corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job day- Fire fighter

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job day- Fire fighter
ianofbhills

User status: Offline
5th Jul 09 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody on here a fire man or know a fire fighter?

I have some questions

I've heard its pretty hard to get in and become a firefighter how do you apply and suceed?

Whats the pay like, straight away and as you progress?

What shifts do they work?

Is there an age limit for recruiting?

AlunJ

5th Jul 09 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm sure there is at least one on here, can't think for the life of me who it is though. I looked into it, and occasionally your local station will hold a recruitment day. Best thing to do is find the website for your local force. From memory there was a fair bit of info on the south wales fire service website.
Jake

5th Jul 09 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try getting an interview then find out about the other stuff. i went to get an application form a couple of months ago and the queue was about 60deep. alot of builders who have lost their jobs on site are trying to get in aswell
chloe16v

5th Jul 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/
Gareth F

5th Jul 09 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My grandad was one and all he said to me is be prepared to pull mutilated bodies from car wrecks. He said thats the one thing that will stay with him. The satisfaction you get from saving people is amazing though, you gotta be headstrong and a strong stomach. He has never regretted doing it though.
gez bay

6th Jul 09 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i applied for a fire fighter before, you have to be 18+ if you apply and get a form, fill them in as neat as possible, photcopy the form a couple of times make sure you make no mistakes on the proper sheet. and make it neat as possible. i passed the first part and second iirc, but i failed the maths then

[Edited on 06-07-2009 by gez c16b]
mwg

6th Jul 09 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My StepDad is a fireman.

He's a bit higher up than a normal fireman now, been in for over 20 years.

He does 2 days of 9am to 6pm, then 2 nights of 6pm to 9am, then 4 days off. I think shift times and patterns vary depending which area you are in.

Pay wise he is getting in to the top tax bracket with a bit of overtime but he isn't a normal fireman. You probably start on around 20k at a guess.
Nath

6th Jul 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insanely hard to get into. My mate aced all the tests, even set time records in the physical, and still didn't make it. He's a switched on bloke too. That was for Oxfordshire. He's in the middle of a Bucks application now.
Seany

6th Jul 09 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said very hard to get into. they won't take you on at 18 so i've been told but you can still apply, most apparently look for 21 and older.
thousands apply to each station every year but they only take on a few of those.
thats what I was told when asking at my local station

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job day- Fire fighter 22 database queries in 0.0089900 seconds