corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » auxiliary belt squeaking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author auxiliary belt squeaking
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Feb 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i noticed this morning the auxiliary belt seems to be squeaking. firstly. anyone know why its doing it? its on a 1l corsa.

is it the waterpump? or maybe one of the bearings in the pullies? the belt seems fine, not loose etc.

any ideas?

is it safe to drive with it doing that, till i can get it fixed?
Root

11th Feb 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does it too, it's when I first start the engine and have for example, the cd player or heaters on as I turn the key, pressing the accelerator makes the squeel worst but eventually gets rid of the noise.

You may need to tighten your belt a little bit, not too tight, it'll snap.

It should be safe to drive, btw the waterpump is on the cambelt, not aux belt, actually...1litres are chain-driven aren't they? so your waterpump may be on aux...why they didn't put waterpumps on the aux instead of cam, I don't know...bloody vauxhall making my car poorly

[Edited on 11-02-2010 by Root]
Martin W
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah my water pump is on the Aux belt i think, yeah its chain driven, mine starts when i turn the key, then it would get worse, after about 5 mins it would more or less stop. if it snaps it wouldn't ruin the engine would it, it would just stop it charging?
Root

11th Feb 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does it in first gear, at junctions or low speeds and when I first start the car, it usually only happens in winter when the air is moist.

Basically, your car will be fine to run as it is, all it is, is the belt is slipping, if it did fail or snap though...let me think, your waterpump could fail for starters, but your engine should be fine as it's all done by chain...timing and pulleys etc are on the chain. But, either way, best to tighten it up or replace, if necessary
Root

11th Feb 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as quoted from a related thread:

quote:
Undo the Bolt holding the Alternator in place.
Get a large strong metal bar or piece of wood.
Lever the Alternator upwards getting as much tension onto the belt.
Then whilst holding the bar at that pressure attempt to do the bolt back up.
An extra hand is always useful at this point.
I think the belt is supposed to flex about half an inch but I maybe wrong.

Martin W
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, so its defo the belt and not one of the pullies that the belt goes around?
Generation

11th Feb 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put some talcon powder on the belt, this creates more grip, if noise stops you need to toghten belt
AlexW

11th Feb 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignore what root quoted, yours is on a auto-tensioner. No need for your input.

You could change the belt, if it hasnt been changed for a while then its worth doing it for the £5 it will cost for the belt.

New Poll