corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Seriously thinking of getting a motorbike now..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Seriously thinking of getting a motorbike now..
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
   23rd Jun 09 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been mulling it over for a few months now and i keep passing the practise theory exams online.

Basically i'm 28 now and i hate to say this but fancy a change from cars.It seems for what my cars worth i could sell it...get somthing cheap as a second car (wife has a new micra c+c) or maybe a van for work, dad has a mint MK4 Astra Van that i could buy off him.And buy a bike.

I'm always after more speed and power from my scoobys and now i'm thinking why don't i just get a bike...there quick from the off and chances are it won't blow up.My dads/mates etc have always been into bikes but the most experiance i've had was my new scooter when i was 16/17/18 but even then i loved the feel of being on two wheels.

Think i'm going to sort my theory and CBT out then wait till the Autumn to do my full test.

Just can't get my wifes nagging and the fear of death out of my head
dannymccann

23rd Jun 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres nothing like a perfect day for going out and just cruising on a bike, even my RS is decent at overtaking on country roads.

At 28 your insurance will be pittance as well, its a bit shit in the cold and wet weather though, but im a bit of a baby
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Jun 09 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can we move this to GC so everyone can tell you are gay?
C2RL R

23rd Jun 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm pretty much exactly the same as you mate. always fancied a bike although i've only ever ridden scooters when i was a kid. every year when it's my birthday i consider getting my licence but always put it off. i'm 27 now so insurance won't be too bad. i also worry about coming off it and killing myself! where i work there are around 12 lads that have bikes so more or less every day i have to listen to them talking bikes and bike related stuff.
Gsi_Ire

23rd Jun 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ditto

i am in the middle of doing my proper training at the moment, i hope to pick up a 03 CBR600RR on Saturday.

i have been threatening to do it for years, but now I am 28, insurance is cheap enough and the GF is no longer threatening to leave if I buy one! So after spending 2 hrs on the CBR the other week I think the time has come!

bigboykarl

23rd Jun 09 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

passed my bike test before car...but then again i needed it as going 5/6 years as a despatch rider in london
mazdaspeed

23rd Jun 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the CBT, they will put you on a 400cc+ bike straight away to get used to it. If they have a choice of bike try and get an in-line 4 over a 2 cylinder bike as they are smoother for when you do the turn in the road (probably the hardest thing to do on the test).

Some schools do a set price for passing i.e. £400 for your license, only paying for the test but you have as many lessons as you want or you can pay around £50 for each 2 hour lesson that you need to pass. I passed in 3 lessons. Helps a lot if you're an experienced driver.
C2RL R

23rd Jun 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking hell i just got a quote a zx-6r ninja £1035 tpf+t. that seems pretty expensive since i opten for less than 3000 miles a year.
Kano

23rd Jun 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
fucking hell i just got a quote a zx-6r ninja £1035 tpf+t. that seems pretty expensive since i opten for less than 3000 miles a year.

Thats super expensive. I was insuring my 636 and mille for under £350, only 23 and have just passed my test.

My advice would be get something a bit rough first and get your confidence up. All my bikes so far have had more time spent polishing them than riding them so sold the mille off and bought an old N reg zx7r for just over a grand. I'm almost positive I'll have more fun on the 7r due to me not being anal over it... look forward to the videos of rolling burnouts etc...

The only downside of having a bike is trying to keep your head and not do silly speeds everywhere..
C2RL R

23rd Jun 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

name some insurance companies for me to check out will ya? ta.
mwg

23rd Jun 09 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't trust myself with one, I'd ride it like I was on a race track so I'd be involved in an accident very quickly and die. Hence I'm sticking to cars.
Ian W

23rd Jun 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking about getting a bike for the work drive in the summer, might look into it a bit more
Edd

23rd Jun 09 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I couldn't trust myself with one, I'd ride it like I was on a race track so I'd be involved in an accident very quickly and die. Hence I'm sticking to cars.

waht i came to post

im bad enough on a nice day in a car never mind on a bike

i would be dead by the end of the summer
Matt L

23rd Jun 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest.
CORSA NUT

23rd Jun 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice guys

Gsi_ire what is your insurance like mate?? That's pretty much the bike i'll be after

TBH i'm going to wanting to travel on it with the wife at some point so i MIGHT have to get more of a cruiser like a V max Yamaha.Mate has a MINT 52 plate one that's had about 8 grands worth of work done to it and he only wants 6K for it.

Mazdaspeed i've been driving for 10 years and i've owned a lot of performance cars etc i've always been good at throttle control and that type of stuff too.

So what's the deal with what bike i can ride as a 'Learner'?? If i do my CBT on a 125 then what bike can i ride whilst i'm learning for my test? Can i just bang L plates on a 400 and be off on my own??

CORSA NUT

23rd Jun 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

to be honest.

As long as i can be the one in black i don't give a fuck!
Colin

23rd Jun 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G

Dito, plus the weathers shite up here id hardley get the use out of it!!
CORSA NUT

23rd Jun 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus you have an M3 Coling....
CORSA NUT

23rd Jun 09 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

Gsi_ire what is your insurance like mate?? That's pretty much the bike i'll be after

TBH i'm going to wanting to travel on it with the wife at some point so i MIGHT have to get more of a cruiser like a V max Yamaha.Mate has a MINT 52 plate one that's had about 8 grands worth of work done to it and he only wants 6K for it.

Mazdaspeed i've been driving for 10 years and i've owned a lot of performance cars etc i've always been good at throttle control and that type of stuff too.

So what's the deal with what bike i can ride as a 'Learner'?? If i do my CBT on a 125 then what bike can i ride whilst i'm learning for my test? Can i just bang L plates on a 400 and be off on my own??

radicalry00

23rd Jun 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

You can only ride a 400 on L plates when an instructor is with you. Until you've passed your test, you can only ride a 125 unsupervised.

I've just done module 1 of the new bike test, got the next part in July. Can't wait!
CORSA NUT

23rd Jun 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right cheers

Good luck BTW

Can you not do the tests all in one go??
PaulW

23rd Jun 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree, your insurance will be peanuts tbh!

I just bought this

I'm 27, 6 points, passed my test on the 4th of June, and its only costing me £128.67 TPFT and thats with Bikesure/Flux. Has pillion cover, unlimited mileage, commuting and SD&P, no alarm or immobiliser, and is parked on the driveway so not garaged. Very bloody cheap insurance if you ask me, especially for a 1200!!
PaulW

23rd Jun 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUTCan you not do the tests all in one go??

Not sure if the same is recommended elsewhere, but I was recommended to leave a gap of atleast a week between Module 1 and Module 2 tests. If you fail the Module 1, this way you can cancel the Mod 2 and not lose your fee. if they were on the same day (Mod 1 + Mod 2 a few hours later), if you fail the first part, you will lose the £80 for the Module 2 test and have to pay it all again.
Kano

23rd Jun 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
name some insurance companies for me to check out will ya? ta.

www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk. or www.hrinsurance.co.uk

H & R are amazing for young folk just passed.. about 6 of us have insurance with them, hundreds cheaper than anyone else.

Lol at all the people that say that cant trust themselves because they drive a car hard. Totally different experience, I drive cars like 2nd nature now but when I get on the bike its so much more work and concentration. Yes I go quick sometimes but you cant throw a bike around like you do a car.
fir3vip3r

23rd Jun 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

passing my bike test is the best thing ive ever done.

if you want performance at a price a motorbike is the only way to go.

so much fun, and the thing i like best is its all down to YOU, no computers making you fast, just the size of your balls and your skill..

btw im paying £450 tpft on a daytona 600 at 19

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Seriously thinking of getting a motorbike now.. 22 database queries in 0.2073190 seconds