corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » just got my self a compressor yesterday...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author just got my self a compressor yesterday...
ash-ov-boro

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got my self an air compressor and dont have a clue where to start but really want to get into it before i go out and buy a bigger one so really need to come to terms with this small one for now..

the compressor is a.. airmaster tiger 8/45,25 litre,8 bar pressure 116 psi, 1.5 HP .. so anyways bought a cheapo gun kit from argos just for now as i said till i work out how it all works will be upgrading to a bigger compressor & better guns & stuff soon as i learn the baisics so anyways the compressor has 1/4 fitting got the hose & stuff for it too what come with it so anyways the gun kit i bought today doesnt seem to fit so i was wanting to know what i should buy to put on the gun to make it fit into the 1/4 coupling/adapter i dont even know what size coupler/adapter is on the gun how can i solve this..

can get pics but will warn you's now the cam is **** put some pics is surely better tan none at all can anyone or a few of you help me out

We all have to start somewhere dont we..

scottyp1989

3rd Feb 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all you need to get mate is the correct fitting for you hose

http://www.airlink-compressors.co.uk/Fittings/Couplers.htm

have a look on there, might be easier to get both parts new so they match
ash-ov-boro

3rd Feb 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there something i can get to fit over the thing onb the bottom of my spray gun to change it to a 1/4 fitting thats all i need really the gun kit i got come with differnt fitting to my compressor hose fitting thinking of selling up as its getting on my tits already only had it nearly 24 hours
scottyp1989

3rd Feb 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you either need to fitting that will fit your hose, you can get them all in 1/4" like i said might be easier getting new coupler + fitting then you will now they match. did you not get any fittings or anything with the compressor? if not take your hose to local pneumatics place or hardware place like screwfix/B&Q or something like that and try the different fittings
ash-ov-boro

3rd Feb 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okj scottyp will get my self down to b&q & screwfix there nextdoor to eachother down here failing tha will head down to machine mart
scottyp1989

4th Feb 10 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that would be the easiest mate, then just get the correct fitting when you find it in 1/4" thread
ash-ov-boro

4th Feb 10 at 02:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so anyways im going to be looking into spraying the top bumper line on my half colour coded bumpers front & backa pair of mirrors side skirts & my spoiler thats why i bought a small one for now as its only small bits im doing dont mind having to wait for the compressor to fill up it took no longer than 2-3 minutes for it to fill maybe less

i will be spraying the parts arden blue could anyone at all recomend anywhere that is the cheapest for the paint ..?

ive also been told the arden blue only comes in a polyester basecoat then it needs to be cleared over that and that i could use either 1k or 2k clear coat how hard is the polyester paint to use ?

what primer should i use that will not react badly with the polyester paint?

is there a certain psi for spraying the primer,polyester base coat,clear coat?

is there anything else i should know..?

sorry for the big list of questions but it would be muchly apreachiated if all you sprayers out there could answer theese questions for me maybe stick in a guide/ video tutorial.. ive been looking at the tutorials in the tutorial section but all the pictures ect dont seem to work on either my laptop or pc think the threads must be a little to old or something would be good if someone could make a new spraying tutorial/video for this site as theres a lot of us who want to learn

so please & thank you for taking your time to read this
ash-ov-boro

4th Feb 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
ash-ov-boro

7th Feb 10 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well got the spray gun & other bits connected to the compressor now after a stresful few days trying to work out what i needed.. just need some answers now to the above last asked questions come on people help us out We All Have To Start Somewhere ...Please!!
ash-ov-boro

8th Feb 10 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah well looks like this thread is going no where .. going to buy some dvd tutorials off ebay since know 1 wants to help

would of been nice to get some answers off the spray'ers on here but never mind i will learn how its done in the end ..hopefully

thanks scottyp1989 for your help you must be the only person who wanted to give me a few answers
Generation

8th Feb 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe ...just maybe not many people know on here
DaveyLC

8th Feb 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are going to paint the black bit on your bumpers you will need a decent 1k plastic primer (its clear stuff and will eat your lungs alive), some high build (upol high #5 is good) and a BIGGGG jar of elbow grease..

My advice is to rub down the black with 240 gritt until you are sick to death of rubbing, put on a fine layer of plastic primer, let it dry, then attack the bumper wwith some 400 gritt.. Put on a layer of high build, let it dry then work your way up from 400 gritt to about 800 using more high build each time..

It will take you AGES to get a smooth finish by hand.. Its a 10 minute job with a DA lol
DaveyLC

8th Feb 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Order this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lesonal-1K-Plastic-Primer-1-0Lt-SMART-Repair_W0QQitemZ320380038003QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item4a98236b73

It is THE BOLLOCKS for painting ABS plastics.
ash-ov-boro

8th Feb 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks davey lc anyone else got any answers to the above questions i asked previosly?
DaveyLC

8th Feb 10 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash-ov-boro
ive also been told the arden blue only comes in a polyester basecoat then it needs to be cleared over that and that i could use either 1k or 2k clear coat how hard is the polyester paint to use ?

Its a metalic, metalics are always base coats.. You basically apply the base coat 2:1 with no activator, you then use a clear coat 2:1 with activator and thinned out about 2:1 again..

quote:

what primer should i use that will not react badly with the polyester paint?

1K or 2K primer is fine.. 2K should really be used with an activator so 1K will make thing simpler. Personally I would use the Lesonal 1K plastic primer then use a aresol of UPOL High #5, its £10 a can and you don thave to fuck about.

quote:

is there a certain psi for spraying the primer,polyester base coat,clear coat?

You wont get away with using a gravity feed gun on your compressor it wont have the balls, use the pickup gun at about 8 bar.

quote:

is there anything else i should know..?

90% of the finish is in the preperation, make sure the surface is 100% free from dust and grease before you paint! always wipe it down with some panel wipes or cellulose thinners before painting.

ash-ov-boro

8th Feb 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok davey again mate thanks alot

so what did you mean by i wont getaway with using a gravity fed gun on my compressor it wont have the balls.. thought they use less psi than a pick up gun that is if you mean a suction fed gun..
DaveyLC

9th Feb 10 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less pressure but more air. i.e. the required CFM is a lot higher. Its like the difference between a small turbo running at 20psi and a bit one running at 10psi, the big one will still be moving a fuck sight more air.
ash-ov-boro

9th Feb 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

makes sense fella will invest in a couple of guns and see which i prefair

thanks again.. Top Fella :Thumbs:
DaveyLC

9th Feb 10 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really wouldnt waste money on a gravity mate, it will do your head in.. You'll get about 15-20 seconds of spray before it starts spattering because the reciever needs to recharge.
ash-ov-boro

9th Feb 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol only got it really coz it was £20 from argos & i got £100 worth of vouchers off a mate for £40 squid
ash-ov-boro

9th Feb 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well been searching google all day.. and im starting to come round to how things are done thanks to davey LC getting me off to a start been writing down usefull info & will keep on doing it .. soon as i start paintng and get t right i will make a tutorial on here for the people that want to learn soon as i get the tecnique right i will be getting a 50-100 litre compressor cant wait..
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 03:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone want to Add anything ..

& Thanks To The People Who Have Helped Me So Far muchly apreachiated guys
DaveyLC

10th Feb 10 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember its not just the reciever size that matters its the actual amount of air that the compressor can flow that is important.. A bigger receiver takes longer to fill and thus requires a more powerful compressor to speed up the process.

Look around for a second hand hydrovane compressor, they come up on ebay every now and then for a good price, they run almost silent and are perfect for spraying.

I've got a 500litre piston compressor at my workshop but this is what I use at home where space is a premium and noise levels must be kept down to prevent upseting the neighbours, wouldnt want the environment agency coming round while I'm painting 2K

502 Hydrovane on a 2.5KW motor slapped on a 25litre receiver:

Fills up in 10 seconds.

[Edited on 10-02-2010 by DaveyLC]
ash-ov-boro

10th Feb 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers davey will keep that in mind mate and will deffoe's be upgrading compressor once i get the hang of things ..
ash-ov-boro

12th Feb 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello Again..

Been getting a few quotes on paint,primer,lacquer,thinners this is all of the same guy off ebay..

cellulose paint >> 17.95 per litre
plastic primer >> 15.50 per litre
1k clearcoat >> 12.50 per litre
topgloss thinner for the paint >> 10.75

& they discount the postage down to 6.95 for anything under or 25 kilo's in weight

he said.. "you don`t need thinner for the lacquer or the plastic primer they are r.f.u." ..what does he mean r.f.u?

messaged him back as last time he said arden blue doesnt come in cellulose but it comes in a basecoat or something so waiting on the price of that now

what do use think any good? & has anyone got anymore tips for me going to order a few dvd tutorials off ebay as there only like £2.00 odd got to be worth a look at

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll