corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » A few questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A few questions
Butler

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a few questions id appreciate answers for in the lead up to my uni final major project...

1. What internet forums do you mainly use? (5 max)

2. For what reason do you use these forums?

3. In your opinion, what makes good forums stick out amongst rival forums?

4. Visually, what do you think makes different forums popular?

5. What attributes on specific forums have ever stood out for you? (Features, visual content etc)

Thank you
Marc

2nd Mar 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 - Corsasport
2 - Banter, flange threads, banter
3 - Banter, flange threads, banter
4 - Clean layout
5 - Garage, Sub forums, flange threads, banter
Jambo

2nd Mar 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
1 - Corsasport
4 - Clean layout

Butler

2nd Mar 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone wants to expand on 'clean layout' id appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Marc

2nd Mar 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything laid out neatly. No clutter and you can find what you need easily. Some forums have too many sections, in some case you need to click about 3 sections to get to the one you want. Least with this forum the few sub forums we have are easy to find. Post layout is minimal but at the same time neat and doesn't look basic. Some forums have too many colours and borders going on.
Ste L

2nd Mar 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
If anyone wants to expand on 'clean layout' id appreciate it. Thanks guys.

the main page doesn't have 20+ seperate forums...

eg http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/

J da Silva

2nd Mar 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. CorsaSport, TimaoWeb, RotherhamSundayFootballers

2. CorsaSport - because when I was a teenager I built a c20let corsa and registered on here, years later I've grown up, but can't let go. TimaoWeb - because I am a Corinthians fan, RotherhamSundayFootballers - because I live in Rotherham, England and this is my local Sunday league website forum thingy.

3. In CorsaSport's case it's things like events, premium membership positives, the advice you get on it when you want help, and for me personally it's all about the banter.

4. Obviously the homepage, as that's what you see first when you visit a new site.

5. The layout, finding different sections and sub-forums easily with very few clicks.
Butler

2nd Mar 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys. Please keep your opinions coming...
Matt L

2nd Mar 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Corsasport, Talkphotography and very very very rarely seatcupranet.

2. corsasport - Banter, morning thread.
talkphotography - advice, inspiration, just to see what other peoples work is like.

3. the people on it and how clicky they are imo.

4. clean layout - imo not too much on it and nicely spread out but not to spread out, like cs is great imo everything is laid out and there isnt too many subforums and not all bunched up like on scn they have a million and on subforums and its all bunched up with stupid banners.

5. garage, i do like on some boards when you hover over the titles its shows the first sentence of the thread but at the same time its equally annoying at times.
Cosmo

2nd Mar 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Just a few questions id appreciate answers for in the lead up to my uni final major project...

5. What attributes on specific forums have ever stood out for you? (Features, visual content etc)

Thank you

1. CS, two Liverpool forums.

2. CS purely due to the banter, I have never owned a Corsa )originally came on as was intending to buy one) but the banter made me stick about. The other two forums as they were in one case the first I came across on google and liked the threads I saw. The other as it was one of the biggest and seemed to have a lot of informative members.

3. Good layout, NOT TOO MANY SUB FORUMS (I hate it when I go on a forum, and it has 100's of sub forums), quick to load, not full of adverts, not full of big shitty pic sigs.

4. Clean layout, as above really with not too much on the page. I dont want to have to read fuck loads to get where I want, and dont want to look past 1000s of ads and images to see what I want.

5. Corsasport is easily the best forum Ive been on for the look, ease of use, layout and speed. A forum is made by its content, not by looking all fancy. If you can get the good content/banter on there then all you need is a forum that is easy to use and fast to use. The garage on here is also great. And so is that Cosmo member.
Cosmo

2nd Mar 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
i do like on some boards when you hover over the titles its shows the first sentence of the thread but at the same time its equally annoying at times.

I hate that with a passion, if Im using the scroll wheel to go down the forum page and my mouse pointer happens to be in line with the thread titles, it ends up showing up constantly. Hate it.
Matt L

2nd Mar 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
i do like on some boards when you hover over the titles its shows the first sentence of the thread but at the same time its equally annoying at times.

I hate that with a passion, if Im using the scroll wheel to go down the forum page and my mouse pointer happens to be in line with the thread titles, it ends up showing up constantly. Hate it.

Yeah thats why i hate it but at 75% of thetime but sometimes its usful when the title is a little ambiguous just lets you see what its actually about,
Cosmo

2nd Mar 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Yeah thats why i hate it but at 75% of thetime but sometimes its usful when the title is a little ambiguous just lets you see what its actually about,

Id just ban the cock who made the ambiguous thread title (which would probably be me).
Paul_J

2nd Mar 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsasport, S2ki, TechCrunch Discussions? Facebook and Twitter?

Good Content, speak to friends and for reading amusing things.

The userbase (plenty of good posts, the forum feels alive), easy to post (e.g. remembers my login and to sign up doesn't take much effort), not too many stale sub forums, place where people can post shit (offday).

In a forum, people expect simplicity, fast loading pages, clean, easy to navigate and use.

When I post discussion on modern sites like tech crunch, I can post without having to sign up at all! Same with 4Chan, this means that more hilarious content gets posted as it's anonymous.

Generally with a forum... new user's get attracted by a busy userbase... Nothing worse than going on forums that rarely get any new posts or replies...
C2RL R

2nd Mar 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Corsasport, AOC, talkphotography, breakingsurface, carp.com

2. Mainly to help others and get help myself. also the social side of things is a big part in why i use some of them.

3. Good moderation is the main thing. some forums are over moderated which can make it a little tedious. Number of members and speed of the forum also play a big part in why i choose to use the ones above.

4. The less adverts and clutter the better for me. Forums that allow photo's in sigs are a problem for me. also gif's in avatars annoy me. a forum should be tidy and in a colour scheme that make it pleasant to view. other things that make forums popular are the banter between members and again, good moderation.

5. Good search funtions, easy to use private messaging, classifieds sections

some of my answers there actually could be used for more than one of your questions so you might want to edit that a bit.
lostboy
Banned

3rd Mar 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Corsasport, BTTOS, PNG, mig, vauxsport

2. Mainly to help others and get help myself

3. Good moderation

4. The less adverts and clutter the better.

5. Good search functions, easy to use private messaging, classifieds sections

some of my answers there actually could have been written by some one else and edited by me.
Fonz
Premium Member

3rd Mar 10 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
1 - Corsasport
4 - Clean layout

very well put

as for clean layout, looking at other boards, not thread the eye is bombarded with symbols, colours and information, rather than simple thread title, author last post

then you look at the thread, each responce is the words of the author with a sig 1-3 lines long. NOT like others, a 8 word reply to a thread is lost in large signatures, signatures with large images/adverts which distract and give the reader difficulty in working out what the reply is, an spam advert or a genuine reply.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » A few questions 22 database queries in 0.0185032 seconds