corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Self Employment or Limited Company

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Self Employment or Limited Company
AndyKent

User status: Offline
8th Oct 09 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking of setting up a business/company for some time (I messaged Robbo about this over a year ago ) but have never taken it any further than planning in my mind.

Basically, at this point I'm not looking to actually operate as a business, merely own one. Basically, I have been doing more and more photography lately, most of it on the side, some paid and some for favours. Now a bit of news at my main employment has prompted me to think about taking the idea further.

So, as it stands I work full time (and intend to stay that way) and obviously earn my wage through that company who pay all NI contributions/tax usual. I've got my own reasons for starting a company which I don't really need to explain, but at this stage I'm not actually planning on pushing to earn money through business, just use it as a way to tidy up any work I do on the side.

Basically my question is, are there any tax advantages of being either self-employed or running a limited company whilst earning a wage elsewhere, and if so which is better?

For example, can I legally sink money into a company as a loan, and have the company buy things I would buy anyway and then reclaim tax due to it technically making a loss? Or doesn't it work like that

Cheers
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only real benefit going ltd is that if it goes belly up, any creditors cant chase you for the money. Although i cant see a photography business being rife for debt. It costs to go ltd too.

Also you cant just buy day to day items and them claim them back as tax at the end of the year. The ir will investigate you and you will get stung with a massive tax bill lol.

John

8th Oct 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are massive benefits to ltd if you are making enough money, not just that you can't be chased for money. I don't know the ins and outs though.
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There are massive benefits to ltd if you are making enough money, not just that you can't be chased for money. I don't know the ins and outs though.

I should know, i went on a course for this but i cant for the life of me remember. I do remember the only key point that caught my attention was not being held liable for debts. Im pretty sure cosmo will explain thoroughly though.
BarnshaW

LTD has limited liability meaning you could only really lose what you put in

PLC is a private company and if it goes tits up you could end up losing your house etc to clear debts.

less paperwork is involved in setting up a PLC then an LTD.
AndyKent

Thats what I'm asking really. If I was a sole trader (or limited company) what kind of tax advantage might I be able to gain?

To clarify, I'm likely to register as either one or the other regardless of the answer to the question, just want to know where I stand on things like this legally.

Also, I don't plan for the company to go into debt (unless I lend it my own money for whatever reason) so I'm not really fussed about the liability part at this stage (even though I know its the main reason you would choose one over the other).

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by AndyKent]
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Thats what I'm asking really. If I was a sole trader (or limited company) what kind of tax advantage might I be able to gain?

To clarify, I'm likely to register as either one or the other regardless of the answer to the question, just want to know where I stand on things like this legally.

None, you still have to pay NI and you will still be taxed at the same rates as an employed person would be. The only benefit is you can choose (within reason) what you could buy on the company you could write off as expenses. The other benefit is if you do cash work you dont have to declare it thus it will be tax free.
N16K

8th Oct 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ltd is safer for the individual, if possible.
Hammer

8th Oct 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As has been said there are massive benefits of being a limited company if your turnover is at a certain level. I joined a small self employed company 4 or 5 years ago, it grew big enough within a year to become limited at around about the 45k profit mark for what it's worth and that was based on the accountants opinion who was a former tax man.
Matt L

8th Oct 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sole trader = personal tax return on any money you make totally.

limited company = personal tax return + corporation tax (tax on business profits)

probably loads more im just to lazy to think at the moment and tbf i should know more about it all seen as im doing tax at the moment
AndyKent

8th Oct 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:

None, you still have to pay NI and you will still be taxed at the same rates as an employed person would be. The only benefit is you can choose (within reason) what you could buy on the company you could write off as expenses. The other benefit is if you do cash work you dont have to declare it thus it will be tax free.

I'm pretty sure I can avoid NI by making a small earnings exception as income with be less than £5700 (or whatever the figure is). Presumably I can't be taxed on earnings if I or the company doesn't make a profit?
Matt L

8th Oct 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure I can avoid NI by making a small earnings exception as income with be less than £5700 (or whatever the figure is). Presumably I can't be taxed on earnings if I or the company doesn't make a profit?

if you were limited and took 470 a month out of the company you wouldnt pay ni or paye anything above and you start paying.

i really wish my head was with it and i could tell you more but my heads fooked atm

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by Matt L]
stuartmitchell

8th Oct 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of my candidates have themselves set up as aLtd company for tax reasons. Costs £70 I think!

Ltd company, offshore account in Zurich - Tax who? lol!
Matt L

8th Oct 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh also if you go limited you will have to complete accounts and send them to companies house and all that jazz (keep people like me in a job ) but if your a sole trader you dont have to do accounts but you will need the profit/loss to be calculated for your tax return.
DizzyRebel

8th Oct 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont be subject to PAYE NI contributions. NI when self employed is optional, but if you want a state pension when you retire then you have to pay a minimum of 30 years iirc. If you dont then you wont get a state pension. its something daft like £2 a week anyway so you may as well pay it.
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking at some of the points in this thread. Im half baked and can tell you half of what has been posted in here is shite.

I'll post up my recommendation in the morning when I can go through everything clearly for you, although just to give you a quick insight now, being self employed is a much better option tax wise now given what you have said.
AndyKent

8th Oct 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a reminder than that the activity of either type of business in the short term would be minimal. I'm pretty sure if I could work out double entry book-keeping I could do accounts for free myself tbh. It'd be quite a short document given there would be very little income and expenditure going on. Basically it would be deliberately breaking even.

Out of interest, how much would you/your company charge for a limited companies accounts?
AndyKent

8th Oct 09 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You wont be subject to PAYE NI contributions. NI when self employed is optional, but if you want a state pension when you retire then you have to pay a minimum of 30 years iirc. If you dont then you wont get a state pension. its something daft like £2 a week anyway so you may as well pay it.

Given that my main employment is still paying my contributions I think I'd probably be ok without bothering. Every £2 helps

Nice one Cosmo, it'll wait til the morning
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it this way, We have two companies...

Our bridal business with 5 shops turnover is over £1m (well over tbh), this is Ltd.

Our ladieswear shop is a partnership (basically self-employed) and turns over approx £250k, but as partners we all claim out phone, petrol, other allowances to this company which we cant in the Ltd. We then charge a management charge over to the partnership from the ltd company.
stuartmitchell

8th Oct 09 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get paid cash in hand lol
Tommy L

8th Oct 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what you have said in your original post, you will be better off just being a sole trader for the time being. If it does take off and starts to grow, then look in to making it a LTD company.
Cosmo

8th Oct 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
From what you have said in your original post, you will be better off just being a sole trader for the time being. If it does take off and starts to grow, then look in to making it a LTD company.

Pretty much sums up what I'll post tomorrow tbh.
AndyKent

8th Oct 09 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do that yes, except I have a charity willing to pay me over a grand for work I've done but for some reason say they can only pay to a registered (limited) company else they'll have to pay it through a member of my family who works for them but will take off 40% tax

If there is going to be no long-lasting benefit though I've got no problem being a sole-trader, just exploring all my options really.

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by AndyKent]
Matt L

quote:
Just a reminder than that the activity of either type of business in the short term would be minimal. I'm pretty sure if I could work out double entry book-keeping I could do accounts for free myself tbh. It'd be quite a short document given there would be very little income and expenditure going on. Basically it would be deliberately breaking even.

Out of interest, how much would you/your company charge for a limited companies accounts?

if that was to me feck knows he has no set prices i really have no idea how he decides on prices but he doesnt really charge much if what we get given off a client is in some sort of order and basically makes out life easy

for example 1 client who basically brings us a box of mixed up reciepts = around 3k+vat (a pretty busy company therefore takes pissing ages to do it )
another client who is small and had all his stuff in order easy to follow be around £300-500+vat possibly

totally depends on how much work is involved

the only thing i do know is tax returns are £100-£110+vat

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by Matt L]
Robbo

agree with cosmos first pot, some nonsense in here

best bet (i cba to explain myself right now) is to go to wikipedia or summat

key benefit of being a limited company is you get limited liabiolity to losses, damages etc. limited to what you invest. hence "limited" company

google will help

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Self Employment or Limited Company 22 database queries in 0.1888340 seconds