corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorcycle Day - 125cc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorcycle Day - 125cc
StueyBoy1989

User status: Offline
   25th Jun 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i'm seriously looking in to gettin a bike. As i'm only 19 i'v decided to go for the Standard 125cc test from what i have been reading this seems to be my best bet as i would otherwise be restricted to 33bhp etc. And plus as i havent riden a bike before i think its best i get a few years under my belt before doing the direct access and getting a bigger bike. So really what i'm asking is:

What bike should i look to get once i'v done the test?
- looking to spend about 1000k on the bike MAX.
- how much am i looking at for insurance?

What other information can you give me?

i plan to do the course when they give you 10 hours one to one tuition and you rent bike off them.

any other info will be brilliant!

cheers.
nathy_87

25th Jun 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try these http://www.bikechatforums.com/ might be able to help you better than a car forum.
StueyBoy1989

25th Jun 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wicked cheers for all the help posted in 'off day' for a reason, as i know some people on here have bikes. Brilliant help you are.
Baskey

25th Jun 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got a honda xr 125 for sale mate

Its like a trail bike, 4 stroke so very cheap to run and will never break down but its not tgat fast (does about 70)

Good to learn on, want 1.2k, irs on a 05 plate
nathy_87

25th Jun 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont be fucking sarcastic numnuts. They could possibly give you more/better info than some of us on here.

mad_mike252

25th Jun 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

172 ftw
Baskey

25th Jun 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mad_mike252
172 ftw

I have one of these for sale as well lol

[Edited on 25-06-2009 by Baskey]
DizzyRebel

25th Jun 09 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aprilia RS125, nothing else comes close. Nothing else is worth spending your money on other than an aprilia MX125.

Forget Honda nsr/cbr, yamaha TZR, Cagiva Mito etc... RS125 is the one to go for. The reliability stories you hear about them are bullshit as they ARE the most reliable 125cc sportsbike, alongsie being the fastest and 2nd best handling bike of all time as voted for by mcn and superbike magazine.

mattk

25th Jun 09 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
Dont be fucking sarcastic numnuts. They could possibly give you more/better info than some of us on here.

the fuck are you on about? there are loads of bikers on here who will give the answers he is looking for
nathy_87

25th Jun 09 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Aprilia RS125, nothing else comes close. Nothing else is worth spending your money on other than an aprilia MX125.

Forget Honda nsr/cbr, yamaha TZR, Cagiva Mito etc... RS125 is the one to go for. The reliability stories you hear about them are bullshit as they ARE the most reliable 125cc sportsbike, alongsie being the fastest and 2nd best handling bike of all time as voted for by mcn and superbike magazine.

Someone told me they blow up or was that the 250cc Aprilia?

ssj_kakarot

25th Jun 09 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
Try these http://www.bikechatforums.com/ might be able to help you better than a car forum.

its easier to ask on one forum than to sign up for another one you know, if every one followed your advice it would be a very bland site.
Daimo B

25th Jun 09 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
as voted for by mcn and superbike magazine.

you believe everything you read in MCN.

Its all BS in that paper They are so biased its untrue... Give you a bike MCn, hide the stories... Don't give MCN a bike and watch it get flamed and all the warrenty issues get published...
Eck
Premium Member

25th Jun 09 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sachs XTC 125 Racing look ace and are cheap as feck
dannymccann

25th Jun 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5dr Corsa 3dr Polo piss off out of the thread you arent being helpful whatsoever.

Stuey your original post is a little wrong:

quote:
Well i'm seriously looking in to gettin a bike. As i'm only 19 i'v decided to go for the Standard 125cc test from what i have been reading this seems to be my best bet as i would otherwise be restricted to 33bhp etc[You will be anyway, on the standard test restricted to 33bhp ANY CC for 2 years, once the 2 years is up you are completely free, no DAS needed, you also need a CBT to do this first and can ride up to 125cc / 14.6kw on the road with Loser plates]. And plus as i havent riden a bike before i think its best i get a few years under my belt before doing the direct access and getting a bigger bike. So really what i'm asking is:

- looking to spend about 1000k on the bike MAX. RS/MX125 or Cagiva Mito for speed, anything else is a 4 stroke and slower than these, such as CBR, TZR etc]
- how much am i looking at for insurance? Im 21, I have an RS125, £300TPFT

Daimo B

25th Jun 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by StueyBoy1989

- looking to spend about 1000k on the bike MAX.
- how much am i looking at for insurance?

What other information can you give me?

any other info will be brilliant!

What do you want to use it for? Playing, commuting, both? Makes a difference.
£1k isn't going to get you a good un of anything im afraid... But, its a GREAT time to go to a dealer atm.. Loads of 0% finance deals, and you can really haggle to get the price down.
How longs a bit of string.....? can be anything depending on your situation. Points, is it garaged, alarmed, etc etc.... Prob about £500-£1500...

The RS is a good little bike, but imo your always better off going for something a bit bigger. Getting a Restricted license (33bhp) for 2 years, means you can get a bigger bike, get used the weight of it etc. Nothing you will ride will be anywhere near as light as a 125... But get a bigger bike and the weight will always be similar. I still say a Suzuki SV650S on 33bhp restrictors is one of the ebst bikes for a new rider. Great reliable engine (Proper reliable!! no rebuilds, ever, just servicing), and when the 33bhp restrictor is off, you go up to 70bhp, so its like a brand new bike, without the cost of a new one....

Thats my opinion though... Others won't agree. I've been riding now since I was 6, im now 28........

Other things... Yes, consider the other expensive items.. Skid lid, leathers or material, whatever u'll needs to spend a few hundred at least.... Boots, gloves (winter/summer if you an all year rounder).

Do it though, best thing ever.... Seen my "im foobarred" post....
dannymccann

25th Jun 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR makes a good point, there is no point buying a bike and doing the tests for it if youve got no clothing for it, and that can get very pricey very quickly
Daimo B

25th Jun 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get good HJC lids for about £100 these days, but this can quickly rise to £300+... Most lids are safe, more of a fashion thing... But quality DOES go up with price. I've got 2 lids atm, and my expensive Arai is vastly better than my budget Lazer...

Gloves, winter/summer... I have both, both costing around £40-£50, but again, easy to spend £100 on a pair by themselves...

Boots, £80-£300...
Jacket (textile) £150-£400....
trousers (textile) £50-£200...

Or...
Leather 2 peice - £400+
1 piece, £400+

Then we reach back protectors, silly items like anti fog masks, maybe over-throw waterproofs, the list goes on and on...

Its really how involved you want to get, how much you value your life/skin... I value mine lots, so have good gear. i've found cheap gear does the job ok, but it won't last as long.
Half Pint

25th Jun 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had full gore tex gear from hein greckle (sp) and it gets used daily and has lasted 6 winters and summers so its fair to say yur get what you pay for so think about what you want from the stuff before you buy...
Daimo B

25th Jun 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell Tony, mine only lasts me about 2-3 years I like getting new stuff though
StueyBoy1989

25th Jun 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, this was what i was looking for before 5dr corsa-3dr_polo 'numnuts' got involved.

I see well perhaps i will start buying bits at a time then once iv got all the gear look in to booking up for my test then buy a bike. Cheers for the help and all the comments. Looks like i might keep a look out for Aprilia RS125.
dannymccann

25th Jun 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just keep in mine unless you buy one brand new you may have to service it when you first get it. This can be anything from £20 (piston rings, if you can do it yourself, add extra for labour) to £300 for a whole top end (new barrel, rings, piston etc) depending on condition. This applies to all the 2 stroke bikes really, as they have a habit of being bought by people who want to use their performance but not maintain them correctly, which is where they get their 'poor reliability' rep from
Conway563

25th Jun 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Getting a Restricted license (33bhp) for 2 years, means you can get a bigger bike, get used the weight of it etc.

Would you reccomend that over direct access Daimo?
DizzyRebel

25th Jun 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The tests have changed, you cant get restricted or direct access anymore. its a 125, 500, then full power test before you can get on a big bike and theres no fast way around it.

As for MCN, lots of the stuff they print is bollocks. Aprilia got the rap for it a few years ago as we used to look after all the mcn test bikes, then Aprilia decided they werent going to give them any and woe behold aprilia were slated that whole year from everything such as spares to reliability and the dealernet.

RS125 ftw though all the same, just make sure it has service history, proof its been run on good oil and a compression test when you buy it to make sure the engine doesnt need new rings but the same applies to all 2 stroke 125's not just the RS.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorcycle Day - 125cc 22 database queries in 0.0994492 seconds