corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » swirl tank question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author swirl tank question
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
9th Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

external like so

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Swirl-Pot-for-kit-performance-injection-project_W0QQitemZ160393082766QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item25582c378e

now i currently just run an intank fuel pump. although this cant supply enough fuel anymore and over next few months plan to change cams and stuff need more fuel. so ive got an aeromotive fuel pump on its way from RD european motorsport. question i have is, if i run them in sequence, it obviously increases the pressure and the flow. if i run the in tank to the siwrl tank, then the larger pump after will it decrease the flow and pressure compared to running it lift pump direct to main pump? i need 6 bar fuel pressure to run injectors at 1000cc. hence the need for another fuel pump.

many thanks.
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone has sorted a pump on the vx forum that does 255 litres per hour, dunno if it will be any good.
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i have now its maxed on pressure at 5 bar meaning injectors cant rull full cc and flows enough for about 500bhp but needing more pressure and more flow to add to increased boost.
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea this one they have said its rated to 500bhp.

x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not get one single pump that supplys enough fuel, heard a lot of tuners dont like a twin pump set up due to the poss damage to the engine if one fails
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not just the amount its also the pressure i need. they dont make an intank one that would be enough. ive no beef with running 2 pumps. loads of cars seem to manage it fine?
x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it just getting a pump that fits the corsa? my freind is running 1000cc injectors with a single pump in his evo and thats around 500bhp and he has no issues
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i want to know about the fuel pressure and flow if i run a swirl tank compared to not running one. if it alters or stays the same. i have no issue running 500bhp and 1000cc injectors now either. its about time it got more boost and i dont have enough fuel to go any higher. hence needing another fuel pump.
Doug

9th Jan 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried running 2 x GSi pumps? Must give enough pressure?
x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure then about the swirl tank heard varying stories as to wether they are needed, guess your best bet would be speaking to specky?
x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking at the ad and his descrition i would say just fit a single high pressure pump as all it claims to do is remove air bubbles that in a good fuelling system shouldnt really be present
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats these varying stories you have heard?
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x14xe sport
looking at the ad and his descrition i would say just fit a single high pressure pump as all it claims to do is remove air bubbles that in a good fuelling system shouldnt really be present

yeah, im more interested to know if it alters the flow or pressure though. i know what a swirl pot does already.
Doug

9th Jan 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
whats these varying stories you have heard?

He doesn't have a clue. He knows someone that has a moderately powerful evo so thinks he is a tuning god. Best off speaking to Specky, obviously.
x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct i dont, hence why i would ask someone who is running a big power let, i fail to see how it will increase pressure as the the 1st pump is there to keep the swirl pot full, the 2nd pump supplies the fuel rail, also the 1st pump needs to be a higher flow rate that the 2nd pump to avoid the swirl pot running dry. this is my understanding, it may not be correct or factual but is my opinion on the subject and may or may not be of any help. but doug i do hope that is you in your avatar.
wwwNOOBcom

9th Jan 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it wont because the pump itself isnt effected by the pressure behine it, Ie if you have a lift pump putting 2 bar behind the main pump, then the main pump will run 3 bar. It will only run 3 bar not 5, if i know what i mean

You would only need a swirl pot for going round a track, if your keeping it for 1/4mile then you wont really need one tbh

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by wwwNOOBcom]
Doug

9th Jan 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by x14xe sport
but doug i do hope that is you in your avatar.

It's quite fitting imo
x14xe sport

9th Jan 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well least you have the balls to admit it
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wwwNOOBcom
No it wont because the pump itself isnt effected by the pressure behine it, Ie if you have a lift pump putting 2 bar behind the main pump, then the main pump will run 3 bar. It will only run 3 bar not 5, if i know what i mean

You would only need a swirl pot for going round a track, if your keeping it for 1/4mile then you wont really need one tbh

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by wwwNOOBcom]

cheers, thought as much.
scottyp1989

9th Jan 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.injector.com/fuelpumps.php

will something like the bottom 2 on there do the job? or would you still need more
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got the second pump sorted and on its way. its an aeromotive thing apable of 1000bhp or something daft.
Wrighty

9th Jan 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your FPR should control the pressure, but isnt pressure regulated on the way BACK to the tank, therefor the lift pump will have 6 bar, to the swirl pot and your main pump will also have this? i think

also, 6 bar is quite a lot isnt it?
Nic Barnes

9th Jan 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but the pump i have now runs out at 5bar hence needind another pump. 6bar isnt that bad really. some modern cars run quite high fuel pressure.
steviet

9th Jan 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try thhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-345-LPH-CUSTOM-MADE-RACING-FUEL-PUMP-WALBRO-PROMO_W0QQitemZ160327894429QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item255449859dis its ebay so you should like it lol
ianofbhills

10th Jan 10 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

swirl pots have a return back to the tank on the top of the pot. The lift pump isnt going to run at 5 bar as the fuel is not restricted enough to build up that kind of pressure. When the swirl pot is full the excess fuel will just flow back to the main tank and there is no pressure regulator in that side of the system to bump up the pressure.

The swirl pot is essentially acting as your fuel tank, only its tiny and constantly getting filled hence no bubbles or surge. The main feed pump after the swirl pot will act independantly so you need to spec that pump solely to your requirements for pressure and flow as you have done.

you just need to make sure the lift pump has enough flow to keep the swirl pot full enough to cope with the demands from the main fuel pump. The one you have will be more then sufficient.

great figures on the dyno btw

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » swirl tank question 22 database queries in 0.0182290 seconds