corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » An Idea

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author An Idea
mattk

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for our holidays next year me and a couple of mates were thinking of doing a top gear style road trip, get a £300 - £400 car each and drive them across europe stopping along the way, try and make a week or 2 of it

we would buy the cars with tax and MoT, Im thinking we could insure them on a pay monthly basis, pay the deposit and the first month and cancel when we get home disposing of the cars, all to it then is fuel beer food and hotel, seems like a very good idea which we havent really put much thought into yet, its a nice different Idea to the 18-30 holidays we are used too

insurance is going to be the main concern, what is the deal with insurance in europe?

Id just like a realistic veiw if this could work or not
Jake

3rd Dec 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could work although you'd need quite a few quid to make it a good trip.
redtom

3rd Dec 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going to do the exact same thing soon aswell.

we thought it seemed pretty good have not looked into the insurance side of things yet though.

oh and could end up costing major dollar if cars pack up, things go wrong etc. although for the sake of a couple of hundred quid if something goes bang you could just leave it and hop in the back of another car.
jibjob

3rd Dec 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should work fine mate i cant see why it wouldnt. Some blokes i work with sent a BMW 318 on the Crumball through Europe and its going again next time. The idea of it was to get a car for under £1000 and drive round Europe raising money for charity. So in theory you should be fine aslong as the car is solid. Most companies include Euro insurance free but im not sure about temporary cover you may have to pay extra.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by jibjob]
Kevxx

3rd Dec 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look up banger rallys
they do organised events, with another 50 cars, costs about £150 to enter, rules are like £500 per car, 3 people per car, but this way everyone makes it home, proper routes and stuff are sorted, i've seen ones london to barcelona etc.

mattk

3rd Dec 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha that sounds ace, I was thinking of using something solid like a BM seen a 525 TDS touring with 120k the other week for £400

regarding insurance, it wont be temp cover it will be a full policy that will just be cancelled after the first month, not the cheapest way but the least hassel I think
jibjob

3rd Dec 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would want something comfy for the long stints so a BM would be a good start. Not too sure about the TDS though, personally id stick to a smaller engined petrol for reliability but you comprimise (sp) on MPG. Would you be swapping cars or taking turns driving? It can get lonely being on your own all that way

Most insurance companies will insure you in Europe aslong as you let them know youre going. Some will ask you to take a green card i think it is to prove youre covered on the continent.

If youre going to road trip atleast do it properly and take a tent Saves money and you can just stop when you get bored, pitch up and have a beer and a bbq.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by jibjob]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » An Idea 22 database queries in 0.3394911 seconds