corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » SeaWorld Orlando... Today a performing Killer Whale killed a trainer

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SeaWorld Orlando... Today a performing Killer Whale killed a trainer
SteveW

User status: Offline
24th Feb 10 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Full story on here
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-seaworld-orlando-shamu-injury-20100224,0,942688.story

quite shocking cos i have been to see the "Shamu" show a few times (3times in the past 2 years and again ages ago)
it happened in the Whale holding pen behind the main stage
SVM 286

24th Feb 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not read the link yet but i'm assuming the keeper was in the H2O, with the, KILLER, whale.

They never learn do they.

The clue's in the name.
SteveW

24th Feb 10 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trainer slipped into the pool and killer whale bit her and dragged her under... she drowned

was one of SeaWorlds top animal trainers too so it wasnt like a noob mistake
Simon

24th Feb 10 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder how long it will be before tourist vids start appearing, sad though
sand-eel

25th Feb 10 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate it when people say "we will make an investigation" there is never anything to investigate, it was an accident.
_Allan_

25th Feb 10 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
wonder how long it will be before tourist vids start appearing, sad though

I had a shit holiday in Wales once too
Kevxx

25th Feb 10 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveW
trainer slipped into the pool and killer whale bit her and dragged her under... she drowned

was one of SeaWorlds top animal trainers too so it wasnt like a noob mistake

thats the story SeaWorld are giving out, people who saw said the whale grabbed her...wonder how true! pretty mental story
C2RL R

25th Feb 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's shocking that these theme parks are allowed to keep killer whales in captivity. i'm no animal rights activist but i've seen how small the enclosures are for the whales and it just isn't right. then there's the fact that they are "killer" whales so why the fuck would they think it's safe to get in the water with them? you wouldn't get into a tank with a killer shark so what's the difference? this particular whale has been involved in the deaths of 2 other people. they should just release the fucker back into the ocean and stick to dolphins in their shows. i know it's fun to sit in the splash zone as a kid but it's not worth risking peoples lives over.
gazza808

25th Feb 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
it's shocking that these theme parks are allowed to keep killer whales in captivity. i'm no animal rights activist but i've seen how small the enclosures are for the whales and it just isn't right. then there's the fact that they are "killer" whales so why the fuck would they think it's safe to get in the water with them? you wouldn't get into a tank with a killer shark so what's the difference? this particular whale has been involved in the deaths of 2 other people. they should just release the fucker back into the ocean and stick to dolphins in their shows. i know it's fun to sit in the splash zone as a kid but it's not worth risking peoples lives over.

agree'd apart from i think it's also cruel the size of the tanks they keep the dolphins in, should all be in the sea
C2RL R

25th Feb 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah totally agree mate is was trying to say if they insist on using sea life in their shows then dolphins are the safer option.
alan-g-w

25th Feb 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'm glad they're not in the sea because they put on one hell of a show. Worth a couple of lives it's that good tbh.
drunkenfool

25th Feb 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's very sad what happeend but like it says in the article, the whale enclosures are the equivalent size to them as a bathtub to us; it's just not fair to keep an animal that size in captivity!
noshua

25th Feb 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Well I'm glad they're not in the sea because they put on one hell of a show. Worth a couple of lives it's that good tbh.

Have you seen the "Believe" show? It's terrible.

"Several spectators said the animals had been agitated during a 12:30p.m. show, playing or fighting with one another and refusing to obey commands to splash the crowd, a staple of the program."

Strange that, we've been to SeaWorld 3 or 4 times over the past 5 years and not once has this happened, until the last time we went (November). Must be the shit Believe show making them go crazy.
GF-91
Banned

25th Feb 10 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BRB going swimming.
Cosmo

25th Feb 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Witnesses who watched the attack while eating at the "Dine with Shamu" show'

Yeah....Im not going to that show tbh.
MatthewR

25th Feb 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GaryF
BRB going swimming.

lol but u cunt! lol
DC90

25th Feb 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last time I was in the states and saw this show they had to delay the Dolphin show because they weren't listening to the trainers and didn't want to do anything.
andy1868

25th Feb 10 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been afew times. one day the whales were having none of it either so they called the show off. i found most of the park depressing as fuck, the polar bear was the worst though it looked like it wanted to kill itself

[Edited on 25-02-2010 by andy1868]
DC90

25th Feb 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
i've been afew times. one day the whales were having none of it either so they called the show off. i found most of the park depressing as fuck, the polar bear was the worst though it looked like it wanted to kill itself

When I saw him he was constantly doing the same thing over and over. Was actually really sad to see!
andy1868

25th Feb 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what he was doing when i saw him. i read later somewhere that bears go insane in captivity as naturally they would roam over land hundreds of miles across and without that they go insane
noshua

25th Feb 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DC90
quote:
Originally posted by andy1868

When I saw him he was constantly doing the same thing over and over. Was actually really sad to see!

That's so true! Last time we went it was still doing the same thing as it was 14 months earlier! There was a "baby" polar bear with him as well, wasn't there this time though.

Clyde and Seamore is the best thing in the park imo!
p

25th Feb 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very sad. What happens though do they keep the whales and keep them as normal and carry on a few weeks later ?

I think its so harsh to keep those animals in that environment, and as the article says it's clear that at any random moment it might flip and get totally pissed off and just go mad. Obviously they could have 300 shows a year and its fine but you always have that chance that something might happen.
Ben G

25th Feb 10 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they know the risks, it's their own fault.

i do like going to zoo's and seeing all these amazing animals that you'd never see otherwise, but it's a shame they can't be in their natural environment with their family/friends.
Cosmo

25th Feb 10 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh half of these were young orphins when they ended up there (for various reasons) and if they had released them back to the wild then they'd of died - so being in there is the next best alternative.

And the keepers know the risks, not the killer whales fault for doing what is natural to them.
Nath

25th Feb 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nature vs nurture. Nature always wins. They can try and tame the Killer Whale all they like. But it's still a Killer Whale.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » SeaWorld Orlando... Today a performing Killer Whale killed a trainer 22 database queries in 0.0165331 seconds