corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Advice.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice.....
AndyKent

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a right situation at home at the moment.

Just me and mum living at home - I'm 22 in a few weeks and decided to buy an Astra VXR as a sort of birthday present to myself. I've seen the car I want and would have already bought it.

Shes a boring old cunt and said if I buy it she'll kick me out as apparently I'm sponging off her. I pay £175 a month rent (she buys all the food) at the moment - I bring home about £1100ish.

I've tried talking it through but she's made up her mind and nothing will change it. Other than living here I'm pretty stuck for options - Grandma has offered to put me up but not really a long term option.

I can't get a big enough mortgage to actually buy anywhere, and if I rent somewhere I can't have the car plus I don't want to be renting.

So, do I get the car but might struggle to house myself, or get a home I don't want and no car.

What do I do?
adiohead

22nd Feb 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheap runaround and a flat/house
Marc

22nd Feb 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you afford to help you mum out more and still get the car?
ssj_kakarot

22nd Feb 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well looks like ur stuck either buy it and take your chances or give in to her.

your not paying much rent so regardless of what you do if you move out your disposable income will drop a lot tbh.
scoob
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

22 live your life get the car
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 10 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She's right - unless you're paying 500pm then it's a good deal.
Jake

22nd Feb 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy the vxr and see what happens
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the car, get another set of keys cut for the house, live in the car and go and nick food out of her fridge when she's in bed
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've said I'll pay more a month, £250, but she laughs it off as basically I'm just throwing money at the problem to get what I want

Buying a place is completely out at the moment. I've got a decent deposit saved by won't get a large enough offer to buy anywhere even half decent. I could buy a shit-hole but its not worth it.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was paying more than that when i was working 16 hours a week
Ryan

22nd Feb 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offer to pay more?
LukeS

22nd Feb 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easy solution to this, dont buy the car. Solved
MarkSport

22nd Feb 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell your mum to get fucked I pay £100 pm and get my food for that and a bed.If my rents told me they would kick me out for buying a car that i ahve worked for i'd go crazy
KingDoug

22nd Feb 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a caravan. 2 Birds 1 Stone.
Nath

22nd Feb 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does you Mum want from this? More money or for you to move out asap?
deano87

22nd Feb 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
She's right - unless you're paying 500pm then it's a good deal.

I agree. Unless you're actually paying 50% of what it costs to run the house, then I wouldn't even think about getting the VXR.

How are you going to be able to save for the mortgage etc on £1100, whilst running the car etc - you'll never do it.

Just think (and I imagine your mum isn't retired) that she has to go to work to help you live, put food in your mouth, when you're an adult yourself.

Think yourself lucky she will allow you to live there for £175. You'd be paying out far far more if living on your own or even shared.

Get a half decent car if you can afford it without loan etc, but make sure you pay your way. You go to work to live, not to live for free and then spend on luxuries.
AlunJ

22nd Feb 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be better to invest in property surely, yes it'll cost alot, but it'd be a better investment surely, I wanted to buy a flash car but bought a house in the end - and it's not particularly a shit hole.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 10 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent more on cars than rent when I lived at home, it's always a good deal and they never objected. But it wasn't right.

Having said that, I'll happily roof my kids and let them have good cars even if I'm down in percentage terms. Just so long as they don't take the mick too much. Depends where your line is.

If you want to do her head in, tell her you've set up the direct debit to her for 500pm and ordered the car. She'll tell you to move out, you'll argue over it then tomorrow you'll tell her you've cancelled both. Then she'll regret not taking the 500pm.
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeS
Easy solution to this, dont buy the car. Solved

But thats just giving up like I've always done

Funny thing is I don't know what she wants exactly. If I move out she looses my money and then lives on her own (younger sister already moved out), don't imagine she actually wants that.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 10 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
be better to invest in property surel
Investing in property isn't the done deal that it used to be.
Pete_vxl

22nd Feb 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you buy a VXR over your mum you really do need chucked out. Shes only saying it because you know you will regret buying a 11k car. The car will take the majority of your wages and im guessing you will pay it over 3/5 years by which time you could have moved out and got a flush house to get your mates round and you could play forza and drive a vxr lol
Budgie

22nd Feb 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

house/flat
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've justified the car to myself because I've already got a house deposit in the bank.

My Golf is worth about £8.5k and the Astra I've seen is £10k. Basically I'd spend more in fuel and insurance for a couple of years. It won't dent my future house plans, maybe a couple of grand down on where I might have been.

By then my salary will be enough to actually allow me to borrow a worthwhile amount. As it is, even with a good deposit (20k ish) I just couldn't get anything worthwhile because the bank won't lend it.
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I won't be borrowing anything to buy the car. Just take a very small chip out my savings.
deano87

22nd Feb 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, you've clearly got a nice car. I wouldn't want to move out/mortgage on £1100 take home, but I'd certainly be saving harder for the house so when the time was right you could move out.

tbh, you have really cheap digs at home with your mum.

£175 probably doesn't even cover half the mortgage/rent payments.

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by deano87]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Advice..... 22 database queries in 0.0175989 seconds