has run out, so u'll need to do the full lot again now.

I'll say it every time though. New rider + SS600 = Crash.... (usually).

Nothing wrong with the bike though. Good cheap sportbikes.
Graham88

20th Apr 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pay £380 on my 636, paid it when I was 19, 1 year NCB
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3rd party only?????

No way u'd have got fully comp for that price im sure I was paying more than that for the SV when I was older with more ncb
dannymccann

20th Apr 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR wont agree with me () but my RS125 (when its working ) is plenty fast enough with the sportsbike look for a new rider, and its restricted, but mine is proving to be less than reliable (due to past owners though, not me) and is also not classed as a commuter bike. Insurance TPFT is £300 for me, 21 years old
Graham88

20th Apr 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
3rd party only?????

No way u'd have got fully comp for that price im sure I was paying more than that for the SV when I was older with more ncb

TPFT.

FC was £1500
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
VXR wont agree with me () but my RS125 (when its working ) is plenty fast enough with the sportsbike look for a new rider, and its restricted, but mine is proving to be less than reliable (due to past owners though, not me) and is also not classed as a commuter bike. Insurance TPFT is £300 for me, 21 years old

I love RS125's. 2 strokes are the way forward IMO Tiny revvy powerband. Good for new riders, its a proper little bike. I'd love an RS250 as a track slag.

If I had to get a 125, it would be near the top of the list. But i'd still rather have a restricted big bike with amples more torque.

Sports bike also have a terrible turning circle, and when you flicking between cars its handy to have a better TC.

But if its commuting, you need to consider service intervals, consumable wear, clothing wear etc.

My bike cost me more than the train did each year. But i could come and go when I wanted, I could do OT and late shifts if need be, and at the end of the year, I still had a motorcycle and not a useless expired train ticket. No sharing my seat with Mr Fatty sweaty office worker too

For those reasons alone the bikes are worth it. No waiting for traffic jams ever again
mattk

20th Apr 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I lived in london with out any shadow of doubt Id use a bike for commuting, and that bike would deffo be a bandint, they are ace!
_Allan_

20th Apr 09 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bandints are the best Matt lolz
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i lived in london i'd use a scooter.

By far the quickest and easiest way about town.

You get as much road respect though as you'd give a hoodiee brandishing a knife to a child. I.e None.....

So cheap to run and insure though. £25 tax per year ona 200cc. £15 for a year on a 125. Fecking ace 60mpg is the winner.
radicalry00

20th Apr 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are some good value (preferably under £500 secondhand ) 125cc scooters VXR?

[Edited on 20-04-2009 by radicalry00]
Eck
Premium Member

20th Apr 09 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be going for a GSXR600 SRAD if I wanted to live longer than a week Extremely quick bike. You could of course get it restricted, but you're better off with something else for commuting as Daimo said!
Graham88

20th Apr 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh & on the note of commuting on a sportsbike, I went to work on mine for a week and would not fancy doing it every week. Plus it's too easy to lose my licence if I did it too often, I had 100mph going past Baker Street
P1CK4D

20th Apr 09 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I had 100mph going past Baker Street

Proof needed or it didnt happen tbh imho
DizzyRebel

20th Apr 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old Srad 600 shouldnt be too heavy on insurance. There not that fast either so make a good first 'big' bike. Id be tempted with one of those or a CBR600F for my first big sportsbike.

Graham88

20th Apr 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I'll ask the people who control the City's cameras, as it's probably on there
P1CK4D

20th Apr 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
OK I'll ask the people who control the City's cameras, as it's probably on there

Many thanks. Forward onto me once you have the proof.
PaulW

20th Apr 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those saying you can do DAS, you can't.

DAS is only if you are 21 or over. As you are 19, you will have to do the A1 cat test (on a 125) and then have a restrictor fitted (33bhp) for 2 years, or until you reach the age of 21 (whichever is longest)

[Edited on 20-04-2009 by PaulW]
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh there you go, good confirmation. 21 to do DAS.

So, you CAN get a big bike, in fact you could get the above, but you need a 33bhp restrictor kit, and these day more insurance companies want certificates as proof.

SV650S is the best commuter/entry sports bike. Very popular with a 33bhp restrictor kit as its a twin its got very low rev umph.

Bandits the better bike for pure commuting, but much harder to fit restrictors too. I'd personnally go for an SV650S. Keep it till your 21 then get the restrictor off for another years "new bike" riding, then chop it in for a better bike

RS125 or SV650S restricted, i'd got for the SV for the commuting. U'll get 130-150 to a tank, it does 50mpg (maybe more with restrictor), but is heavy enough (but a great engine thats very forgiving with new riders) to learn how a big bike handles on the road.
fir3vip3r

20th Apr 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah das is 21 plus

you can get a full power bike and restrict it to 33bhp if you want. being 19 i very much doubt the sports bike position will bother you commuting tbh. there not really that uncomfy for a young lad.

Mobby

20th Apr 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
GSXR - 1st bike = Raped insurance and probable death.....

You've said something there which screams a different bike. Commuting.....

How many miles per day?

GSXR is a cracking little bike, but for commuting, lame.... Your in the sports bike position which when in traffic is harder to ride.

You want a bike with more upright position, something cheap to insure, cheap to run, cheap to fill up...

Suzuki Bandit
Kawasaki ER6N
etc etc...

Given your age, you can do DAS I think, but as said I think its being changed so all younger riders have to have a restrictor (33bhp) on it.

Either way, your gonna be paying well over £1k insurance.

Commuting also, your gonna need various gear. Winter and summer gloves, GOOD textile jacket (£200+), boots (pref summer and winter), trousers etc.

PS, your CBT has run out, so u'll need to do the full lot again now.

I'll say it every time though. New rider + SS600 = Crash.... (usually).

Nothing wrong with the bike though. Good cheap sportbikes.

My brother paid £1000 on a 2000 R6 at 17, with 1 years no claims and a two month ban for no insurance or driving licence. restricted of course.

As said they are not the best for commuting, why not get a sports tourer instead

[Edited on 20-04-2009 by mobby]
Welsh Dan

20th Apr 09 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a SV650S yesterday, as my first bike. Its not restricted and it seems quick enough for me.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day. 22 database queries in 0.5781839 seconds