corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Best Broadband Without BT line...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best Broadband Without BT line...
Jonster

User status: Offline
29th Jun 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this should be in Geek Day or House Day

Me and the Mrs are buying our first house and should be in by the end of next month

Currently the house has a phone line but is not connected, but is in a broadband area

What's the best deal for getting broadband through the line without paying BT for line rental

Could do with 8meg with 40gig download (unlimited would be better!)
Cole

29th Jun 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

become a new sky + customer get sky hd upto 8meg 40gig limit internet line rental unlimted free calss for £38 a month
Dom

29th Jun 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
become a new sky + customer get sky hd upto 8meg 40gig limit internet line rental unlimted free calss for £38 a month

Any info on this deal?

Because if you use the combination tool on their site, it's £36.50 for Sky+, 20mb Unlimited ADSL, Sky Talk and Sky Phone Line rental. Setup costs are £30 for the Sky TV and £25 for the phone line.

BT might also charge you £125 for the cost of connecting the phone line in the exchange.
I believe the Post Office had a deal where they were doing this for free (or very little) if you took out their ADSL.

If you're thinking about getting a phone line from BT (£11.25 a month, which includes free weekend calls) then O2 do 8meg unlimited for £7.34 (need to be an O2 customer, but you can just grab a free O2 PAYG sim card).

Head over to http://www.thinkbroadband.com (ADSL ISP forums) and have a browse around the forums.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Jun 09 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think you could have broadband without a phone line personally.
John

29th Jun 09 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't, apparently some places pay the BT line as part of your bill and take some of the 125 installation.
ed

29th Jun 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky seemed to think that I could pay them the line rental and save a whole 13p a month.
Jonster

30th Jun 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
If you're thinking about getting a phone line from BT (£11.25 a month, which includes free weekend calls) then O2 do 8meg unlimited for £7.34 (need to be an O2 customer, but you can just grab a free O2 PAYG sim card)

Yes I am on o2 PAYG so that would work out about £20 a month plus installation costs

Shame as we would be paying for a phone line that we would rarely use

Unless we got rid of one of our mobiles to offset this
Ste L

30th Jun 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
I didn't think you could have broadband without a phone line personally.

quote:
Originally posted by John
You can't, apparently some places pay the BT line as part of your bill and take some of the 125 installation.

virgin media - no phone line needed
Jonster

30th Jun 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BT WEBSITE
A £122.50 connection charge (subject to survey) may apply for new lines, but most people find they don't have to pay this. We'll contact you if it applies once you've ordered and we've made some checks. More about connection charge:

One-off connection charge
Connecting a new BT line costs £122.50 (incl. VAT). This charge only applies in some cases, but before we can confirm this we need to check your property. Most of our new customers find they don't need to pay this charge.
If your home has had a telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this charge. But where there's no suitable BT line available in your property, no dialling tone on the line, or if you have been disconnected for non-payment in the past, the standard connection charge will apply.
Please note that some properties, for example new property developments, may have a white BT socket installed that hasn't been connected (ie no dialling tone). In this case the standard connection charge will still apply.
The connection charge covers engineering work in your exchange or your property in order to connect the line and is subject to survey.
If you order a new line online, we'll let you know if the connection charge applies once we've checked your property and before we complete your order.If the charge does apply it will be added to your first BT bill

Taken from the BT website

There has been a phone line in the property (socket is still there) but I dont know if it has a dialing tone - will find out from the vendor
Jonster

30th Jun 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L

Virign media does work out slightly cheaper

Do they cap / monitior / restrict your downloads (eg ports blocked p2p banned etc?)

[Edited on 30-06-2009 by Jonster]
Dom

30th Jun 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jonster
quote:

Virign media does work out slightly cheaper

Do they cap / monitior / restrict your downloads (eg ports blocked p2p banned etc?)

[Edited on 30-06-2009 by Jonster]

The only restrictions they have are the traffic caps >Here<, which aren't too bad. But there's nothing else at the moment, although there are talks about tracking P2P data although you can get around a lot of it or just stick to rapidshare etc.
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Out of the 8 houses I've lived in, not one has had cable.
Dom

30th Jun 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Hence why they have a postcode checker and even if your houses have never had cable installed doesn't mean it's not out in the street, just a case of getting it installed.

Luckily the village i'm in has cable otherwise we'd be stuck with 2mbit ADSL (that's if you're lucky, the copper is piss poor quality around here) connection instead of the 20mbit (currently downloading at 2.5mb/s ) that Virgin can supply.

[Edited on 30-06-2009 by Dom]
Ste L

30th Jun 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

you must be unlucky then...

every place i've lived in, around manchester has had it - sale, sale moor, northern moor, altrincham, warrington,
John

30th Jun 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you live anywhere built in the last 15 years it's probably not in.

Everybody else also knew brett meant adsl when he said broadband originally, he wasn't talking about virgin.

New Poll