corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » what would you do, uni etc

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what would you do, uni etc
will_ainsworth

User status: Offline
16th Jul 09 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right im really unsure what to do im 19 not sure what i want to do with life, i did want to go traveling but i am really unsure.....

i have a insurance bond thingy which is to come out when im 20 but i can take it now and it isnt much difference,

anyway what would you do,

1. go to uni study photography or maybe a business corse. - at least this way i will gain some more qualifications, downside is that i will have debts etc but wouldnt really matter, it would look better in the future i supose with a degree.

2. Keep looking for a job (theres fuck all at the moment) and feel a discrace for being dole scum and probably end up in a dead end job once again that i hate and am only living to pay for modding cars lol. but this way after 3 months i can buy a house and pay a mortgage (im then stuck tho in a shitty job and cant go back to uni etc)

3. take the money, go travelling, take my camera learn all different pics (go for 6-12months) enjoy life to the max, and feel happy (which i dont feel), at the same time get a 'buy to let' mortgage and rent the place out so its paying for my mortgage, i would come back to my car, and a house if needed. but im also coming back to a fresh start with no job but i supose i would be in the same situation i am now, just a bit older.......

in the future id love to be in the police, but im too young and not fit enough yet anyway. my life/haed is screwed and i duno what to do....

3 sounds great, so does 1 but not as great, just i duno what to do as i have only got 2 months to rush things to get a place in uni, and what if i dont like it, i would have just a big loan to pay back i supose i could always come back and go uni when ever. i just dont want to end up 25 with fuck all, by not getting a job now and saving i deffo wont be getting a corvette on my 21st lol. but good things can wait till later, i need a career i supose, but i just dont know if photography will be a bit of a waste and not end up wanting to do it like what happened with my music stuff, and also i can learn alot of it via internet and practise etc.....

anyway i know some of you have prob been through a similar situation or been traveling or what not, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Join the RAF as a photographer. You wil travel the world, learn life skills, you can still get your buy-to-rent so when you leave the military you have a house lined up and there is nothing better on a CV than military experience, it counts more than a degree in a lot of jobs where they want to see committment, discipline and hard work.

It really isn't as bad as you expect, the marching around and inspections is only for a few months at the start, then it's like normal work. There is also the job security and meeting loads of women who get a wide-on just looking at you in uniform.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
will_ainsworth

16th Jul 09 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Join the RAF as a photographer. You wil travel the world, learn life skills, you can still get your buy-to-rent so when you leave the military you have a house lined up and there is nothing better on a CV than military experience, it counts more than a degree in a lot of jobs where they want to see committment, discipline and hard work.

It really isn't as bad as you expect, the marching around and inspections is only for a few months at the start, then it's like normal work. There is also the job security and meeting loads of women who get a wide-on just looking at you in uniform.

i did want to join the forces a few months back, i got all fit but fucked my knee up, so that means i have to get all fit again as ive put alot of weight back on, so that will take a good few months and then i could get fluid on my knee again in a few months i supose i could get a shitty job while i train tho...
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 01:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hardly did any training when I joined and it is really a piece of piss, not like the Army where you have to do loads of running with backpacks on!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
will_ainsworth

16th Jul 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did you train as, when i went to the careers office last year, i was planning to join as a officer, but i needed math gcse or equiv, so went and got nvq level 2 in math and they said it wasnt accepted lol. i cba doing a gcse again like i was 15.
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 01:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was an avionics technician. It will be a bit different as I was in a technical tade and photographers are classed as 'non-technical' in the RAF's eyes so qualifications are less, I think you only need 2 gcse's for it

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/photographer.cfm

will_ainsworth

16th Jul 09 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh just been reading it, as snoby as this sounds, i think if i do get fit and choose the forces then i might aswell go for as high as i can and maybe not do photography? im not stupid, i have enough - gcsemaths to go in as a officer so i have a wide range of jobs to go for i supose. just biggest thing is getting fit as im a fat fucker again lol
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 01:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a GCSE in maths is a fairly critical qualification to have tbh. If you don't have that, then you don't have what it takes. Officers need to have at least 5 GCSE's and 2 A levels and to be a proper officer doing engineering you will need a degree aswell. Snobery has nothing to do with it. You need to have the maths as a basic.

chloe16v

16th Jul 09 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wish i had some qualifications
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 01:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you did you could have just opened a £3500 pay packet. Minus the £1k in tax and NI

will_ainsworth

16th Jul 09 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well a GCSE in maths is a fairly critical qualification to have tbh. If you don't have that, then you don't have what it takes. Officers need to have at least 5 GCSE's and 2 A levels and to be a proper officer doing engineering you will need a degree aswell. Snobery has nothing to do with it. You need to have the maths as a basic.

i have a nvq level 2 in math which is c-a star equiv, but during school i missed alot of coursework due to my dad passing away i still got 3 b's 3 c's d's and a e in maths lol, then i have over 250 ucas points from college, if i want to be a officer tho i deffo need the maths gcse, but i could do something else bar officer which is a better paid/ better job i suppose
chloe16v

16th Jul 09 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wish i went to school now, i wouldnt mind but you spend all night on here when you are ment to be working
chloe16v

16th Jul 09 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought everywhere accepted nvq maths or level 2-3 maths now
Ste
Premium Member

16th Jul 09 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cb87
i wouldnt mind but you spend all night on here when you are ment to be working

I get paid for what I know, not what I do

[Edited on 16-07-2009 by Ste W]

Graham88

16th Jul 09 at 04:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cb87
i wouldnt mind but you spend all night on here when you are ment to be working

I get paid for what I know, not what I do

Sounds like the Underground
dannymccann

16th Jul 09 at 05:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking on the website this morning, some very interesting jobs on there, very interested in Air Traffic Controller and the like, i dont think id be very good front line

Might have to fill the applications out. Ive got a degree so am good for most of them, think my fitness is down though? And ive never before wanted to join forces so how would I fare in the interview
John

16th Jul 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you had 50k and were waiting on more, how would you be in debt?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jul 09 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by will_ainsworth
i cba doing a gcse again like i was 15.
I did a GCSE this year and I'm 31.

If it's so easy you'll get a good grade.
Robbo

16th Jul 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go travelling, then go Uni! Kinda wish I had done that now
liamC

16th Jul 09 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by will_ainsworth
i cba doing a gcse again like i was 15.
I did a GCSE this year and I'm 31.

If it's so easy you'll get a good grade.

What did you redo?

I failed GCSE maths at school, then resat in college and failed again, so fucked it off and never did end up passing it.

Still think I'd fail it even now.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jul 09 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wasn't a resit, it was Spanish for the first time. I didn't do any languages in school.
Matt L

16th Jul 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uni then travel imo.
Ojc

16th Jul 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I do a GCSE again then?

That's ridiculous, could I do my entire GCSE courses? Do I need to do coursework?

Can I actually go back to school?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jul 09 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do whatever is running. Course work requirement is based on the qual. I didn't do any for Spanish but Maths probably has some. Not sure, may also depend on the awarding body.

Your main problem now is that it would be woefully expensive. You're talking around £200 each.
Ojc

16th Jul 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ste,

This is for the photography job in the RAF

Qualifications you need: 2 GCSEs/SCEs at grade G/6 minimum or equivalent in English language and maths

Is that grade 'G' as in the lowest mark you can get in Maths? Because I got an 'F' in Maths as I didn't go to the lesson for the last year as the teacher was a fucking wanker.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » what would you do, uni etc 23 database queries in 0.0136280 seconds