corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » engine flush

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author engine flush
cunningham

User status: Offline
9th May 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you use it im sure there has been talks of pros and cons before

i got a bottle for nothing off my mate at his garage should i use it ona c20xe with 140k?
DENHOLM666

9th May 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use it when i do a service on my 1.4 seems to be ok
cunningham

9th May 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stuff i got was Fortron?
Rupean

9th May 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt use any kind of engine flush too save my life, ive seen 1st hand what it can do too bearings when used.
harrisp

9th May 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't use it as it can break down crap that is keeping the engine oil tight.
alan-g-w

9th May 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I've heard as well. My understanding of it is that it breaks down all the oily sludge in the engine - but as harrisp said, that's the very stuff that's helping keeping the engine running Possibly due to the fact that because the high mileage engines you use it on are old and as such bearing tolerances and the like are larger due to wear over the years. The semi-solid oil 'sludge' that was there before was helping make up for this, but completely oil (or sludge) free components can't be handled by just oil. Think that's also why you use thicker oil as the engine gets older as well?

Rambled on a bit I know, but it's been something I've thought about before.
harrisp

9th May 09 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
So I've heard as well. My understanding of it is that it breaks down all the oily sludge in the engine - but as harrisp said, that's the very stuff that's helping keeping the engine running Possibly due to the fact that because the high mileage engines you use it on are old and as such bearing tolerances and the like are larger due to wear over the years. The semi-solid oil 'sludge' that was there before was helping make up for this, but completely oil (or sludge) free components can't be handled by just oil. Think that's also why you use thicker oil as the engine gets older as well?

Rambled on a bit I know, but it's been something I've thought about before.

Thats my opinion of it anyway, whether there is any scientific proof I have no idea.
alan-g-w

9th May 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here.
SVM 286

9th May 09 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience, don't use an additive. It's a waste of time and money and is adding something unwanted to the lubrication system of the engine for far too long.

All you want to do is clear the worst of the muck out of an engine that hasn't had enough oil changes and needs help, i.e. rattly lifters, without leaving any flush residue for any longer than it takes to carry out the actual flush itself.

You don't really want anything other than good oil working it's way round the engine when it's under load or at idle at maximum temperature.

When carrying out a flush I have warmed the engine and replaced the old oil with flushing oil.

I run the engine at fast idle for thirty seconds or so and then drain and replace the flush with cheap oil, but leave the old filter on.

I then drive the car for a few minutes and drain once again as thoroughly as possible.

Then I fill the engine with the appropriate stuff and fit a nice new filter.

It can be an idea to do another change after say, five hundred miles, as the new oil will do a lovely job of absorbing any remaining crap that was loosened but not removed by the initial flushing.

This will be apparent if the oil becomes much darker, much sooner than expected.
alan-g-w

9th May 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You use about 12L of oil to change it once? I drain the old stuff and put new stuff in. Engine doesn't seem to mind.
SVM 286

9th May 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Alan.

That is the procedure I have carried out in the past on engines that need it.

I don't think i've ever had to flush an engine of mine because they are properly maintained and I always use decent oil.
csweatherston

9th May 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a flush on every service (also required to as part of the good garage scheme)
havent had one probloem yet.
cunningham

9th May 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see ive just got the car with 140k on it so dont know how well its been maintianed as to regards of oil changes ect

it says get engine to temperature stick it in leave it for 10 min then flush all oil out
Mo

9th May 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh engine to normal temp. turn off car. stick engine flush in and run for 15mins. turn off car. drain oil and change oil filter. put new filter on and put new oil in. done

[Edited on 09-05-2009 by Mo]
Kano

9th May 09 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bryan DO NOT put an engine flush through it.. Will cause more harm than good guaranteed..
Bonney

9th May 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
I wouldn't use it as it can break down crap that is keeping the engine oil tight.

So true
cunningham

9th May 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone wanna buy a bottle of engine flush?
SVM 286

9th May 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
see ive just got the car with 140k on it so dont know how well its been maintianed as to regards of oil changes ect

it says get engine to temperature stick it in leave it for 10 min then flush all oil out

If it's an additive don't bother Mr C.

Only actual flushing oil will do any good.

You'd only really need to use it at all if the oil is so rotten that there are sticky bits of congealed and burnt old oil residue in the cam cover and on the stick and if it's got hydraulic lifters that aren't pressurising because they are blocked with sludge.
Mo

9th May 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would u use engine flush if u were changing to a different grade of oil?
Kano

9th May 09 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by cunningham

If it's an additive don't bother Mr C.

Only actual flushing oil will do any good.

You'd only really need to use it at all if the oil is so rotten that there are sticky bits of congealed and burnt old oil residue in the cam cover and on the stick and if it's got hydraulic lifters that aren't pressurising because they are blocked with sludge.

Sorry but thats exactly the reason not to do it.. In theory it sounds like agreat idea but an engine flush will not do an engine with 140k on it any good what so ever.. I remember when I first started out at renault and even then they didnt like putting flushes through anything with 50k+ just to be safe.

If tappets are an issue then yeh you could take them out and clean them with flush or that.
binxy16v

9th May 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use forte angine flush aty every service its very good stuff and would do no harm to a well looked after engine. flushing an engine with fresh cheep oiul will not clean it enough. not saying it doesnt work but imo i dont think it would do as good of job as the propper engine flush.
DaveyLC

9th May 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine flush is kind of self defeating, its only necessary on engines that havent been serviced regularly but the problem is the carbon build ups stop the engines like that from smoking their tits off.
binxy16v

9th May 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true but allthe carbon that build up inside the oil galories needs clearing out . all im saying is that its not a bad thing to do it. i have always used it n all my mates garages use it all the time too so cant be that bad i guess.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » engine flush 22 database queries in 0.0087500 seconds