corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Becoming a "Morning Person"

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Becoming a "Morning Person"
James

User status: Offline
4th Feb 10 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm considering pursuing a career that involves starting at around 7:30am in London (I live about an hours commute away). I'm really not a morning person, I struggle to get into London for 9am at times.

I've tried going to bed earlier but it doesn't help. Waking up isn't the issue, the issue is that when I wake up I feel so unbelievably tired I struggle to get out of bed.

I'd love to be one of these people that can get up, make breakfast, read the paper etc before work.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the random post
p

4th Feb 10 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need it to become your routine. It is tough but neck a few red bulls down ya and then it will become normality, or it should in theory.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Feb 10 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Milkman shifts.
Ben G

5th Feb 10 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my missus commutes to london and her earliest start is 7:30 so she needs to be up by 5:20.

it's difficult at first but after a week you'll be fine.

when i'm on my early shift i have to get up at 5:30am and it is a killer for the first couple of days but after that i regularly find myself waking up before my alarm goes off.

and i usually go to bed about midnight so don't really get that much sleep.
Limecat
Banned

5th Feb 10 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is only about changing your pattern.

It depends on your pattern to an extent? I used to be useless without 8-12 hours of sleep but as I have got older I have managed my day, even stuff like moving when you eat helps. You eat and you will naturally tire.

I generally work on 4 hours sleep maximimum until weekend when I slam in a 10+ hour shift!

Do NOT use crap like Pro-Plus, it will not help in the long-term, I don't really rate it anyway but it just fucks your cycle up even more. Take the initial hit.

The best thing you can do is ready yourself for it, get up at the time you would do - go for a run, have a few wanks, whatever? It's about being awake and alert.
AlunJ

5th Feb 10 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's a struggle at first, but once you're in the swing of it it's easy, going to bed early is a bit strange, only problem for me is once I get into the swing of things my shift changes hate shift working
Nick-S

5th Feb 10 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

geting up at 3am and starting at 4am took it out of me for a few weeks but it soon became normal.

its split sleeps that i stlll find hard. Insted of 8 hours i have 2, 4 hour sleep. 1 before and 1 after work.

[Edited on 05-02-2010 by GSi_16v]
Paul_J

5th Feb 10 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James I was like this... couldn't wake up at all, had to have a redbull when i got out of bed to give me some energy and then a strong coffee in the office and i'd still feel tired...

it didn't matter if i went to bed early or late... was always the same.

One thing I've changed recently, is I have a multi vitamin - proper one. Centrum vital 22 or whatever it is. A week or so after taking one daily, I started noticing a difference.

Another thing I found (sounds weird) is that if I left my computer on playing music very quietly - I could get to sleep easier and end up having more 'good sleep' - than without (more restless sleep without). I just start it off playing a playlist and schedule my pc to shut itself down in an hour.

These two things have worked for me, been waking up at 7 no sweat recently.
James

5th Feb 10 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting - thanks guys. Paul - I'll try that, thanks.
davcohen

5th Feb 10 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to wake up for 5am and i hated waking up, although saying that its nice being awake at that time as commuting is much easier and pleasant. One way to screw yourself up is to forcibly wake up much earlier then you need to e.g. 3am and keep yourself moving by 6-7pm you will be KO'd
Matty L

5th Feb 10 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I'm considering pursuing a career that involves starting at around 7:30am in London (I live about an hours commute away). I'm really not a morning person, I struggle to get into London for 9am at times.

I've tried going to bed earlier but it doesn't help. Waking up isn't the issue, the issue is that when I wake up I feel so unbelievably tired I struggle to get out of bed.

I'd love to be one of these people that can get up, make breakfast, read the paper etc before work.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the random post

Read this :

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/
Colin

5th Feb 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get up at 6:15am for a 70am start & in time that will be moving to 5:15am for a 60am start. You just get into the way of it & it soon becomes the norm.
Marc

5th Feb 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to start work at 7:30am. IMO you never get used to the early starts
jay2907

5th Feb 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could goto bed at any time and still get at 5.30am like i do.. if we didnt have to sleep i dont think i would sometimes
Lawrah
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not a morning person.Im struggling now. Im used to late shift.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been doing shifts between 6.30 to 2.30 and 10am to 6pm for the last 6 years and its not easy at times.

I find that doing the early shifts i get up because i have to, on the late shifts i like to get up early (6.30ish) and go to the gym before work, for a good 3 months i've not been able to get up at 6.30 for the gym, instead i smash snooze and go to bed.

It waso nly until lately i was sorting through my junk and found my Lumie SAD clock/alarm, its basically an alarm clock that uses bright light to wake you, I decided to use it this week (I'm on the late shfit) and every day i've woken up without issues, drive to the gym and do an hours work out before going into London.

http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/bodyclock-sunray-100

I reccomended them 100%, fantastic little gadget.
Paul_J

5th Feb 10 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds interesting Will...

I do find the sudden loud noise of the alarm going off doesn't wake me too well... It's like a jolt and as such you get the jolt reaction of just hitting snooze / switching it off without waking up.
willay
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

before the light clock i used my phone and tv to wake me up in the mornings, but i cant even explain how different it is to be woken up by a nice light in the morning that gradually gets brighter. Its brilliant, I'm up before my tv/phone even go off now! I also believe I've been suffering from SAD

[Edited on 05-02-2010 by willay]
moka

5th Feb 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do one week earlys 8am start - wake at 6.30 and it takes me an hour to get there and one week lates start at 11.30 wake at 9. This fucks me over quite a bit!
Paul_J

5th Feb 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
before the light clock i used my phone and tv to wake me up in the mornings, but i cant even explain how different it is to be woken up by a nice light in the morning that gradually gets brighter. Its brilliant, I'm up before my tv/phone even go off now! I also believe I've been suffering from SAD

Thing is,

I can sleep with my light on I did it the other night randomly, jsut forgot to switch it off.

So I can't see how it'd wake me up?
Laney

5th Feb 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I used to sleep with my blinds open in summer to get me used to waking up early. You feel a million times better being graduallywaken up than by an alarm

[Edited on 05-02-2010 by Laney]
Colin

5th Feb 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do 14 12hr shifts in a row without a break 7am-7pm & tbh I dont struggle in the mornings at all, unless ive been up too late. So deffo getting an early night is the key. Im rarely up after 10 - 10:30 when im working. If I stay up an extra few hours then im struggling in the morning.
mwg

5th Feb 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been working for 7 years now starting at half 8 and I've still never got used to it and struggle getting out of bed every morning
willay
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

Thing is,

I can sleep with my light on I did it the other night randomly, jsut forgot to switch it off.

So I can't see how it'd wake me up?

fuck knows mate, its all to do with the light hitting the back of your eyes or some shit, I guess it will be different if you sleep in the dark and then suddenly there is light.

In my room I ahve no lights on while i sleep (obviously) and have blackout curtains to keep out any natural sun light so its quite different when the alarm goes off.
willay
Premium Member

5th Feb 10 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also it goes without saying, get a good night sleep, my top tips:

clean comfortable bed
a single pillow
sleep naked
water before bed, no caffeine obviously
try not to watch tv in bed, they say it stimulates the brain and doesnt let you rest properly

and if all else fails, wank off furiously.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Becoming a "Morning Person" 22 database queries in 0.0153830 seconds