corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whos been traveling?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whos been traveling?
Warren G

User status: Offline
1st Jan 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going thailand for 17days

what the hell do i take??

can buy most things out there.....and its so cheap too

weather is very from 30-40degrees

all i can think of is shorts and t shirts
Graeme
Premium Member

1st Jan 10 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is all u will need but by insect repelant and sum cream with u, found it to be expensive when i was out there.

also a few jumpers, can get cod at night, but when i went it rained a few times and was still very warm, rain even felt hot.
liamC

1st Jan 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure on the weather around this time, but Thailand is very laid back from my own experiences and shorts, tshirts etc is only needed - no need for any jeans, shirts etc for clubbing etc. I was in Phuket.
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so take suncream, and after sun

and il take the mosquto bite cream, although i dont normaly get bitten

i thought, wear a jump and jeans to the airport, and wont need another 'warm' clothes?
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
Not sure on the weather around this time, but Thailand is very laid back from my own experiences and shorts, tshirts etc is only needed - no need for any jeans, shirts etc for clubbing etc. I was in Phuket.

is where we are going

anything to look out for?

anything to take ?

how much did you spend out there? got 12,500 in thai money! cash (£250) and £750 in travlers cheques

liamC

1st Jan 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
quote:
Originally posted by liamC

is where we are going

anything to look out for?

anything to take ?

how much did you spend out there? got 12,500 in thai money! cash (£250) and £750 in travlers cheques

I was only there for about 4/5 days with the lads, for a football tournament/pissup.

Tiger Beer was around 200baht in the bars IIRC. I'm not sure what that is in sterling as I use

The place is awesome mate, you'll have a cracking time. I loved every minute of it.

Bangla Road is where all the bars are. We stayed right on the beach front in a hotel called the Patong Inn, 2 mins from Bangla Road, which is right next to Banana Disco nightclub which I'm sure you'll frequent.

The only thing to watch out for is not taking a 100% lady back to your room, if you get me

Where are you staying?
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1= 50baht

you sure? thats £4..or am i wrong

staying in thoes bunglows, like £3 a night each!

traveling around the south, my other 2 mates are staying longer - 31days and going off to the full moon party thing
A1EX

1st Jan 10 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DO NOT GO BANANA disco lol, you dont really need much other than money, shorts, tshirts, flip flops etc, and sun screen if ure a bit white
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whys that alex?

do you live there?

i have gone abit white...so i will suncream up at first, as dont want to burn at the start!

A1EX

1st Jan 10 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i live in phuket, and banana disco is one of the crappiest ones here, seduction disco is the best place, depending what u want i suppose
liamC

1st Jan 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm... I think then, it was maybe 100baht for Tiger Beer and Coronas 200baht. I only ever drank Tiger or Corona so I think one of/both may be right!

You'll have a wicked time, mucka. Not remotely jealous at all(!).
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
£1= 50baht

traveling around the south, my other 2 mates are staying longer - 31days and going off to the full moon party thing

thing is, before I went there (pre credit crunch) it was up to like 100 baht per pound... so everyone always said 'Thailand is so cheap'... when I got out there it was 50 baht per pound, so everything is twice as expensive...

They also take advantage of the 'tourists' knowing that we're all mugs... They honestly don't deserve the trade.

So things are much more expensive than you'd expect and you to haggle them down all the time. So for instance, my mate went to buy some shorts... the bloke said 800 baht! (£8 previously, but at 50 baht a pound = £16!!)...

my mate was like 'fuck off'... the bloke instantly dropped his price to 400 baht... Then my mate still said no, the bloke went down to 280 baht... my mate said 'ok I just need to get some cash from the cash point' ... started walking off and the seller kept lowering his prices... going 250,220,180 baht!

So in the end it was like 180 baht... which in old exchange rate = £1.80 - but now was £3.60 - still not that bad though, but just shows you how high they'll start at and how low they'll go if you haggle.

But in my opinion, Vietnam beat the hell out of Thailand. Vietnam is cheaper, better atmosphere, less commercial, the people actually act pleased to see you etc etc.
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what should we see and do?

any picture? just what to expect?lol
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
£1= 50baht

thing is, before I went there (pre credit crunch) it was up to like 100 baht per pound... so everyone always said 'Thailand is so cheap'... when I got out there it was 50 baht per pound, so everything is twice as expensive...

They also take advantage of the 'tourists' knowing that we're all mugs... They honestly don't deserve the trade.

So things are much more expensive than you'd expect and you to haggle them down all the time. So for instance, my mate went to buy some shorts... the bloke said 800 baht! (£8 previously, but at 50 baht a pound = £16!!)...

my mate was like 'fuck off'... the bloke instantly dropped his price to 400 baht... Then my mate still said no, the bloke went down to 280 baht... my mate said 'ok I just need to get some cash from the cash point' ... started walking off and the seller kept lowering his prices... going 250,220,180 baht!

So in the end it was like 180 baht... which in old exchange rate = £1.80 - but now was £3.60 - still not that bad though, but just shows you how high they'll start at and how low they'll go if you haggle.

But in my opinion, Vietnam beat the hell out of Thailand. Vietnam is cheaper, better atmosphere, less commercial, the people actually act pleased to see you etc etc.

my mate, seem to think he is just gonna buy everything out there....

what should i take? as i know you've been traveling
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest... full moon party was great.

While in Thailand I did the following (For 6 weeks).

Went to Bangkok, did all the shit around there, a lot of Koh San Road, Ping Pong shows, drinking, shopping in big shopping centres like MBK etc... Tuk Tuk rides, eating loads of different foods etc. Watched some Muay Thai fights.

Then I caught the overnight train down south, caught a ferry across to Koh Saumi / Koh Phangan, did the full moon party, rented motorbikes, went to amsterdam bar etc...

Then went across to Krabi / Railey Beach etc... Beaches / Climbing rock faces / Snorkling etc. There was a bar on that beach which gets cut off when the water comes in...

Then went to Koh Phi Phi / Maya Beach, this is the beach from the movie 'the beach', did the usual stuff around there snorkelling etc... Koh Phi Phi had a bar which had a boxing ring where you could take part in muay thai fights and win drinks. Quite funny watching dumb tourists get beaten up. Also walked up to the highest point and observed the area of the tsunami etc.

Then we went to Phuket, Patong, went out for a few nights out, dodged lady boys left right and centre.

Then headed back up to Bangkok, caught a overnight train to the north, went explored forrests, road on elephants and a few other bits and pieces.

Finally went tubing and kyaking somewhere, can't really remember where...

Overall I was thoroughly bored of Thailand, Scamming, Lady Boys, Being offered suits / ping pong shoes / etc and the whole attitude that tourism is taken for granted by people.

Wish i'd only spent about 3 weeks in thailand and more time else where.
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't need much, I took 1 bag, which had pair of jeans (which i never wore till australia), couple of pairs of shorts, swimming shorts, underwear, 3 t shirts, money, insect repellant, 1 pair of shoes and sandals. I took a sleeping bag but never needed it.

Literally, don't take much, as you can buy stuff out there - pretty good fakes for like £2. Just don't take the first price offered.

If you're literally going to drink / party, then take a few things to wear out, so shorts, tshirts, sandals, smarter shirt if required... sun cream, insect repellant... thats it.
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im getting a plaine straight to phucket and we are staying south coast, im only gonna be there for 16 days

il just be happy in the sun! lol

il just see how it goes! hopefully come back with money too, but will see
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
You won't need much, I took 1 bag, which had pair of jeans (which i never wore till australia), couple of pairs of shorts, swimming shorts, underwear, 3 t shirts, money, insect repellant, 1 pair of shoes and sandals. I took a sleeping bag but never needed it.

Literally, don't take much, as you can buy stuff out there - pretty good fakes for like £2. Just don't take the first price offered.

If you're literally going to drink / party, then take a few things to wear out, so shorts, tshirts, sandals, smarter shirt if required... sun cream, insect repellant... thats it.

yeah, iv only got one bag,

so il take a say 3 t shirts, 1 spare of shoes (as il be wearing one pair) 3 pairs or shorts/ swiming shorts, il get some sandels there

sorted, cheers paul
Cosmo

1st Jan 10 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These threads recently are really making me want to go and spend a month or so down there, get out of this shit tip of a country and weather....
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
These threads recently are really making me want to go and spend a month or so down there, get out of this shit tip of a country and weather....

Mate, imo Thailand is over hyped...

Go do Vietnam -> Laos -> Thailand.

has to be done though mate... I'd love to go travelling again, the worst part I found was when I got back and realised the amount i had spent and the fact I won't be doing it again
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did you spend paul? take it you used a card?

how long did you go for and where did you go? did you work at all?
Cosmo

1st Jan 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Id rather do something to fit a few more countries in. Only thing that puts me off is going on my own, as I know I wouldnt be able to persuade anyone else as its not their sort of thing (and those that are are engaged so right under the thumb).
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
how did you spend paul? take it you used a card?

how long did you go for and where did you go? did you work at all?

In total I spent about £8500 - £9000 - including all flights and accomidation... that was over a period of about 6 months though.

Vietnam -> Cambodia -> Laos -> Thailand -> Malaysia -> Singapore -> Australia -> New Zealand -> Hong Kong.

I spent a lot more in Aus / NZ per month, than i did in asia.
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Yeah Id rather do something to fit a few more countries in. Only thing that puts me off is going on my own, as I know I wouldnt be able to persuade anyone else as its not their sort of thing (and those that are are engaged so right under the thumb).

You'll have a laugh on your own mate, it's so easy to meet people / stay in dorms / hostels and you'll meet loads of people through that, sometimes having my mate there with me felt like it was a ball and chain around my feet stopping me doing things i wanted to do.

Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well at the end of our summer i want to head over to oz, maybe a few other counteries for 3,6,9 months

hopefuly get a working visa, just to help out

was that purely hostels and food?

worth doing aroung the world ticket? or just much?

could have 5-10k to play with, dont realy want to spend more than that, as want to move out when i come back...

so id need the rest or my savings for that

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whos been traveling? 22 database queries in 0.0191970 seconds