corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining The Army...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joining The Army...
CorsaSport14

User status: Offline
29th Jun 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently working for Toyota as a Technician and have just finished my 3 years apprenticeship, and TBH...I hate it! new boss is a complete 'power mad' arse wank theres hardly anywork in and its so boring, im fed up of looking like a pikey going into work in shitty overalls etc etc.

I was thinking of joining the army. I looked into it and got the info pack with dvd blah blah and a careers officer contacted me and said i should consider going in for Officer Training, as i would have enough UCAS points.

I just wondered if anyone here is in the army, or knows anyone in the army and whats its ACTUALLY like?? The DVD and website glorifies it abit.
Nath

29th Jun 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaSport14
Im currently working for Toyota as a Technician and have just finished my 3 years apprenticeship, and TBH...I hate it! new boss is a complete 'power mad' arse wank theres hardly anywork in and its so boring, im fed up of looking like a pikey going into work in shitty overalls etc etc.

I was thinking of joining the army. I looked into it and got the info pack with dvd blah blah and a careers officer contacted me and said i should consider going in for Officer Training, as i would have enough UCAS points.

I just wondered if anyone here is in the army, or knows anyone in the army and whats its ACTUALLY like?? The DVD and website glorifies it abit.

And you want to join the Army?
CorsaSport14

29th Jun 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol he does things like picks up your phone and goes through your messages, or reads your emails...
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cons
Hard work
Early starts
Low pay (not bad for officer)
Hard work
oh, hard work.
Likely to be sent to a war zone
Easy death

Pros.
Fire guns
Get paid to fire guns
Get to fire other things
Travel
Build a friend base thats like a family!!

Parents were both in the army, dad was a Mechanic for tanks, mum got pregnent They struggled after the army as many do, but officers get treated better.

Its a good hardworking life, but its hard to get a great career after. First 6months-1 year are the hardest, training and camp n such.

Then your probable to go to a war zone in current times, something to really consider.

Good luck with the choice though, it is a good, non financial rewarding job, hut it is hard work and heavy price to pay if things go wrong.
Nath

29th Jun 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its financial rewarding if you get posted. 6 months worth of wages without being able to spend a penny. My Mate came back from Iraq with thousands in the bank. Still though, you'll be in Iraq
oceansoul

29th Jun 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the raf not a slightly better choice for you. If you could carry on (sort of) your mechanical apprentiship into some kind of officier training in that field.

say that could prolly do that in the army
richc

29th Jun 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend is in the navy does AET (plane tech) and is on £22k a year and is 19 years old

A few of my best mates are he army (all posted in the kent area). From what both parties tell me, you work harder in the army fo your money!

They come back at weekends, but do alot of driving come back for 2 days the come back. But alot of time, they arnt here, away at weekends etc. Not good if you love home!
CorsaSport14

29th Jun 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

22k isnt bad for a 19 year old is he doing apprenticeship?
DizzyRebel

29th Jun 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would never join the army! You get training to be a soldier first, tradesman second. Army is for people who dont get on in society well and have too much of a criminal record to get in the raf/navy.

Best force to join is the RAF, just make sure you pick a trade that has good prospects for when you leave too.
CorsaSport14

29th Jun 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i was looking into the RAF or Navy. I wouldnt mind joining the RAF as an aeronautical engineer or something
CorsaSport14

29th Jun 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This looks & sounds up my street

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/weaponsystemsoperatorcrewman.cfm
J4M13

29th Jun 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the process of trying to join the Para's at the moment, i was going for the Raf regt but decided to change, want to be the best and all that and actually want to see good action when out on the ground.
I have quite a few close friends who have been in Army since leaving school and absolutely love it even after doing a couple tours in Afghan, and none of them are the kind of people Dizzyrebel has described, alot of people stereo type soldiers.

If you want to carry on your mechanic trade join the REME, you definatly wont be short of work there, if you are interested i can get more info of my mate whos a mechanic in REME.
kiddy_sean

29th Jun 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J4M13
Im in the process of trying to join the Para's at the moment, i was going for the Raf regt but decided to change, want to be the best and all that

i see they have brain washed you already
J4M13

29th Jun 09 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not quite, i decided to go for the Para's for my own reason's rather than the Raf regt, didnt need anyone at an afco or recruiting to get me to join.
I just used the words 'be the best and all that' as a short reference to my reasons why i want to join, as i dont think you guys on here are too interested in the full reasons why i want to join, or do you actually want to know?

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by J4M13]
kiddy_sean

29th Jun 09 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then..good luck with that mate its 1 fucking hard course to pass just to get a maroon beret and wings on ur arm...not worth it imo
kiddy_sean

29th Jun 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J4M13
No not quite, i decided to go for the Para's for my own reason's rather than the Raf regt, didnt need anyone at an afco or recruiting to get me to join.
I just used the words 'be the best and all that' as a short reference to my reasons why i want to join, as i dont think you guys on here are too interested in the full reasons why i want to join, or do you actually want to know?

not really
kz

29th Jun 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Looked into this kinda stuff before, but one thing major puts me off...

Usual service: 12 years
J4M13

29th Jun 09 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

ok then..good luck with that mate its 1 fucking hard course to pass just to get a maroon beret and wings on ur arm...not worth it imo

Its not worth it if you dont want it, to me its worth everything and more. Just the pure challenge of passing Pcoy and being pushed beyond my limits and comfort zone is one of the reasons You have to have a certain state of mind to join the Para's.

kiddy_sean

29th Jun 09 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
quote:

Looked into this kinda stuff before, but one thing major puts me off...

Usual service: 12 years

you dont have to do 12 years min more like 4
J4M13

29th Jun 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just one thing to add, CorsaSport14 dont let the recruiters at the afco talk you into jobs, get as much info as you can and try and talk to as many people you can about the job roles you are interested in and do what YOU want to do, alot of the time they will try and talk you into Jobs for one reason or another(usually to fill quota's or for you to join there Regiment etc)

www.mfat.co.uk is good to ask questions on fella.

kiddy_sean

29th Jun 09 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^yeah they try talk you into joining there regt / bn then when you say yes they will get you to sign abit of paper which will give them a few hundred in there pocket...trust me
J4M13

29th Jun 09 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tis true no matter which afco you visit. I was pre warned by all my close mates already in the army before i went down but didnt think it would be like they were making it out to be. But sure as eggs are eggs the Sergeant i spoke to tried his best to persuade me to join the Duke of Lancaster's Reg, his own Reg
he eventually gave up when he realised how adament on going for my own choice i was and now hes cool about it lol.

Just out of interest, have you served in the armed forces Sean?

Ojc

30th Jun 09 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Join the army, but not regular infantry. Get a trade in the army, signals or something.

Then after a tour of Iraq and 4 years service go work for one of the security firms in Iraq. Earn 100k a year, pay next to no tax.
Cosmo

30th Jun 09 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Then after a tour of Iraq and 4 years service go work for one of the security firms in Iraq. Earn 100k a year, pay next to no tax, get kidnapped and your head cut off.

edited for accuracy.
Neo

30th Jun 09 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Then your probable to go to a war zone in current times, something to really consider.

I think this is a given by joining the army.

If your worrying about money, danger or working hard then i wouldnt even bother applying to be honest, its all part and parcel of the job.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining The Army... 22 database queries in 0.0146170 seconds