corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sparkies - In here.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sparkies - In here.....
Tiger

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has everyone done their 17th Edition update yet? I just passed mine last night, was a pice of piss, can tell its all about the money and nothing more.....

I was going to go and do my 2391-20 Design course next, its just persuading work to get me on it when money's tight.

Did my 2391-10 Test/Inspection back in 2003 now so that's out the way now...
oceansoul

23rd Mar 10 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did my 17th september 08. But that was my first time, not an update. The bloke taking the course kept saying that not much had changed, except everything MUST be in the new colours, and domestic stuff on RCD's.
Tiger

23rd Mar 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since the 17th Edition of the Regs has been introduced there has never been more changes from one to the other....mainly Special Locations, but Zs ratings and Basic and Fault Protections have changed...

The new BS7671 is restructered a lot too.
baza31

24th Mar 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to do mine badly, i hate reading regs, 16th edition at college used to drive me bonkers
C2RL R

24th Mar 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did the full course roughly a year ago. i already had my 16th edition but that was 10 years ago so i did the full thing rather than the update. it was a good course actually. better than doing my 16th but thats probably because i was 17 and in college so i didnt really take it seriously.
Tiger

25th Mar 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carl - I did the full course too, what I meant to say was it was an update to the 17th edition. I'm the same as you, did my 2360 back in 2000.

I've pushed the Chief Exec to let me do the design course now which he has agreed to, i've just got to get prices and dates now...
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though i'm going into my last year at college soon i STILL have to do the 17th seperate to it how's that for a piss take!

How did you find the 2391 mate?? Also how's the beemer coming along? lol
drunkenfool

26th Mar 10 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick thread Hijack but I coudlnt resist after seeing the thread title!! (Sorry!)
I wired up 4 Philips 'Master' 7w dimmable LED's to the lighting circuit in the dining room tonight on a 250w dimmer, they worked fine for a few seconds then rapidly turned on and off before turning off and not coming back on. I wired two bulbs up to a standard plug and they still work fine, so I'm guessing that teh dimmer is to blame, but any idea why? (and yes, I triple checked the connections on all the bulb holders etc!) Please reply via U2U if you have any idea, cos i dont want to take over this thread tooooo much!

EDIT - I also swapped the LEDs back to two GU10 halogens to test the lighint circuit, and no joy

[Edited on 26-03-2010 by drunkenfool]
baza31

26th Mar 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please tell me you went from the switch to a transformer then to the l.e.d's if not youve just blown all your lights

[Edited on 26-03-2010 by baza31]
drunkenfool

26th Mar 10 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are the bulbs, they are direct replacements for GU10 halogens and they dont need a driver or any transformers etc
http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/product/22616/philips-philips-master-led-gu10-7w-dimmable-cool-white-4200k-40d-50-watt-halogen-replacement--philips-master-led-gu10-7w-dimmable-.aspx
baza31

26th Mar 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strange is that, so if you took out the led lamp and put normal gu10 in and that didnt work yet you had power? id check for a loose connection pal its all it can be, put a multimeter on the lamp holder and see what the voltage is
C2RL R

26th Mar 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know you can get dimmable LEDs but dont you need a special controller to dim them? not just a normal dimmer for incandescent lighting?
drunkenfool

26th Mar 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently not with these new Philips ones, I've looked everywhere online for wiring diagrams etc and there is no mention of it. It just says they are compatible with the traditional dimmers with the rotating knobs, but not the new digital push switch ones. I had one cable coming out of the wall with one halogen and one LED bulb in it so I could compare the brightness, and that worked fine. I then wanted to see how bright it would be with a few more on so I did another cable off another light (same circuit) with 3 LED bulbs in, turned it on and then they all turned off! The bulbs themselves are fine though because I took the string of 3 off the lighting circuit and tested it with a 3 pin standard plug in the wall sockt with no problem so Im a bit confused!
oceansoul

26th Mar 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....the mcb/fuse hasnt tripped for the lighting circuit has it
drunkenfool

26th Mar 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah because they are only off in that one room, all the downstairs lights are on the same circuit
C2RL R

26th Mar 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have a multimeter?
drunkenfool

26th Mar 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do, yes. Which wires should I test in the dimmer to make sure that is getting the right feed? Im guessing that if the wiring to the dimmer is fine but the lights dont turn on (even though the bulbs work) then maybe its the dimmer thats blown?
C2RL R

26th Mar 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct mate. you should have a live going in, probably connected to the common terminal. put your red probe off your meter on there and the black to earth. you should get 230 volt accross there. then move the red probe to the output terminal of the dimmer. you should have a voltage there too but it will be less than 230 unless you have it switched to full brightness. if you have nothing at all then the dimmer is goosed. i'd be a bit wary about what caused it to fuck up. it could be that the type of load you are switching is not right for that dimmer.
oceansoul

26th Mar 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just be carefull. It is mains voltage! I once tested the back of a socket and touched the live, but my meter probe slipped onto the earth too!!! BANG! That shit me up!
Tiger

26th Mar 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Even though i'm going into my last year at college soon i STILL have to do the 17th seperate to it how's that for a piss take!

How did you find the 2391 mate?? Also how's the beemer coming along? lol

2391 was a tough cookie mate to be honest, but now i've done loads of testing since I did it I think I would have flown it.

Beemers going mint mate
Dave86

26th Mar 10 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i done it about this time last year, was a canter

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sparkies - In here..... 22 database queries in 0.0147049 seconds