corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » them chamois things

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author them chamois things
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
17th Jan 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some may no i dont exactly do washing and polishing and what have you of cars. well today i gave vecta its first wash in about 2 months seen as it wasnt -20 outside and no snow. i got one of them chamois for christmas which is a bit ironic as its someting id never use. well due to the aston villa west ham game being shite decided to wash vectra. so its all clean and washed. thought id have a go with this chamois. it now looks awful. is there any opperating instrucions for a chamois that i dont know about? i did wet it before i used it like my neighbour said. other than that i wiped the water off. ringed it out, carried on wiping. can see like marks all over bonnet where its been wiped, swirls marks etc. i dont want to have to polish it as i cant be bothered with that.

any help?
Rich H

17th Jan 10 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chamois aren't great unfortunately. They absorb a lot of water easily admittedly, but they also mar the paintwork - which is exactly what you have described that you can see.

The best things to use for drying a car are ultra soft microfibre drying towels - they're huge and plush so easily do a car without having to be wrung out and reduce the risk of marring the paint.
Nic Barnes

17th Jan 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh great. basically will have to go polish the car now. not what i had planned for my afternoon anyway.
alan-g-w

17th Jan 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meguiars microfibre drying towel's a great thing Nic. About a tenner in halfords (I couldn't find them that much cheaper anywhere else) and you can dry 2 cars without needing to wring it out, takes seconds as well since it's so big.
Nic Barnes

17th Jan 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long do they last?
Rich H

17th Jan 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Afraid so!

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/chemical-guys-miracle-dryer-ultra-absorbent-towel-25-x36-.php?cPath=64

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=553

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=520

^^ These are more the sort of things you want to use. I'm looking at sourcing my own version of the yellow one at the top, but that won't be for a while yet.
Rich H

17th Jan 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Meguiars microfibre drying towel's a great thing Nic. About a tenner in halfords (I couldn't find them that much cheaper anywhere else) and you can dry 2 cars without needing to wring it out, takes seconds as well since it's so big.

That the water magnet one? If you wash it after you've used it (like you're supposed to) they turn rock hard and are worse than a chamois for leaving marks!
Nic Barnes

17th Jan 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the marks look like is where it hasnt quite taken all the water up and just sorta see where ive sweeped the chamois around. ive been back over it and it cant seem to take it up although in the las 30 mins it seems to have dried a bit better so itsnt looking so bad. i had planned to give the corsa a wash but i think that time will be spent on vectra giving it a polish now.
Rich H

17th Jan 10 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its just water marks then a quick qipe down with some quick detailer and a microfibre will get rid of those and add a bit of gloss to the finish - far quicker than polishing.

Chamois are well known for marring the paint though which would need polishing then.
Ojc

17th Jan 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Megs water magnet is a load of shit, I used it once and wasn't impressed.

Chamois are awful as well.

I use the one the yellow one Rich has shown you, nothing has ever come close but I did get a new version in blue for xmas which is suppose to be even better but its too cold to be out cleaning white cars in these temps.
Nic Barnes

17th Jan 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have any microfibre or anything like that. just got some black t cut and a rag. will give it a quick once over with some polish see how it comes out.

all my problems begin when i try and wash cars. its not something i do well.
Marc

17th Jan 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chamois are a pain in the arse and can go crispy.

Best one I have used is the Auto Glym synthetic one. Wet and wring out before use and it is a lot better than a real leather one.
alan-g-w

17th Jan 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

That the water magnet one? If you wash it after you've used it (like you're supposed to) they turn rock hard and are worse than a chamois for leaving marks!

Aye, I just never washed it just rinsed it thoughroughly though. Obviously if you're using it every day it might not be the one to go for but for a wash every once in a while it served me brilliantly.

Nic, not sure how long it lasts but I had it 6 months before my mate stole it off me and it worked as good as the first time every time.
Nic Barnes

17th Jan 10 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gave it another quick wash will let it dry itself i think this time. looks loads better.

will leave car cleaning to the professionals
Ant B

17th Jan 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use one of these
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html
it works really well
Rich H

17th Jan 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
gave it another quick wash will let it dry itself i think this time. looks loads better.

will leave car cleaning to the professionals

I know a great guy who can come up from Exeter - he uses revolutionary bridal dress technology for the ultimate finish...

Want me to pass his details on?
cjohnson

17th Jan 10 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only use my chamois in warm weather, they work well in warm weather, IMO anyway. But when it's cold you got no chance of it working well mate.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » them chamois things 22 database queries in 0.1138358 seconds