corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » You only become a good driver after a serious crash?

Poll: You only become a good driver after a serious crash?
  Yes
  No
  GTFO!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author You only become a good driver after a serious crash?
Twitch

User status: Offline
6th Apr 10 at 02:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basicly i recon you can only become a good driver untill you've had a serious crash. ( basicly write of or big dmg not a dink in a car park or something )

I know alot of people who are really good at driving its been there passion and grown up with it and they all had a major crash

Then i know some people who just dont have a fucking clue about the limits or a car or handling and just assume if its newer its better.
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 02:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand what you're saying.

I really learnt about the balance of a car after crashing from changing gear mid-corner.

Although I do feel that if you've been taught properly then you don't need to crash to be a good driver.
If I'd done the rally course I did before my crash then I'd of learnt about balance before hand.
alan-g-w

6th Apr 10 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Utter bullshit. I for one have had a serious crash where I wrote off a car doing about 60mph. I would say that I'm a better driver now, but only for the fact that I don't hoon around as much as I used to.

You don't learn anything about crashing when you do it other than it hurts. I would say that I'm a better driver now but it's not that crash that did it to me, just the fact that I'm a lot more mature than I was back then.

Just because you've crashed one car in one situation doesn't in any way, shape or form make you a better driver. It's just that, in my case anyway, it made me drive a bit slower. So it depends how you define a good driver.
strick206

6th Apr 10 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Complete and utter shit
x14xe sport

6th Apr 10 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i 1st passed my test i had a few offs down the local lanes from daft things like going to fast into corners and not anticpating the road ahead, also saw the benefit of having decent tyres etc and after surviving my 1st few weeks of motoring with just a few spins into a hedge and ditch and halfway up a sign post i havent crashed since and a drive hard, everywhere
Budgie

6th Apr 10 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i learned that its good to have tyres with tread especially in the winter
Paul_J

6th Apr 10 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

such a load of crap...

It's what bad drivers say (who crash)...

Same as the bad drivers whom fail their tests a lot of times and claim 'it makes you a better driver to take the test multiple times'.
Neo

6th Apr 10 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
It's what bad drivers say (who crash)...

Bang on
oceansoul

6th Apr 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think there are that many "Good" drivers. Most people are average or above average, but only properly trained drivers, i.e. Police persuit drivers, or paramedics etc are actually good. TBH most people in this country are terrible drivers.

I was always told, that someone that thinks they are a Good driver, arnt.
pow
Premium Member

6th Apr 10 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree to an extent, teaches you a lot about how a car can react when it all goes tits up but it's not the be all and end all!
AlunJ

6th Apr 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say I was a good driver, but I wouldn't say I was all that bad either, seeing what some idiots do does make you feel like a good one sometimes mind.
ajscorsa

6th Apr 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt say it makes you a better driver, just makes you think I dont wanna do that again so think about things more.

The only thing that makes you a better driver is experience. I crashed my car when I was 18 dont think it made me a better driver, just scared the shit out me, got me to sort ma self out and stop driving like a fanny.
mwg

6th Apr 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to think if someone had a crash it'd make them think about their driving a bit more and improve them. But the reality is I know lots of people that drive just as dangerously and carelessly as they did before.
Andrew

6th Apr 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had a crash so how does this make me a bad driver?
16vKarlos

6th Apr 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont agree at all really.

When i had just passed my test and all my other friends were passing their tests too.

i used to go out late at night and chuck my car around roundabouts when it was wet to see its limits. i wasn't scared about loosing control as that was what i was trying to do, so that i could regain control or learn how to correct the situation.

on a number of occasions i have seen a mate infront of me trying his hardest to correct a fishtale and completely failing by looking at me on the roundabout head on

Im not saying lets all go out and chuck our cars about, but that was my way of learning, partly because in the evening i was hanging out with people that were older than me and had faster cars, but i was good on corners and on several occasions i had comments as to how my car kept up through the twisties

My 2 pence
Shell
Premium Member

6th Apr 10 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in a bad accident before i learnt to drive and that's always made me a very cautious driver. However, it hasn't made me a better driver than everyone else. It makes you think more, it doesn't teach you how to be a rally driver in the twisties.
Paul_J

6th Apr 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Title should be changed to:

'Does having a big crash stop you driving like a moron?'

... Yes.
John

6th Apr 10 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been a better driver since crashing, not everybody learns though and that's not to say you can't be a good driver without having a crash.

Down to the individual.
Colin

6th Apr 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My crash came 7yrs after passing my test & taught me to be more cautious........of other pricks on the road.

Its other anuses on the road that make it a dangerous place, not me
Ben G

6th Apr 10 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a big crash and i don't think it made me a better driver, just made me more aware of the dangers of wet roads.

it's more the experience of driving that makes you a better driver, and getting some professional tuition.
Rammer

6th Apr 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a serious crash had a car drive into me doing 80mph while i was sat in my car stopped wondering where the fook she was going was in hospital a month and nearly died 2 times.
It made me more aware of other drivers, not only do you have to look where your going when your driving you have to be the eyes of other road users and look where their going aswell.
Daimo B

6th Apr 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The question is how good a driver are you if you've crashed in the first place???? (if you haven't been rammed that is)....

10 years driving, always at a quicker pace than is supposed to (im not a silly driver, but when out the towns, i generally drive a lot quicker than most, purley because its more fun, and I can ), being pulled at WELL over a tonne, but i've only had 1 crash. 3 months into driving, too busy trying to pickup a dropped fag (country lane, hit the bank, when on its side).

Problem resolution? - Don't smoke fags in cars.

Never had another car accident since.

If you want to learn awareness, get a bike (had to throw it in ).

In fact, the only thing thats improved my skill level, is track days, and experience. If you "get driving" you should be ok through life. If you "don't get it" then you will never be a good driver, as these people are too busy trimming beard hair and reading the paper instead of driving.

If they crashed, would it improve their skill level???

No.

So to answer your question. No, having a crash makes you no better a driver at all. If you want to be impoving your driving skills, go to an advanced driving course, a skid pan, and a track day, and go out on a bike (for the observational skills), and your driving will VASTLY improve.

But everyone is an excellent driver, they cna't be told. Even that chap with 1 finger up his nose, the other hand changing the paper to the next page, looking down at his phone, whilst on his bluetooth having a conversation.... He's in full control you know.....
MJFF88

6th Apr 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Four years no claims, no points, no bumps. I must be one of the lucky few if your theory is correct.
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Apr 10 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not been in any massive crashes but I've been been arse ended 3 times in less than a year. They've seriously knocked me confidence and I'm now a very paranoid driver. Especially when stopping at junctions, traffic lights etc I always worry. So even though mine weren't mine fault I'd say they have made me worse.
nathy_87

6th Apr 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, I had a crash back in November 2007 managed to write tehcar off, and I still drive like a knob.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » You only become a good driver after a serious crash? 22 database queries in 0.0124781 seconds