corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what to do? (headunit)

Poll: what to do? (headunit)
  keep standard headunit
  change to aftermarket

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what to do? (headunit)
sampayne21

User status: Offline
21st Aug 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right have 2 options on what headunit to use in my car, after some opinions on what you would do

option 1, keep standard bmw headunit with a 6 cd changer, then add parrot/ipod kit and a line converter for a pre-out for a amp/sub, i just like the way standard headunits match the rest of the car and are better security imo

option 2, change to aftermarket some thing like this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_720551_langId_-1_categoryId_165474
which will give me better sound quality with two preouts

both will work out to be around the same price around the £200 mark
Brett
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 06:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a stereo where you're gonna need a face-plate adaptor to get it to fit right then no, otherwise yes.
Adam-D

21st Aug 09 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would go for the aftermarket headunit.
you will need a facia and loom but will get better sound and wont be as messy as additional kits tagged onto the original headunit.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He'll still be running the same speakers. Better sound would be minimal IMO as they're not cheap crap to begin with and usually produced by a major audio manufacturer like Bose, Harmon Kardon, etc. The thing I like about BMW, Audi and the likes with their setups is everything just works how it should. I can turn my stereo up to max everything, no distortion, no messing. Looks crap when you have to use a facia and there's a few inch gap either side too.
RichR
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be careful with some of the more luxury brands, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes etc. The CD Changer and Stereo are built into the security and immoboliser system so removing them can cause all kinds of problems. Dad's CD Changer has stopped working, he looked at replacing the whole system with an aftermarket one as Jag wanted a ridiculous price for the change alone - he had it all done by a high end/proffessional ICE installers and he had loads of problems as soon as it was done. In the end they've put the original OE back in and the problems were cured straight away
RichR
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yours might not do that but worth checking
Adam-D

21st Aug 09 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive only had 1 bmw play up with after market systems, i think it was a fabricated problem.

"i-e the wife seen how much he spent and she went nuts"

had a golf go nuts with a aftermarket system. but these were tested by someone else so i cant veryfy how accurate the problem is/was.
Adam-D

21st Aug 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its normally french cars with can-bus that go mad, but this can always be sorted with a can-bus loop bypass lead.
3lfz

21st Aug 09 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd stick with the standard one if its gonna cause problems, but if not, that headunit is cheaper here:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-103bt.html
oceansoul

21st Aug 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the stereo can sometimes also be intergreated with onboard computer (trip computer) etc. Some systems in luxury cars are fitted with 2ohm speakers that are designed for the standard fit equipment. I know that omega elite has bose system fitted and that isnt simple to change.
sampayne21

21st Aug 09 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removing the headunit is no problem at all, same with facia and loom i have loads laying around, spose its down to sound quality or looks,

speakers will be upgraded at a later date, there only the basic crappy speakers not the harmon/ karden ones most bmw's come standard

i plan to build a decent system over time so the aftermarket is going to make life easier,

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
. The thing I like about BMW, Audi and the likes with their setups is everything just works how it should. I can turn my stereo up to max everything, no distortion, no messing.

the amplified speakers really do make a difference in these types of cars
John

21st Aug 09 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
be careful with some of the more luxury brands, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes etc.

Like most cars you buy now

Renault aren't a luxury brand are they, I'm sure the corsas do it as well now
sampayne21

21st Aug 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
be careful with some of the more luxury brands, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes etc.

Like most cars you buy now

Renault aren't a luxury brand are they, I'm sure the corsas do it as well now

tbh most new cars are easy as long as you understand lives, earths and can bus wiring
Anty
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dnt be a badger...

CHANGE IT !!
sam-smith

21st Aug 09 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got thgat stereo its good

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what to do? (headunit) 22 database queries in 0.0064499 seconds