corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interview Questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Interview Questions
James

User status: Offline
15th Apr 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For an application support analyst?

I have to interview someone this afternoon. I have a load of questions but this will be a second round interview and most of mine were asked in the first round.

Any suggestions?
Budgie

15th Apr 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats your favourite cheese?
James

15th Apr 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One manager that interviewed someone here asked the guy to draw him a picture of a lion.

Genius.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some good generic ones? but i'll need your email address.
James

15th Apr 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u'd. Thanks.
SetH

15th Apr 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
For an application support analyst?

I have to interview someone this afternoon. I have a load of questions but this will be a second round interview and most of mine were asked in the first round.

Any suggestions?

Im assuming technical questions were asked in the first round and thus if this person has progressed to the 2nd round then you are satisfied with there skill set and experience?

If its a second interview then i`d be asking questions to see how well this person would fit into the existing team.
James

15th Apr 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh technical questions were asked although I intend on asking some harder technical questions in the second round on top of some team fit questions.
Ojc

15th Apr 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you a man?

How nice do you think your lips are?
SetH

15th Apr 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ROFL
James

15th Apr 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noted
SetH

15th Apr 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask it James, its a good test of character to see their reaction
Ojc

15th Apr 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said about him getting to draw a lion, who was it on here the other day that said they got asked to draw a bicycle in an interview?

Or was I dreaming that?
_Allan_

15th Apr 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna ask someone to draw a lion riding a bicycle. Cheers.
stuartmitchell

15th Apr 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These may give you an idea bud:

SUGGESTED COMPETENCY BASED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

Planning and organising

? How do you organise your working day?
? How do you organise yourself when you have a number of tasks to tackle at one time?
? When you have a deadline to meet how do you ensure you meet it? (provide an example)
? What do you do when your time schedule is upset by unforeseen circumstances?
? What is your procedure for keeping track of matters requiring your attention?
? What do you take account of when developing your staff?
? Describe any short or long-range plans you may have for developing your staff.
? Describe how to determine what constitutes top priorities in the performance of your job. Give examples.
? What organisational Changes have you made with previous employers? What were your reasons? What was the outcome?
? What did you do to achieve your objectives with your current / last employer?
? How would you go about achieving you objectives with Well Ops UK?

Communication

? Tell me how you handled the worst communication problem you have ever experienced?
? Tell me about your family, job, favourite hobby etc.
? How have you prepared for client meetings? Give me an example.
? In what way do you prepare to make a report?
? Tell me about a time when you had to prepare a written report. How did you go about this?
? What is your preferred form of communication?

Innovation

? How do you encourage your staff to come up with ideas for solving problems?
? Give me an example of an idea that you have come up with recently.
? What is the most imaginative/innovative thing you have done with past employers?
? Under what conditions are you most likely to show initiative/creativity?
? Tell me about a time you had to show initiative/creativity in your current job.
? How do you keep up with what’s going on in other parts of the company?
? What do you do to make your job easier or more rewarding?
? Give an instance when you anticipated a problem and influenced the outcome?
? List the new ideas and suggestions that you made to your manager in the last year. (The interviewer then picks one to explore in more depth).
? When you have a new idea how do you go about getting it accepted on your vessel?
? What have you done to make your staff’s jobs easier or more rewarding?
? How do you motivate your staff to generate new ideas?
? How did you go about getting your last job?

Decision Making

? Have you recently made a management decision that was not yours to make? If yes, what was it? Why did you make it?
? What areas in your position do you feel you should have decision-making authority, but do not? Describe the situations.
? Describe a recent decision having more than the usual element of risk.
? Describe a decision you made for which you did not have all the pertinent information. What influenced you to make the decision?
? What are the limitations of your decision-making authority on the job?
? Describe a situation when you received new procedures or instructions that you did not agree with – what did you do?
? Tell me about the most risky management decision that you have made (present company, previous employment). How long did it take you to gather the information to make the decision? How long after that to make the decision? What were the results?
? Describe a situation in which you weighed the pros and cons of a situation and decided not to take any action, even though you were under pressure to do so.
? Give me an example of a good decision you have made in the last six months. What made it a good decision?
? What is the biggest decision you have made in the last year? Tell me how you went about it?
? What is the toughest decision you have ever had to make? Tell me about it. What alternatives did you consider?
? In your current job, what has been the hardest decision you have had to make? How did you deal with it?
? What was your most difficult decision in the last six months? What made it difficult?
? How do you go about making an important decision affecting your career?
? What was the last major problem that you were confronted with? What action did you take on it?
? What was the last decision you faced in your job? What factors did you take into account in reaching your decision?
? When (if ever) have you delayed a decision to give you more time to think? What were the advantages of delay?
? What kinds of decision do you tend to make rapidly and which ones do you take more time on? Give me examples.
? On which decision did you deliberate the longest? Tell me about it.
? Give me an example of a situation in which you made up your own mind too rapidly. What was the result? What did you do?
? When have you declined to make a work related decision? Why?
? How do you determine problems in your work area? How do you determine priority for action?

Drive for Results

? What personal factors do you consider most important in evaluating yourself or your success?
? Why did you choose this career?
? Give me an example of work-based experience you found satisfying.
? Give me an example of work-based experience you found frustrating.
? What parts of your job do you most enjoy?
? How do you deal with parts of your job you dislike?
? What has been the most influential factor in your own development?
? Describe when you have felt greatest sense of achievement at work.
? In your position, how do you define ‘doing a good job’?
? Are you satisfied with your department’s performance? Why/why not?
? Have you ever missed a deadline? Why/why not?

Managing Self

? How do you manage your time? Set Priorities?
? Tell me how you go about managing your time and prioritising your workload.
? Tell me about a situation where you have been set several pressurised deadlines and how you have prioritised your time.
? How do you actively control your department’s budget? What actions do you take if you overspend?
? What methods do you usually use to keep informed of what is going on in your area of supervision.
? How much paperwork required in your present position is required? Why do you feel this way?
? What reports do you use? What controls do you have? What do you do about out-of-line situations?
? How do you keep your manager informed about your area?
? When you are affected by situations beyond your control what do you do?
? What support departments do you most commonly use and why?
? Whom, outside your department, do you work with to accomplish your objectives?
? What do you do when faced with a problem you can’t solve?
? What departments have you found to be of most assistance in helping you solve problems?
? How do you approach planning your own training and development?
? How do you go about implementing a personal action plan following a training event or appraisal meeting? Give an example of when you have done this.

Leadership

? What performance evaluation procedures do you use for evaluating your staff?
? Have you experienced a situation where you have found that your techniques for regulation activities are only loosely adhered to by staff? If so, how did you address this?
? What in you experience are the advantages/disadvantages of holding staff meetings?
? Tell me about a change that you have had to implement. What approach did you take to get the members of your team to buy-in to the change?
? Why and how frequently do you meet with your staff as a group? How do you prepare? What do you do at and after the meeting?
? How do you involve your staff in problem solving?
? How did you set objectives for your department this/last year?
? What communication system have you established in your department this/last year?
? How do you get your staff to accept and work towards your department goals? (provide examples)
? Tell me about a time when you had to handle a performance issue with a member of your team?
? What, specifically, do you do to set an example for your staff to follow?
? What sort of leader do you feel you are? Give me examples of what you have done to develop these individuals.
? How often do you attend meetings with peers? Describe your approach to such meetings?
? Have you ever chaired a group that didn’t report to you but from which you had to get work? How did you do it? Would you do it differently next time?
? How do you judge whether or not a meeting has been a success?
? When/why have you involved members of the team in helping you make a decision?
? In what ways do you recognise the performance of your team?
? Explain your biggest mistake in delegating.
? Explain your biggest mistake in not delegating.
? What keeps you from delegating more?
? What tools are the most helpful to you in managing your department? Why?
? What communication systems have you established as a manager?
? What type of training or information do you give to your staff?

Team Orientation

? How do you decide to whom you will delegate a task?
? Describe the type of decision making you delegate to staff along with your reasons for doing so.
? Describe your criteria for delegating assignments.
? If the degree of delegation varies among staff, explain how and why.
? When did you have a major problem requiring staff help? What action did you take? Why did you ask particular people to assist you?
? How do you measure the performance of staff to whom you have delegated a task?
? What role do you find yourself naturally taking in a team situation?
? Tell me about a project you have been involved in as part of a team. How did the team successfully achieve its aims? What did you as an individual do to ensure its success?
? Give me an example of where you have been part of a team which has been unsuccessful in achieving its aims. What did you as an individual do to try to make it successful?
? Tell me about a project where you have led a team. How did it achieve its goals? What did you contribute? How did you go about leading the team?
? How do you go about motivating a team to achieve its goals? Tell me about times when you have motivated a team.
? Tell me about a situation where you were faced with encouraging a demotivated team. Were you successful? How were you successful?
? Describe a situation where you, as part of a team, have had to work with another team toy achieve an outcome. How did the two teams relate? How did you as an individual contribute to the successful outcome?
? Tell me about your experience of working in teams which did not relate well. How did you as an individual attempt to overcome the difficulties?
? What attributes do you feel make an individual a good team played?

Problem Solving

? Have you ever recognised the existence of a problem before your manager or others in the organisation – what did you do?
? How do you stay attuned to potential problems?
? Describe the biggest problem that you faced within the last six months. How did you handle it?
? What sources of information do you use to keep aware of problems within your business area?
? When have you involved staff in problem solving? Why?
? Describe a problem you solved which gave you great satisfaction.
? Tell me about a problem you had to solve recently – how did you go about it?

Flexibility and Response to Change

? What was your biggest disappointment? How did you cope with it?
? How do you pick yourself up after a disappointment?
? Give me an example about a situation where you felt pressurised. How have you dealt with this?
? Tell me about the last time you wanted to give up on something but didn’t.
? On your CV you said that you did …….. Tell me more about how you pushed this project through/completed this?
? Who is the most difficult manager/colleague/customer you have had to deal with on a long-term basis. How did you manage it?
? How do you respond to major changes in your working environment? Tell me about the changes you have experienced. How did you respond to the change? How did you implement the changes?
? Give an example of a situation where you have had to implement a change within the workplace.
? Tell me about a new system/procedure which you have had to implement within the workplace when you have not been fully supportive. How did you manage this with others?
? Where your team has been unresponsive/negative to changes how have you dealt with this and motivated your team?
? Tell me about a situation where changes have not been implemented successfully by others and you have improved on the outcomes.

Customer Focus

? Give me an example of how you have developed a rapport with a new client as the basis of a sound working relationship? What difficulties did you encounter? How did you overcome these difficulties?

Valuing People

? Tell me about a situation where you have had to provide support/guidance to a colleague. How did you approach this? What was the outcome?
? Tell me about a situation where you have had to handle a conflict situation between two colleagues. How did you achieve a satisfactory outcome?
? Have you ever taken action that has unknowingly had an adverse effect on colleagues? If so, how did you handle this when you became aware?

Technical and Professional Competence

? When taking up a new position, how do you go about developing the knowledge required to perform your role effectively? Tell me about what you were required to learn in your current role and how you went about this.
? How do you go about keeping up to date with current developments in your area of expertise?
? How do you approach the teaching/coaching of a new colleague in the technical aspects of their roles?
? Tell me about a situation where you had to implement new working practices and how you approached this.
? How do you share your technical knowledge and expertise with colleagues?
Steve
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find the modern day interview process a bit of a joke, are interviews really a good way to determine what someone is like, how well they are likely to perform etc, you can make up anything.

And the whole points based system, if someone scores more points then someone else you cant give the person who scored less the job even if generally they came across better
Paul_J

15th Apr 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask him to sing you a song.
mwg

15th Apr 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet you could ask some stupid questions and pass it off as some kind of new interviewing technique and get away with it!
Budgie

15th Apr 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you rather be attacked by a horse sized duck or 10 duck sized horses?
mwg

15th Apr 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLOL I pissed myself when I heard that
Budgie

15th Apr 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you rather spaghetti for hair or sausages for fingers?
P1CK4D

15th Apr 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Budgie - FLOL
John

15th Apr 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spaghetti for hair because it would grow back.

Sausage fingers would be gone when you had finished them.
Budgie

15th Apr 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sit them down and go:
Mickey is a mouse
donald is a duck
pluto is a dog
WTF is goofy

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interview Questions 22 database queries in 0.0164621 seconds