corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Need some geeky laptop help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need some geeky laptop help
smcGSI16V

User status: Offline
24th Aug 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some desperate help, something has gone tits up with my laptop and I haven't aclue.

Running xp, basically it's saying it has a load of files missing in xp, wireles no longer works, and norton has fucked up and I can't even access that.
Everytime I tried to run norton it turned the laptop off.

Now it won't even fire up, just says "because secur32.dll was not found".
Won't go into bios setup so I can't even reboot.

I fear it has completely died and imploded on me.

Can anybody save my trusty laptop from the dust bin.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Aug 09 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a system restore on it
smcGSI16V

24th Aug 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't even get to the normal windows page, menus etc, they just won't load. It stops with the error on a blue screen and thats it.

It was ok yesterday.
oceansoul

25th Aug 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

windows install repair. I had a similer problem with my mates desktop a week or so ago....as your prem, you should be able to search for my thread on it.
andy1868

25th Aug 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will it go into safe mode? when you turn the computer on, continually hit F8 and you should get a menu that comes up in black and white, choose safe mode and try a system restore from there?

if you can't get into safe mode you'll need to boot an XP disc and choose the "repair an install" option. but we can go into more detail on that if safe mode doesn't work
noshua

25th Aug 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put the xp disk in, boot from cd (should do automatically, if not go into bios and change it so that CD boots before HDD), launch windows repair and follow instructions. it'll copy all the missing files over, should work.
smcGSI16V

25th Aug 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed after 2 hours of turning it on and and it switching itself of to get it to run, but everything was wiped off, nothing worked fullstop. Rebooted and tryed reinstalling stuff but no joy.

So I think it's terminal with regards to something inside. It was 5 years old and compared to new laptops now very under specced, and the last couple of years always ran very hot, maybe it's burnt itself out if they do that.

So I'm goingto have to buy a new one.
I only have a budget of £400. My mrs is the uk office manager for AMD and the guys there have recommended I look at a toshiba L300d-22e + it has £50 cash back as well.
Ben G

26th Aug 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a dell inspiron, they are good enough.
oceansoul

26th Aug 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
So I think it's terminal with regards to something inside. It was 5 years old and compared to new laptops now very under specced, and the last couple of years always ran very hot, maybe it's burnt itself out if they do that.

My advent laptop did that. not terminal, but it gets uber hot, and with the lid shut, the screen goes all wierd n it needs rebooting.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st Aug 09 at 01:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the l305d its pretty decent
noshua

31st Aug 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
I managed after 2 hours of turning it on and and it switching itself of to get it to run, but everything was wiped off, nothing worked fullstop. Rebooted and tryed reinstalling stuff but no joy.

So I'm goingto have to buy a new one.
I only have a budget of £400. My mrs is the uk office manager for AMD and the guys there have recommended I look at a toshiba L300d-22e + it has £50 cash back as well.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/470753/dell-inspiron-1545-laptop-core-2-du/

New Poll