corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Freeing up as much space as possible on PC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Freeing up as much space as possible on PC
Danny P

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically I want a "fresh start" for my desktop PC. When I move out im going to get a laptop so going to simply use this un I have now to store all my music on, and any films/tv shows I download so I want as much free space as possible.

Had a look through and there is nothing really I want or need on here so i'm guessing re-formatting is the way forward? Now I haven't got a Windows CD (it came pre-installed) and in the time i've had the PC it seems to have gone missing. I've just had a quick look on-line and it seems it can be done by doing a System Repair in the accessories menu, does that sound right

Its running Vista if that makes any difference...

Edit - After looking around on-line, re-formatting fully might not be the best option. Basically I just want my C: drive as empty as possible, remove any programmes and files I dont need to create as much free space as possible as I have quite a lot of music to get on here. I need the process of doing this to be as simple as possible an all please

[Edited on 03-04-2010 by Danny P]
Liam

3rd Apr 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Delete the partition, that will take everything off of it I think. Then install Windows7.
Richie

3rd Apr 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would move everything you need onto an external hard drive (if you have one)

Then when your machine is booting up - when you see the vista green bar - shut your machine off by pulling the power or holding the power button until it shuts off.

Next boot - choose repair my system and it will give you the option to take your PC back to factory.

[Edited on 03-04-2010 by Richie]
Danny P

4th Apr 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds nice & simple. Cheers.

Will it leave Windows on the hard drive then, or will I need to re-install it somehow?
Richie

4th Apr 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will auto reinstall it as long as your machine has the factory restore image - most shop bought PC's will have this.
Danny P

5th Apr 10 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, thats my job for this afternoon sorted then
ajscorsa

6th Apr 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a copy of windows 7, takes up much less space on your hard drive than vista does, its also alot quicker to use etc.
Richie

7th Apr 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive footprint isnt that much different - and for someone using it in the manner that Danny is - paying for Win7 won't be justifiable.
ENB

7th Apr 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Drive footprint isnt that much different - and for someone using it in the manner that Danny is - paying for Win7 won't be justifiable.

If you're a student (or know a student/some with an address which ends .edu or .ac.uk) you can get Win 7 for £40, direct from Microsoft...

Also there's no need to try and break you system to perform a factory reset. Watch the boot screens and look for the option which says Recover or similar and pressing the corresponding key; it's usually F9.

That is of course if you have a recovery partition.

New Poll