corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can somebody explain this for me?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can somebody explain this for me?
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
13th Mar 03 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night I watched a programme about the millions of pounds manufacturers spend on developing safety systems in cars... for example airbags, S.I.P.S, crumple zones ect. If they are really trying to make cars safer in a crash then why isnt every new car fitted with a rollcage, buckets, harnesses, and big breaks. All these are essential in motorsport for a very good reason! They could manufacture cages in huge bulk so they would be cheep as fcuk to produce, and maybe insurance companies wouldnt get there arse in such a twist about me fitting a cage to my car...........Just a thought
Marc

13th Mar 03 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R u thee `Dr Pepper` or is it just coincidence?
beav

13th Mar 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tis a very good point...i have heard of ppl who wont even put a car on the road unless it has a cage in it, due to what they have seen in racing!
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHAT YOU MEAN THERES TWO OF US!!!!

Seriously though the more I think about this the more it makes sense....The only reason I can think of for them not doing this is that people wont buy the car because they think cages are ugly....But if it was made law, like wearing a seatbelt then you would have to buy a car with a cage
ChazSXi

13th Mar 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fink it would b pointless because it is not to evry1s taste!! An old woman who gos out and buys her brand new hyundai amica dont want big ass brajes, a rollcage, bucket seats and 4 point harnesses does she? Its up to the consumer to decide if they want xtra safety precautions!!!

Super_si

13th Mar 03 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youd probably find the restrains would surfice, ie brakes and seat belts.

harness are OTT for a road car, breaks well more the power the more the need kinda common sense.

Rollcage, you find someone that will insure you 1st + impractial for a 5 door isnt it? and for a 3 door when u consider, how advance would the cage need to be

ie just stop roof impact or also over the doors

Si
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an old lady might not want a rollcage but when shes diving at 10mph on the motorway and someone smacks her up the arse at 90mph, sending her flying over the hard shoulder i bet she would be bloody glad of it.lol
Super_si

13th Mar 03 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably not, we'd be one shit driver down.
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for insurance- there is no reason why airbags are free to insure where as cages are frowned on- its just you are assumed to be a risk if you feel it neccesary to have on....however, if they were mandatory then insurance would not be an issue
Super_si

13th Mar 03 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask around, 80% wont touch you with a cage
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I know they wont...but. if every new car was produced with a cage then they would have to or they would go out of business
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 03 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cages are fitted - they're just called 'passenger safety cells'. Door bars are fairly common as well. A lot of advertising in the past has gone in to the fact that the shell of the car acts like a big cage and doesn't deform in the event of a crash. A motorsport cage is more to stop the roof collapsing when you roll bumper over bumper at daft speed in to a tree. Bugger all use in a frontal crash! I'd sooner have a head on in my Astra with airbags and collapsable stuff than my Corsa which is stiffened with weld-in bits.
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough............you have managed to answer the title of my thread- congratulations sir you win our top prize..........We will remove free of charge all the airbags and collapsable stuff from your astra and replace it with stiffening weld in bits
Dr Pepper

13th Mar 03 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
beav

13th Mar 03 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see ur point Ian, suppose most quality modern cars have 'cages' anyway but...

some cages come with the parts that go forward and connect to the top of the front sus struts. I have heard from a person involved in a 120mph crash into a tree (stopped straight away and was completely head on) and seen the pictures and if it hadnt been for those extra bit then he swears he wouldnt be alive...because they stopped the engine from sitting on his lap!

[Edited on 13-03-2003 by beav]
Makarus

13th Mar 03 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roll cages are in cars the shell.

And if it came as standard there would be not point in modding

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can somebody explain this for me? 22 database queries in 0.0119720 seconds