corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » apprenticeships

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author apprenticeships
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 09 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently work for BT in a call centre on 7.70 per hour plus bonus works at 20k ish a year if i do well, im 21 and have went from shit job to shit job since school, i can afford a significant paycut as my monthly bills only come to 500 ish max. I hate my job and am thinking of doing an apprentichip as a plumber or electricion, what are peoples thoughts on older apprentices? im thinking shit wage for 3 years but then better for life?
AndyKent

22nd Nov 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

21 isn't old. Wouldn't think anyone would have a problem taking on a 21 year old as an apprentice.
Jamie-C

22nd Nov 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing a plumbing apprentice. Its good and I enjoy but the pay is shit. Because I'm in my 1st year and I'm so young I only get £40 a week of the college and my employer gives me fuck all
Pop

22nd Nov 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get in with a good company in a sector we will always rely on and in my opinion you are onto a winner.
kz

22nd Nov 09 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
21 isn't old. Wouldn't think anyone would have a problem taking on a 21 year old as an apprentice.

I tried looking for apprenticeships a few years back and no one would take me on as I was over 18!
Ryan

22nd Nov 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in my 4th year now at BAe Systems, i started straight from school so i thought i was loaded taking home £550 a month in my first year.lol.

I was on about 7.50ish/hour at the start of my 3rd year. Currently on just over £10/hour plus 33% shift pay plus as much overtime as i want at time+shift pay+60%

Due another pay rise at easter and then next september i go onto full money.

[Edited on 22-11-2009 by RYAN89]
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

few websites such as national grid etc say they get funding up to 24 year old, and they pay school leavers above min wage so there would be no difference in wages. most schemes start in january is what i was thinking
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RYAN89
Im in my 4th year now at BAe Systems, i started straight from school so i thought i was loaded taking home £550 a month in my first year.lol.

I was on about 7.50ish/hour at the start of my 3rd year. Currently on just over £10/hour plus 33% shift pay plus as much overtime as i want at time+shift pay+60%

they make shells dont they?
Pop

22nd Nov 09 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely most start in August/September for when the colleges start again?
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Surely most start in August/September for when the colleges start again?

yea but british gas, councills etc recruit way before that
DaveyLC

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
Ryan

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:

The site at Birtley which i think your takling about does yea, i work at Radway Green, making small arms.
Pop

22nd Nov 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it all depends on how many palces are available as to how long the recruitment process takes. I know that ny girkfriend recruits the pprentices for an energy provider and the application process starts in November and people start in August.
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

The site at Birtley which i think your takling about does yea, i work at Radway Green, making small arms.

yea birtley is 5 mins from my house in washington, my previous employers used to make cages etc for them
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I think it all depends on how many palces are available as to how long the recruitment process takes. I know that ny girkfriend recruits the pprentices for an energy provider and the application process starts in November and people start in August.

lol who? this is the kinda thing i need
Pop

22nd Nov 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pop

lol who? this is the kinda thing i need

u2u'd
taylorboosh

22nd Nov 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate. had a look says opening soon for apps on the website so ill keep checking back
Colin

22nd Nov 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started an apprenticeship at 24

Another year to go & i'll be time served earning 3x what I was in a shit job before I took the initiative to do something about it!
Hammer

22nd Nov 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look about first, you'll struggle to get anything in a climate where most companies are shedding apprentices rather than taking them in. You'll also be at a disadvantage being the age you are, the government subsidies don't exist between either 20 or 21 up to 26, i think it is, where you can be considered an adult apprentice.
scottyp1989

23rd Nov 09 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
I'm doing a plumbing apprentice. Its good and I enjoy but the pay is shit. Because I'm in my 1st year and I'm so young I only get £40 a week of the college and my employer gives me fuck all

you are supposed to be paid a minimum wage of £90 a week by law by your employer if you are an aprentice.

taylorboosh

23rd Nov 09 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Have a look about first, you'll struggle to get anything in a climate where most companies are shedding apprentices rather than taking them in. You'll also be at a disadvantage being the age you are, the government subsidies don't exist between either 20 or 21 up to 26, i think it is, where you can be considered an adult apprentice.

the goverment website says you are wrong
sxibeast

23rd Nov 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprenticeships are excellent if you get into the right company that will fully support your throughout your learning! They are well worth doing and you can learn a hell of a lot! It is hard work sometimes, but worth it as it soon goes by!

I started my apprenticeship at the age of 20 with the Home Office. Ive now completed that, done an ONC, HNC, 2D CAD, now working on and OU degree in Mechanical Engineering whilst doing a 3D Inventor course all paid for by the company.

You are never to old to do an apprenticeship; the oldest mechanical apprentice at Milton Keynes college is 46 and just started this year

[Edited on 23-11-2009 by sxibeast]
taylorboosh

23rd Nov 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow you wouldnt happen to have the website you applied on or anything mate?
scottyp1989

23rd Nov 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im doing one at the min an in my last year, they are great TBH pay can be a bit low to start with but once qualified will soon go up. started mine at 19 but wish i would have carried on an done it after i finished school now
sxibeast

23rd Nov 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wow you wouldnt happen to have the website you applied on or anything mate?

I found mine by chance through the local paper, but if there are any big government establishments or big frims around your area, try them! Big firms usually have an intake of a few students a year - aim for aerospace, renewable energy/energy or marine firms (or big manufacturing places).

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » apprenticeships 22 database queries in 0.0168269 seconds