corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Important

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Important
Callum

User status: Offline
16th Mar 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is quite important to me and should be in the help zone, but I need to know this, the fuse for my water pump/windscreen pump blew, i put a new fuse in last night and it blew again, and then another one which blew, these were 15 fuse, so I then put a random fuse in and its working now, I told my dad today and he said this couldlead to a fire as it is a bigger fuse, any help is appreciated,thanks
daymoon
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he is right... as in all elctrical systems fuse is designed to blow first as its cheap and easy to replace...

by putting bigger fuse, its not weakest point in circuit anymore....

so if current is bigger than it should be ( thats why your fuses blow) wiring can overheat, melting inulation and shorting on something.....
Callum

16th Mar 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The correct fuse was in and it blew twice, any reason why that would happen?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a fault which is causing the fuse to blow, this is what a fuse is for, to stop other parts being damaged. you will have to work out why its blowing, wire shorting out somewhere, loose connection, motor blown

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
ShEp

16th Mar 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a fault like this with a stereo in a mk3 astra.

Kept blowing fuses, even larger ones would blow.

I replaced the fuse with a length of wire and waited for the smoke,

Smoke came piling out from behind the dash board, seems the sereo had been wired in wrong.
Callum

16th Mar 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Cd player in my car seems a bit dodgy, The mirrors might have been wired differently too, but im not sure, will a fire occur even though the fuse isn't blowing?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the fuse isnt blowing then maybe yes, the fuse is suppose to blow to stop it happening

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Eddx14xe

16th Mar 10 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way a fuse works is the metal/wire inside it melts, when too much current passes through it.

So if you put a higher amp fuse in there, the fuse wont blow, it will be the cable that melts first, causing fire/short circuits etc etc
Callum

16th Mar 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could anyone reccomend how to find out why the fuse is blowing? Thanks
Root

16th Mar 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a bigger fuse will mean it's letting more electricity pass through it (without destroying the wire...cus that's all a fuse is essentially).

so if you overload your system by accident, have a short-circuit, owt like that, you risk damaging equipment by not having the proper fuse.

the fuse is popping because you were using the wrong fuse in the first place OR to do with dodgy wires/connections, earth's where there shouldn't be etc. Check your wires

[Edited on 16-03-2010 by Root]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Important 23 database queries in 0.3491611 seconds