corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anyone using their sky box for Freesat?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone using their sky box for Freesat?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Mar 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been a Sky+ HD subscriber for a little over a year, and had a sit down last night to think about how often I actually watched TV...

Turns out I'm paying about £15 per hour of TV watched thanks to sky, so I think a cancellation is on the cards

The only thing I used sky for was Lost and 24, I'm bored of both this series though and abandoned each of them half way through. I plan to rent them off of LoveFilm when they're out so I can watch them all on BluRay without adverts and all that crap, other than that I only watch the F1 which is on BBC1 anyway.

Apparently I can buy a £20(?) Freeview from Sky card which will allow me to use my box and dish for Free to Air channels, but I'm not sure what (if any) functionality I'll get from my Sky Box. Will I get the EPG and/or ability to record? I'm guessing stuff like series link and the ability to record two things at once will be gone at least - but can't find confirmation anywhere.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
adiohead

29th Mar 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use my sky box for freesat, but I got a "pay once watch forever" deal. had a few months worth of proper sky and then cancelled it.

Get most channels that are on freesat and freeview.
Sky hold back some, like Dave, which is really annoying.

EPG works fine.

Don't have plus or HD so I'm not sure they'd work. Think your box will just get the normal freesat from sky channels and no recording ability.
mwg

29th Mar 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate gets Freesat through his Sky Box & Sky dish. Never asked him how it works, he just got someone in to sort it for him.
Kif

29th Mar 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use the sky box and dish for that. I've only got a sky plus box though. I cant record, or watch anything that was recorded before which is a bit shit

I cant get dave, virgin1 or virgin 1+1 either. You get a shit load of music channels too, clubland tv, the vault etc. You can use the EPG like normal sky, but only get the freeview channels
John

29th Mar 10 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You definitely won't get sky+ functions.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kif
I use the sky box and dish for that. I've only got a sky plus box though. I cant record, or watch anything that was recorded before which is a bit shit

I cant get dave, virgin1 or virgin 1+1 either. You get a shit load of music channels too, clubland tv, the vault etc. You can use the EPG like normal sky, but only get the freeview channels

Sounds about like what I expected... how functional is the box without its hard drive I wonder, might salvage it for my NAS

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AlunJ

29th Mar 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once you cancel your sky contract, your card becomes a freesat from sky card. You will lose the sky+ functions (I think you can pay a small monthly sum to sky to keep these), should still get bbc hd and channel4 hd though... I think.
moka

29th Mar 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will only get the HD channels if you have a sky hd box.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
You will only get the HD channels if you have a sky hd box.

I do, so I'll still get Freesat HD channels... on that note - what exactly are the Freesat HD channels?

quote:
once you cancel your sky contract, your card becomes a freesat from sky card.

I didn't know that... can anyone confirm this?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AlunJ

29th Mar 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well on proper freesat you only get bbc hd and itv hd (when it broadcasts something which is rare lol)
with a sky box and a freesat card you get bbc hd, channel 4 hd and unofficially itv hd via the other channels menu.

quote:
once you cancel your sky contract, your card becomes a freesat from sky card.

I didn't know that... can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm this as my mum has not long just cancelled hers

[Edited on 29-03-2010 by AlunJ]
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent cheers! Now all that's left is to brave the aggressive negotiations with Sky customer support

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
adiohead

29th Mar 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should work for 3 years

"Your viewing card
You may only use your Viewing Card for private viewing purposes at your Address in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. For security reasons your Viewing Card may be replaced from time to time after it has first been enabled to receive Free to View Channels (normally when it is first used in the Box). If we replace Viewing Cards within 5 years (if you have paid £146.81) or 3 years (if you have paid £19.57) of your card’s first enablement, then a replacement Viewing Card will be provided to you free of charge, provided that you have complied with these Conditions. If we replace Viewing Cards after that period, you will need to purchase a new one by paying our then applicable charge (which shall not be more than £20)."
AlunJ

29th Mar 10 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Excellent cheers! Now all that's left is to brave the aggressive negotiations with Sky customer support

did for my mum online believe it or not, they arranged to ring her and give her every offer under the sun but soon got it cancelled.
heres the link https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyhelpcentre/contactus/kana
xa0s
Banned

29th Mar 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky+ functions are a extra £5 a month, but to be honest it's worth it. I'm considering buying a Sky HD box (again) just to watch freeview HD (and use it as a PVR).
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
Sky+ functions are a extra £5 a month, but to be honest it's worth it. I'm considering buying a Sky HD box (again) just to watch freeview HD (and use it as a PVR).

I'd pay that tbh to have the ability to record... How do I arrange to cancel my subscription but to continue with the record ability?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
adiohead

29th Mar 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think you can
xa0s
Banned

29th Mar 10 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Don't think you can

You can. I did it.

Just ring 'em mate. As long as you're out of contract you'll be fine.
Andrew

29th Mar 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get Freesat through my TV. Nice little selection of extra channels.

When i moved, decided £60 for TV, phone and internet was a bit much as i hardly watch any TV
adiohead

29th Mar 10 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Don't think you can

You can. I did it.

Just ring 'em mate. As long as you're out of contract you'll be fine.

ahhh, ok. I stand corrected

didn't quite get the gist of your previous post.
moka

30th Mar 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On another note, freeview HD is about to be released...

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD2

New Poll