corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » big big egr and engine problems please help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author big big egr and engine problems please help.
stingray1987

User status: Offline
   14th Jul 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right guys/gals im having big problems with my egr valve on my 1999 1.6 16v sport.
right i brought the car a couple of months ago and the first day the engine light come on (just my luck), took it the garage and it was the egr valve so i booked it in be changed.
they changed the valve and told me it got bloked open by a shard of metal. the metal was fairly clean and quict thin ( looks liek it could be part of a gasket).
anyway i drove off the garage forcort and less than half a mile up the road the light come back, so turned round and took it back the garage.
yep you geussed it the new egr valve wedged open with another bit of metal.

i was then told they would take the shard of metal out the valve and put a plate inbetween the engine and the egr valve so it would block it off but the car would still think the egr valve was still working.
problem is since ive had this done the engine light keeps coming on after high revs or when crusin say 70-80mph for a few mins.
it goes off if you turn the ignition off and back on again but every time it comes on the car goes really slow.
the car doesnt seem to be running right anyway as my friends 1.2 16v corsa c very almost keeps up with it lol.

wot can be done? and anyone have any ideas wot it could be? please help as i want to keep the car but im really getting anoyed and will end up getting rid soon if i dont get it sorted.
Mikey_j

14th Jul 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had mine blanked off for over a year now and have never had any problems. My light also comes on on decel after doing 70ish. I will do... reason being that because there is no gas circulating through it it thinks that there is something wrong All you need to worry about or not is that this is going to happen even though there is nothing wrong with the enigne. As for making the car go slow it makes no difference to engine running on mine whatsoever. Could possibly be apart of your imagination??
stingray1987

14th Jul 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it might be apart of my imagination it but 2 of my mates have said the same thing whilst in my car going to chesire oaks. just seems asif it goes into safe mode or sumot it hasnt got the same kick after 4,000rpm that it has with the light off.
but having shards of metal in the engine also worries me.
to be fair i just want it running like it supost to.

[Edited on 14-07-2009 by stingray1987]
johnhara1

14th Jul 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did the garage bolt the EGR straight onto the blanking plate?

If so, the plunger wont be able to move inside which will flag your EML.

Normally the plate is used and the EGR valve left to hang in the bay (tied up) but plugged in so the EML stays off.

There should be a blanking tutorial somewhere if you don't understand what i've just wrote.
stingray1987

14th Jul 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have a look cheers. if they have could i maybe get 2 or 3 normaly egr gasgets and put the blank plate on the bottom then the 2 or 3 gaskets to space it away from the plate give it some space but its still bolted in place soo looks nice and neat???
stingray1987

14th Jul 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here are some pics of my old egr valve blocked with the little bit of metal.

when the new egr valve got blocked before they unblocked it and blanked it off the bit of metal was at least double in size of the bit in this valve but still thin and it was shiny sort of like polished alloy. any ideas where it is comming from would be great.
stingray1987

15th Jul 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone must know where these shards of metal might be comming from?? What part of the engine does the egr valve cnect to? i know its at the back but is it just a link between inlet and exahust manifold or does it come from somewhere else?
Craigy_Boi

16th Jul 09 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EGR exhaust gas recirculation send some of your echaust gas back into the cylinder to get burned for fuel economy to anything getting pushed out by the psiton is passing through the egr valve so the metal could be bits of piston or valve

look at the link below that shows you the route of the exhasut gas and what it passes through

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=330648&d=1244360546
stingray1987

20th Jul 09 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there any way of knowing if it is part of a valve or piston? without taking the engine apart as it seems to be realy slow for a 1.6 aswell. well its about the same speed at my mates 1.2 16v corsa c sxi. but its not smoking,drinking oil or drinking petrol
djmattyh

20th Jul 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are the benifits of bypassing the egr valve??
stingray1987

20th Jul 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bits of metal coming out the engine dont wedge it open so it doesnt keep cutting out at junctions. there is no benifits if you dnt have problems already.
Kevxx

20th Jul 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if bits of metal are coming from your piston or valves, i'd get the head off that! Cause surely it's not long till something major goes wrong there?

New Poll