corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Aprilia RS250 Track Bike. Update: 9/9/10

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Aprilia RS250 Track Bike. Update: 9/9/10
jimmy 2.1

User status: Offline
26th Jan 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a winter project. Thought i'd post it up for those that are interested in bikes.

Back in September i bought myself a cheap '97 Aprilia RS250. Its been a track/race bike all its life - ie, never road registered. But you can tell its had a hard life. Previous owners just used and abused it, although the engine is minty fresh having only 4 hours use since its last full re-build. Its got all the 'right' things done to it, such as removing the oil pump and having it run on pre-mix oil and Unleaded and Avgas 50/50. It also had a Quick Shifter, but i took that off as the wiring to it was badly done and its something else to go wrong without actually making me a quicker rider!

This is how i got it. Sorry its a phone pic and quality is terrible...

You might be able to tell from that pic just how tatty it was. I then set about partially stripping it so i could get to work cleaning it up.

This lot's going straight to the tip!! (apart from the rad)

That was back in late September. I haven't really done much since then, but i've got a trackday booked at Anglesey on 4t April, so i'd best get a move on.

Just purchased a new fairing and seat unit (the newer GP shape), a set of beautiful (imo) Tyga expansion chambers and Alu Stingers due to the Aroow's being battered to bits. And a set of rearsets which i could place on a mantel peice and polish

Tyga exhaust system. this is the side by side set up rather than the Arrow's i've got now.

I'll get pics of the other stuff when it arrives. I need to get a spare set of wheels for a set of wet tyres, which i'm in need of also. I also need a set of track tyres, so going to get a set of soft slicks. A chain is also needed but i'll be getting that this week hopefully.

Then its just a case of a theme to do the bike on. I'm not a fan of Max Biaggi but, he was simple supreme on a 250 GP bike and loved the Chesterfield bikes...

I'll update pretty often with this one.

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 31-01-2010 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 01-03-2010 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 04-03-2010 by jimmy 2.1]

[Edited on 07-09-2010 by jimmy 2.1]
jr

26th Jan 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how are you not doing a rossi rep bar the fact its a 97

why are you as a rossi fan replicating THAT mans bike

apart from that, cool
jimmy 2.1

26th Jan 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i know what you're saying, but there's no denying it, he was mega on a 250. Four world titles!

Its the one bike that got me interested in GP's as a youngster. I was more into Superbikes (as was the rest of the UK at the time). But having just found this, i might do a Rossi rep..

Its just easier having the kit sprayed all black rather than three different colours...
jr

26th Jan 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, but its biaggi

its like beeing a west ham fan, but buying a spurs shirt as its easier
corsadonk
Premium Member

26th Jan 10 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice Ducati

My mate had a Chesterfield 125, I didn't like how it handled. Because I had a Mito, and that was mega round the bends. But always wanted a 250.
Ojc

26th Jan 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DONT BIN THE ORIGINAL PLASTICS

They are gorgeous, can't you get them resprayed and get the sticker set from ebay to make it mint again.

It's mad to turn it into a Biaggi rep from a Rossi rep.

And its a 97 bike oh my days amazing.

Are they just Arrow end cans? If its a full Arrow exhaust I wouldn't bin it, it's the best one for the 250cc
Ojc

26th Jan 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This would cain you

We followed Rossi before he was BIG BIG, on the 125's watching on Eurosport.
jimmy 2.1

27th Jan 10 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't original plastics, just copies, but they're all badly damaged. As for the Arrow's, its a full system. I'm not binning them, but i don't expect much return. I'll get pics of how bad they are.
cjohnson

28th Jan 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will keep an eye on this. My first bike was an Aprilia RS50 lol. Me and my Dad stripped and rebuilt it ready for when I turned 16. Was mine when we finished!

Gareth T

29th Jan 10 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love these bikes , hope to grab a cheap one
Gazdaman

29th Jan 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RS250s are fantastic bikes. That thing if done well will only appreciate in value aswell.

Look forward to a detailed write up of what you do!
jimmy 2.1

29th Jan 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: 29/1/10

Nearly all my parts arrived today. The Tyga exhaust system arrived, then a bit later the bodywork turned up.

These exhausts are amazing! Quality all the way through!

Welding is immense...

Stingers are so neat and tidy...

The bodywork

I got on with fitting the exhaust system. It fits perfectly with no sloppy fittings and mis-aligned holes. Only took 20 mins to fit. Just need to make some new exhaust hanger brackets to secure them fully.

Had a quick go at trial fitting the seat unit. Its not sitting how i want it to at the moment. I'm also not so impressed with the way the sub frame is fit to the frame. At the moment the bolts that hold the seat unit to the sub frame, also support the sub frame to the frame.

Gareth T

30th Jan 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rears looking good
jimmy 2.1

30th Jan 10 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: 30/1/10

Did an hour or two's tinkering today. Just put a pair of new plugs in and some Renthal grips, and started fitting the fairing.

Renthal grips and fitted

Set about putting the nose cone on. Because its for the '98 onwards models the mounting frame is slightly different. So what i did was to tape it on, then drill the mounting holes.

With the nose properly fitted, i set about doing the right hand side panel. It isn't the best fitting kit really, and a bit of fannying about was done getting the mounting holes to line up, but got somewhere near in the end.

Still requires more fettling as the kick start fouls on it. Uts currently bolted together with plastic number plate nuts/bolts (came with the kit) but i've just bought some dzus fasteners which are much better.
jimmy 2.1

31st Jan 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: 31/1/10

Done another couple of hours in the garage with the RS. The trimming of the right hand side fairing panel was done, so now it doesn't get smashed off every time i try kick start it. Left hand side was simply a case of bolting it on.

Just need to buy a screen to complete it. Now i've got to start smoothing and filling out all the joints in the fibreglass so its ready to paint.

Here's a few pics of it built up.

Minty_Fresh

31st Jan 10 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice little project this
jimmy 2.1

1st Mar 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been quite busy at work recently, but in between i've been getting bits done and buying bits.

Had the orange wheels powder coated gloss black. they came out better than expected!

Bought a D.I.D racing chain as the one that was on was well past its best!

and fitted...

Also got my new rearsets. Had to make some spacers as the left hand side gear lever fouled on the exhaust.

Bought some new tyres too. Some Dunlop Alpha 10's. Haven't got pics, but they're nice and sticky! Bodywork is being painted then the decal's should be going on this week hopefully!
Gazdaman

1st Mar 10 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent work. Cadwell this summer?

I've just bought a minitwins spec SV650 ready for 2010 trackday season.

Gaz
jimmy 2.1

1st Mar 10 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm at Mallory on 18th March. Using it as a day to make sure everything's ok and blow the cobwebs out. Then its onto Angelesy on 4th April.

Cadwell will be done at some point. I'm sure we can organise a trackday there. Maybe get some other CS biker's to get out on track too.

You just going to be using the Minitwin for trackday's, or are you racing it too?

[Edited on 01-03-2010 by jimmy 2.1]
Graeme
Premium Member

1st Mar 10 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good jimmy, would love to have a go on a track day but never really been into superbike riding or even riding on the road tbh.

how much did it set you back at first?

if i was tgo get a track bike i think i would need a 600 as a 250 i would look huge on it.
jimmy 2.1

2nd Mar 10 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £1300 for it. I've ploughed a small fortune into it getting it ready for the track. I could probably have bought one with spares ready done, but i like building them and knowing what i've got's going to be right.

Its quite a tall bike really for its size really, so you'd be surprised.
Graeme
Premium Member

2nd Mar 10 at 01:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive ridden one before and my main problem is the width. I just dont feal stable on a narrow bike.

Plus every corner i go round i put my foot down
jimmy 2.1

4th Mar 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update 4/3/10

Pretty much finished. Just got a few small jobs to complete then its done!

Graeme
Premium Member

5th Mar 10 at 01:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow that looks amazing!

gona be such good handling round the track. Was actually working on my bike today, i cannot count on both hands teh amounth of times ive had the side casing off the bloody thing now!
Ojc

5th Mar 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gorgeous, perfect.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Aprilia RS250 Track Bike. Update: 9/9/10 23 database queries in 0.0206151 seconds