corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track Day Car, Road Car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track Day Car, Road Car?
tom-gardiner

User status: Offline
2nd Dec 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who had a track day car that they also use as their everyday car? does it work? whats the main pain in the arse? ovously the lack of back seat ect. anything else?
Matt L

2nd Dec 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noise, cold in the winter boiling in the summer, tyres/brakes will need to be changed more.

never owned one but just my thoughts.
broster
Premium Member

2nd Dec 09 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used my clio on track and on the road, was a bit uncomfortable on long journeys, but still was useable, wouldnt be as good on the road with harnesses and buckets.

was more a road car used on track. the corsa is a bit more track orientate and is a mare on the road.
Nic Barnes

2nd Dec 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use my stripped out 1/4 mile corsa a lot on the road. its not that bad but like broster says with clio longer journeys are a bit uncomfy. i find if i drive it down twisty roads etc that you kinda forget about it being uncomfy and noisey and rattly etc. if you sit on motorway or boring a roads it becomes more tedious.
AK

2nd Dec 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just leave the creature comforts in if its a road car that will see a few trackdays a year.

Only strip it to bare bones if its a track car that will see the road a few times a year.
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Dec 09 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine will be used on track eventually, when I've sorted everything I want on it. At the minute it's stripped out and really noisy, still loads of fun though.
Adam_B

2nd Dec 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me. Trick is to find a happy medium depending on how much your willing to sacrifice for the amount of time you spend on the road. My car pisses me off sometimes with stuff like when the windcreen is frozen on the inside or the crap stereo and rattly speakers, but then I take the scenic route home and it just doesnt matter

[Edited on 02-12-2009 by Adam_B]
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Dec 09 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've took the stereo out, speakers will be out once the door cards are changed, manual mirrors and windows will be fitted over the next few weeks and carpet is coming up. I'm not bothered by the lack of a stereo at all, aslong as the heaters are there for these cold mornings
Ojc

2nd Dec 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both the Polo and the Astra.

But then in reality how many track days are you going to do a year? 3-5 a year for me so it's not really worth stripping things out and tearing cars to pieces just for that IMO.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only used the corsa on the road if i have to or when the beemer is being worked on

it can do journeys, not too comfortable but is useable just not everyday, and with no heater matrix to save weight can be fecking cold........and it is noisy in there(but engine noise is a good thing )

only kept it road legal to drive to and from race tracks
Pete_vxl

3rd Dec 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove Ecks old 106 xsi 16v which was stripped completely. Fun but the most noisy thing ive ever been in, you would have to be insane to drive one day in day out, like Eck did. On idle you can hear dirt/rust rattling in the back. Its freeeezing unless the suns out plus when you park at asda and people see you they will think your a knob.
Jenko_Sport

3rd Dec 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends on what your willing to put up with tbh.
Daimo B

3rd Dec 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard MX5, job done.
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gay beyond belief

slow...
Daimo B

3rd Dec 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed is not everything.

Drive an MX5 hard, see how rewarding it can be. Don't knock it till u've tried it. We're not all Clarksons, POWWWEEERRRRRRRRR

although they do look a little small an feminine, but they are growing on me.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by VXR]
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just wouldnt want to be the lame duck on every track day I ever go to!

I'd rather a 106 GTi
Ojc

3rd Dec 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had just as much fun in the Polo around the track than I do the Astra. But then that was more to do with the fact 3 of us were all equal around the Grand Prix Strecke.
Daimo B

3rd Dec 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honestly, try an MX5.

Far more fun than a 106. RWD, good weight distribution, epic handling.

Just "questionable" looks.

Sure they aint fast in a straight line, and god knows why Mazda uses such lame engines, but great cars. Earliest = best, few years old, lame and heavy, latest version, nearly back to its old best, nearly....
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats one thing I kinda miss with the 205 GTi.

The Skyline doesnt get much competition... and if it does things get fucking crazy

A 205 GTi you could be flat out round corners without a care in the world chasing the 106/corsa/civic in front.

MX5 - just no.

Maybe a lot more to do with where I live compared to you lot but I really dont think a RWD car would be much use for going quick round a track. Its always pissing it down.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by AK]
Daimo B

3rd Dec 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See down here in southern shandy drinking Kent, we generally have some of the best weather in the UK. We can actually have dry, clean circuits and make use of RWD

Poor Knockhill is nearly always wet, and you buff Scots would beat each other up for driving an MX5..

Down here we're full of rich poncy peopel so the MX5 fits right in (note rich ponceys doesn't apply to us council chavs )

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by VXR]
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rich and poncy - what the FUCK are you bufties doing with MX5's then

Daimo B

3rd Dec 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£19k arn't the new ones.

For a little 2.0 underpowered girls car, thats quite expensive (compare it to say a Tirgra, or Ka or some other small 2 seater girlmobile).

If I decide to sell one of my bikes and get a daily car, its at the top of the list so far

Right, wheres my babysham and light shandy gone.......
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no comment.

Elise should be top of anyone wanting a RWD open air car's list
Graham88

3rd Dec 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used mine on track a couple of times and still has all the creature comforts
sand-eel

3rd Dec 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 205 GTI is the BEST FWD car you will ever drive, the front grip is very good, just through it into a corner and you can rely on it making it to the other side.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track Day Car, Road Car? 22 database queries in 0.0125699 seconds