corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Poles by roadsides *Answered*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Poles by roadsides *Answered*
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th May 09 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been trying to find out exactly what these are; basically the green poles, about 6 foot high at the side of lots of motorways and a few roads. They have a fluorescent orange 'roof' type top.

I have been lead to believe in the past that they are breathers for a huge underground pipeline network that links all major UK airports and RAF stations so that in the event of war and roads being impassable, fuel can be moved for aircraft.

If anyone knows the facts, please share.

Google isn't finding anything for me, but that may be what I'm typing in as I can't describe them that well

[Edited on 29-05-2009 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
AndyKent

29th May 09 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a lot of sections of motorway are built over old landfil - more likely breather vents for the gas coming off the decomposing rubbish I would have thought.....
Leighton

29th May 09 at 07:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AS far as i no they are high pressure gas pipes, my dad has had a couple of sites were you are not allowad to build within 15 meters of them.
I have not heared anything about them being for fuel because there are alot around croxteth but no airports round there, also the anount of fuel that it would take to fill the network would be a negative impact, be easier just to fligh it around if its going to airports.
Fonz
Premium Member

29th May 09 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
AS far as i no they are high pressure gas pipes, my dad has had a couple of sites were you are not allowad to build within 15 meters of them.
I have not heared anything about them being for fuel because there are alot around croxteth but no airports round there, also the anount of fuel that it would take to fill the network would be a negative impact, be easier just to fligh it around if its going to airports.

thats what i have heard, they are designed to be seen from the sky, why this might be important for the likes of helicopters surveying areas i cant say as you'd expect them to have detailed plans of the area they are looking at, so the only other reason would be for landing but i cant think of a reason why landing near a gas main buried under the dirt would be an issue

in short, they indicate gas mains
_Allan_

29th May 09 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fancy bird houses
Ludacris Turbo

29th May 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got something similiar to them round where i live. Except the poles are white with a black 'roof'. They are apperently to mark out a high pressure jet fuel pipeline which goes to a few RAF bases.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th May 09 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought this was going to be a thread about people washing your windscreen

There are loads of these right down the 6.

Fuel traffic does sound feasible.
John

29th May 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they were for anything to do with supplying fuel in the event of a war they wouldn't be marked with illuminous orange paint would they
Ludacris Turbo

29th May 09 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres a map showing where the pipes go and what PSI there under. http://www.linewatch.co.uk/map_gpss.htm
ScubaSteve

29th May 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Pipelines_and_Storage_System

For anyone that's interested.
baza31

29th May 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so there is fuel under there? any one up for some syphonage tonight lol
ScubaSteve

29th May 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're going to hit that with a hammer, make sure there's no one around you for about 15 square miles.

Oh, and get a mate to film it
Bonney

29th May 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think these are for the gas pipes. Theres a few over the feild near my house, with one of the small concrete posts with the depth of the line on it etc.
CorsAsh

29th May 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
they indicate gas mains
sand-eel

29th May 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Defo not breathers as the pipe are under pressure.
Maybe they are runway markers to land on motorways in the event of no runway available during war.
Doug

29th May 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought they were to gauge the road in times of heavy snow

Shows how much I know
Ste
Premium Member

29th May 09 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I have done a bit of research with the new info from Ludacris Turbo and ScubeSteve. It does seem that there is a vast underground network of fuel pipes around the country. The markers are along the route showing where service areas are for the pipes. There are different colour tops and poles depending on who owns the pipe and what they do with it.

The MOD have a pipeline called the GPSS

quote:
MOD.uk
The DFG plays a significant role in national contingency planning and works with the Oil and Pipelines Agency (OPA), a non-departmental public body. The OPA is responsible for management of the Government Pipeline and Storage System (GPSS), a strategic defence asset, which is 2,500km of pipeline and 46 other facilities across the United Kingdom, providing aviation fuel to MOD sites.

The network is interconnected with several private networks and was built in 1942 to supply all the RAF and USAF bases in the country. The pipeline also supplies the UK's civil airports and has a contingency storage capacity as well. The MOD's fuels requirements are preplanned two years hence but the system has sufficient flexibility to allow for a surge in demand, such as an increase in the operational tempo

There is also a map of the whole network on the Linewatch website that Ludacris Turbo found

HERE

Also, you could never be sure what is flowing down the pipe at any one time
quote:
MOD.uk
To keep contamination to a minimum when one product follows another down a pipeline, products are sent in this sequence: naphtha (the lightest), petrol, kerosene, gas oil (the heaviest), kerosene, petrol, naphtha. Although generally there is no physical barrier between each product, an inflatable sphere is sometimes put in the pipe between consignments.

Mazin.

[Edited on 29-05-2009 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
micra_pete
Premium Member

29th May 09 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know this.
Very interesting post
sand-eel

29th May 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting indeed, I take it the pipes are very deep underground as any country would easily know where they are during war and try to take them out.
Also why is the 2 up north not connected to any where else
pow
Premium Member

29th May 09 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fasinating
Twiggy

29th May 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wowzerz!
CorsAsh

29th May 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This site is actually very educational
drunkenfool

29th May 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jay

30th May 09 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
This site is actually very educational

I was just thinking that, some of the things just off reading on here that I now know about is unreal, for a forum
C2RL R

30th May 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've not noticed one of them poles for ages but they used to do my head in when i was a kid. asked everyone what they were and nobody could answer.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Poles by roadsides *Answered* 23 database queries in 0.0170200 seconds