corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Loosing weight without mass loads of cardio???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Loosing weight without mass loads of cardio???
John G

User status: Offline
6th Sep 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i joined the gym bout 3 months ago, was hitting it hard but 100% cardio no weights, i was doing wel, as i was eatin wel in conjunction with me training, but 6 weeks ago i done my knee in playin football, i havent touched a ball since, the result is a torn meniscul cartlidge on the inside of my knee, im currently havin physio once every 2 weeks and awaiting an MRI to see hw bad it is and if i need key hole.

As a result i can only manage about 12-16mins of cardio per session on either bike or cross trainer as its non impact machery but its just not enough and i can feel myself gettin sluggish again.

What else can i do to loose the weight in the meantime, i would swim but however sad it may sound, i cant swim i majorly pannic in water
bigdan

6th Sep 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ephidrine
John G

6th Sep 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

care to illabirate?
Carl

6th Sep 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good time to learn to swim? Lods of people learn as adults. I've fancied having them to learn how to do the front crawl as I can only do breast stroke and my shoulder clicks when I do it (doesn't hurt, just doesnt sound right!)
Do they have any hand bikes at your gym or one of those rope pulling machines etc?
Cosmo

6th Sep 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, as said it sounds like the perfect time to learn to swim, it'll also probably help should you need surgery in you rehabilitation.
John G

6th Sep 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have the hand bike yea, take it thats where your arms basically pedal?

dont think they had adult swimin lessons at the gym, iv had mates say they will teach me but id rather they didnt, pretty embarasing, its not that i can swim im just not a smooth swimmer and im fucked after one length, if i had one of them boards u used to hold out infront of you when u were kids i cud swim all day
John G

6th Sep 09 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Aye, as said it sounds like the perfect time to learn to swim, it'll also probably help should you need surgery in you rehabilitation.

the exercises i am doin at the moment are aimed at keepin the thigh muscle and hamstring strong as it will help if i do need keyhole.
Cosmo

6th Sep 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get yourself in the pool with a few mates and get them to teach you. You're obviously a fairly fit lad so it wont take you long at all to pick it up tbh.
John G

6th Sep 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its just technique and composure i havent got, i wouldnt say fit, i need to loose a good stone i think.
Cosmo

6th Sep 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but what I mean is you arent one of these fat old codgers who tend not to be able to swim and you see trying to learn. You're young, relatively fit, do sport, etc. so should pick it up really quick and then its just practice....which will keep up the cardio at the same time.
John G

6th Sep 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very true, wil have to enquire, its the embarrasment factor i thoink more then anythin.

Any other ways bar swimming
jim_r1

6th Sep 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you do weights? I had a similar knee problem and spent the time doing upper body weights in the gym. Put weight on but all muscle mass, no fat etc.
John G

6th Sep 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos i could do with loosin weight before building up the muscle behind the fat. iv been doin sum weights the last 2 weeks but feel lathargic as im not doin much cardio
Cosmo

6th Sep 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, if you can do as much cardio then yoy may as well get the time in doing some weight work for toning - its better than getting out of the rhythm of going to the gym.
John G

6th Sep 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont i just be tonin muscle behind fat tho? or will it change the fat?
jim_r1

6th Sep 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your diet is sorted then you should lose fat doing weights. Im not sure how it works but weights also helps with your long term metabolsim where as cardio doesnt. Supose this doesnt help the lathargic feeling though.

[Edited on 06-09-2009 by jim_r1]
Cosmo

6th Sep 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
wont i just be tonin muscle behind fat tho? or will it change the fat?

Does it matter though, even if it doesnt help you lose any weight (it should do), it'll help for when your knee is back to its best and you can do more cardio again.
DizzyRebel

6th Sep 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
cos i could do with loosin weight before building up the muscle behind the fat. iv been doin sum weights the last 2 weeks but feel lathargic as im not doin much cardio

Grinds my bones when i hear people say that.

Basically, the more muscle on your body - the more calories your body uses to simply maintain that muscle mass. So the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn simply sitting on your arse and thats a fact.

The second fact is half hour of intense weights burns over twice as many calories as you would running on a treadmill.

Finally, once you have finished weight training your bodys metabolism sky rockets as it tries to repair the muscle fibres you damaged. So even after you finish training your body continues to use calories to repair itself.

So if you want to loose weight, fuck the cardio off... notice the trend in gyms: the fat people who spend all there time on the treadmill stay fat and if you go back to them a year later there will be very little if any difference to them. However look in the weight room - full of people in shape and they continue to improve year after year. The people in the weight room know that anymore than 15 minutes on a treadmill is a waste and it sends you catabolic.

My advice - start weight training, up protein intake and drop carbs.

[Edited on 06-09-2009 by DizzyRebel]
John G

6th Sep 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need cardio as i do alot of football so weights wont make me last 90mins will it! and also i dont wanna be a beefcake hense why i havent hit the weights

ps. im sorry if my statement grinds ur bones, im stil learnin all this

[Edited on 06-09-2009 by John G]
DizzyRebel

7th Sep 09 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont become a beefcake overnight, thats an excuse pussys use so they dont have to weight train.

You can do sports specific drills as well as upper body conditioning with weights. Theres nothing to stop you doing higher rep lighter weight workouts as well as squats and deads go give your chicken legs some power!
Dan
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta agree with dizzy on all this.

Ive now dropped 17lb in just under 5 weeks.

Get your diet spot on, no carbs after 12pm, plenty of protien and veg after 12, and wholemeal bread/rice/pasta before 12.

If you can only manage 12-15mins in the gym, you should got down the HIT road, (high intensity training), get on the bike, at normal pace for 2mins, flat out for 2mins, and repeat 3-4 times.

I do agree with dizzy that u need to be doing weights to drop the fat faster, however, im still not doing weights, as i purely want to lose weight, im not arsed either way if i lose muscle or not, i just wanna get to a respectable weight, to feel more comftable in myself.

Once ive hit my goal of 190lb (9lb to go) i will most defo be starting the training.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As cosmo has asked, i thought id post up....

diet..

2 weetabix semi skimmed milk for brekkie

Bit of fruit mid morning

either chicken/beef/salmon with rice or veg for dinner (or if on early shift i hae a wholemeal sandwich with chicken salad no mayo etc) Yoghurt for desert

Bit of fruit mid afternoon

Either chicken/beef/pork/salmon (sometime marinated with low sugar/fat sauces to make it more interesting) with veg and 1 or 2 small new potatoes and a yoghurt

bit of fruit mid evening if pekish.

Drink between 3-4 litres of water a day

Training:

Mon - Weds - Sat, HIT cardio (currently treadmill for 2mins walk, 2mins sprint flat out, repeated 3 times)

Tues - Fri, 2 hour game of tennis at a decent rate

I have the last week started taking thermopure (a fat loss supplement)

I spoke to dizzy about this and he said its aload of crap,as do alot of people, but, i have lost 2-3.5lb a week until this last week where i have lost 5lb, so itseither coincidence or the pills (and no i havent changed diet or training one bit)

DizzyRebel

7th Sep 09 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
As cosmo has asked, i thought id post up....

diet..

2 weetabix semi skimmed milk for brekkie

Bit of fruit mid morning

either chicken/beef/salmon with rice or veg for dinner (or if on early shift i hae a wholemeal sandwich with chicken salad no mayo etc) Yoghurt for desert

Bit of fruit mid afternoon

Either chicken/beef/pork/salmon (sometime marinated with low sugar/fat sauces to make it more interesting) with veg and 1 or 2 small new potatoes and a yoghurt

bit of fruit mid evening if pekish.

Drink between 3-4 litres of water a day

Training:

Mon - Weds - Sat, HIT cardio (currently treadmill for 2mins walk, 2mins sprint flat out, repeated 3 times)

Tues - Fri, 2 hour game of tennis at a decent rate

I have the last week started taking thermopure (a fat loss supplement)

I spoke to dizzy about this and he said its aload of crap,as do alot of people, but, i have lost 2-3.5lb a week until this last week where i have lost 5lb, so itseither coincidence or the pills (and no i havent changed diet or training one bit)

Your training is crap lol, and you would strive to loose even more weight if you did some weights. PS scale weight isnt an indication of burning fat either as you will be loosing some muscle too... if you drop more than 2lb a week then chances are your loosing muscle too. If you were weight training the weight wouldnt drop as fast, but you would look better quicker.

Your diets obviously made the biggest change to your body with eating a relatively small amount of clean calories, its good for a target of weight loss but not good to maintain for a long period of time! Soon as you hit your target weight its time to up the protein, apply peri workout carbs and get yourself in the weight room
Dan
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It cant be that crap to drop 17lb in under 5 weeks

My goal is and never will be the same as yours. Its working for me, and im achieving what i want to achieve.

Im happy with it

Nath

7th Sep 09 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So many differing opinions on whats good and whats not. I've got an appointment at my gym tonight about nutrition. I'll post what he suggests, and see who on here agree's. Is it an exact science? Or does it differ from person to person? Interests me tbh.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Loosing weight without mass loads of cardio??? 24 database queries in 0.0146661 seconds