corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shin Splints

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shin Splints
Tom G

User status: Offline
15th Mar 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started going running for the last couple of weeks and went for one last saturday and woke up sunday with a really bad pain in the front of my shins.

It feels like it's over stretched..I've had a little read up and think it might be this after a mate suggesting it.

Think it might be because am flat footed.

Anyone hae any advice on how to get rid of it and not get it again?
jaffa

15th Mar 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get pains in my shins. Bought some gels pads for your heels and touch wood no problems since
Tom G

15th Mar 10 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jaffa
I used to get pains in my shins. Bought some gels pads for your heels and touch wood no problems since

Just use them when out running etc? Where did you get them from?
jaffa

15th Mar 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JJB sports. I went in looking for some better trainers, the guy who served me was supposed to be their trainer expert. Told him which trainers I had and he told me save my cash and try these.

There are few different ones flat ones or ones that curve up the heel. Took the later. Around a fiver. Well worth trying. Used to manage one run a week now go for two or three (thats all the time I have)
Tom G

15th Mar 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little disclaimer at the end there

I might have a look as i don't want it to get worse.

I normally got for around 3-4 runs around 5k but as i said i've just started and not fit at all!
jaffa

15th Mar 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now I have limited liabilty

Don't do massive amounts just couple of runs at the gym on my dinner and one night run. Hit the weights at night more than running.

For a fiver its worth trying IMO certainly helped me
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Mar 10 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll know if you have shin splints!

i had them when i was 17 they were well sore!
Reecemac

15th Mar 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suffer pretty bad with them like jaffa said pads for your shoes or maybe a new pair (could be the problem if they are old). After running/football I always hot/cold them (hot waterbottle then ice pack) reduces swelling then keep your feet/legs raised whilst sleeping. Right pain in the arse to have, seems to get better with time though.
John

15th Mar 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've recently had problems with my shins since I started walking to work, I've been doing it for about 2 months now, a mile there and a mile back, only hurts on the way back

Pain is unbelievable, I have to slow right down and if it wasn't for the fact I was going home I'd really need to stop.

Isn't getting any better, happens with trainers and boots.

Need to ask at the doctors next time I go.
Reecemac

15th Mar 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John try putting some ice on your shins then sleep with your legs slightly raised that night and see if it feels better in the morning, mine used to be painful for about a week after but after doing the above it really helps.
Tom G

16th Mar 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

It's still hurting today if i try and raise the front of my foot if my heel is still on the floor and when i walk...
Tom G

16th Mar 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

It's still hurting today if i try and raise the front of my foot if my heel is still on the floor and when i walk...

Jaffa/Reece - With the gel pads who am i best off speaking to them about as i presume you have different ones for different conditions? I dont think my JJB/DW have anyone to ask like that.
jaffa

16th Mar 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom - Not too sure mate, when I was looking the guy showed me two sorts - flat ones that go straight under your heel and ones that curve up slightly round your heel.
Think the curved ones offer bit more protection and don't slip from under your heel.

Apart from that not too sure sorry. Must of dropped lucky with the store I went to or the sales guy wasn't an expert and just lied for a sale. If he did he got it spot on
Reecemac

16th Mar 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think both would help as its just to absorb the impact but I think the difference is down to which you find more comfortable. I used to have some rubber ones years ago for my footy boots which worked a treat, no doubt the gel ones will be better tough, will have to get some for myself.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shin Splints 23 database queries in 0.0100760 seconds