corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Known Universe

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Known Universe
Matt.H

User status: Offline
18th Apr 10 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A cool vid some of you may enjoy...Watch fullscreen and in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=player_embedded
oceansoul

18th Apr 10 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That. Is.
sand-eel

18th Apr 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats one of the best space vids i've seen to show how vast it is, even at light speed (300000 km/s) after millions of years there is still billions to go until you get to the edge of what we have mapped, it seems space is infinate, but it seems impossible to have something that is infinate.
corsa-sxi

18th Apr 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we are like a drop in the ocean..amazing aint it, there must be some form of life beyond earth
Griffiths1991

18th Apr 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Thats one of the best space vids i've seen to show how vast it is, even at light speed (300000 km/s) after millions of years there is still billions to go until you get to the edge of what we have mapped, it seems space is infinate, but it seems impossible to have something that is infinate.

This.
JonnyJ

18th Apr 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome. Fantastic post and video, cheers for sharing

I'm fascinated by anything to do with the universe, literally blows my mind and I watch anything on tv about it.

The theories on the universe are crazy. Like IF the universe is infinite then thats means there will be another earth out there, in fact there will be an infinite amount of earths with infinite amounts of me and you and every possible situation will be played out such as one where i win the lottery and one where we dont win WWII or WWII never happens.

But then there are others such as string theory and multiverses which really are insane when they describe what they believe they are like.
sand-eel

18th Apr 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonders of the solar system by Brain Cox is a pretty good program.
Eg the sun emits something like 100 million times what the USA in watts uses in a year every second and you could power 3-4 100watt light bulbs for every square foot of the ground.
Griffiths1991

18th Apr 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ

I'm fascinated by anything to do with the universe, literally blows my mind and I watch anything on tv about it.

The theories on the universe are crazy. Like IF the universe is infinite then thats means there will be another earth out there, in fact there will be an infinite amount of earths with infinite amounts of me and you and every possible situation will be played out such as one where i win the lottery and one where we dont win WWII or WWII never happens.

But then there are others such as string theory and multiverses which really are insane when they describe what they believe they are like.

Lets say that theory was correct, wouldnt mean the same person would be born over and over though would it inless there was a parallel universe.
JonnyJ

18th Apr 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched that, it was pretty good but I've sen better stuff. Used to be a program called "Universe" on Discovery Sci i think, or maybe the history channel. That was an epic series and went deep into the universe rather than Brian Cox's which was obviously more geared to just our solar system and I'm more interested in whats past that.

Anyone interested in stuff like this should definitely read Steven Hawkin's A Brief History Of Time. I don't read many books but i read that front to back. Can get confusing at times but i prefer it to be like that than "dumbed down"
sand-eel

18th Apr 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye I've got that "universe" on DVD, is quite good indeed.
JonnyJ

18th Apr 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Griffiths1991
quote:

Lets say that theory was correct, wouldnt mean the same person would be born over and over though would it inless there was a parallel universe.

Well if the universe goes on forever then EVERY single possible thinkable thing will happen. It doesn't mean the same person will be born over and over again as there would have to be a world where that person wasnt born and then a worlds for every possible situation without that person being there. Its hard to imagine, its best not to think about it as your mind will explode. I think scientists are starting to think now though that it is finite.
JonnyJ

18th Apr 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
aye I've got that "universe" on DVD, is quite good indeed.

Think i might have to make a purchase
Matt.H

18th Apr 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also too fascinated by anything to do with space. I watched Wonders of The Solar System and thought it was good. Just some of the facts and figures to do with space are absolutely mind boggling.

I saved this GIF from another thread which I thought was cool. Someone said they had this as one big JPEG but can't remember who. Would like a copy though if anyone has it

Griffiths1991

18th Apr 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well if the universe goes on forever then EVERY single possible thinkable thing will happen. It doesn't mean the same person will be born over and over again as there would have to be a world where that person wasnt born and then a worlds for every possible situation without that person being there. Its hard to imagine, its best not to think about it as your mind will explode. I think scientists are starting to think now though that it is finite.

I see what your saying now, very hard to think about
Ingham
Banned

18th Apr 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That actually is mind boggling. :/
micra_pete
Premium Member

18th Apr 10 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where's heaven?
John

18th Apr 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see what your saying now, very hard to think about

That's infinite universes rather than 1 infinite universe.
Wrighty

18th Apr 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

space is big, we are small.

theres all that out there and we live in a world with war trying to blow each other up all the time..
sand-eel

18th Apr 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True we should put all war resources into finding other bigger things, eg making a starship enterprise, would cost trillions but worth it.
Eddx14xe

18th Apr 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its strange when you see things like that, how small we actually are and how much other things are out that apart from the sun, moon etc.

Also the way that it just keeps going and knowing if theres a edge to the universe, if it keeps going, whats it going into? If it ends somewhere, whats going to be there to stop it?
JonnyJ

19th Apr 10 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo worth a watch:

http://tvshack.net/tv/The_Universe/season_3/episode_2/
Daimo B

19th Apr 10 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt.H
I'm also too fascinated by anything to do with space. I watched Wonders of The Solar System and thought it was good. Just some of the facts and figures to do with space are absolutely mind boggling.

I saved this GIF from another thread which I thought was cool. Someone said they had this as one big JPEG but can't remember who. Would like a copy though if anyone has it

Whats your email address?
oceansoul

19th Apr 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All this yet dumbarse people in the uk still think the moon is a planet, or cant name even half the planets of our solar system
Neo

19th Apr 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo B

19th Apr 10 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohhhhh theres bigger stars than Cephei in our Milky Way....... Biggest known so far I think is VY Canis Majoris. About twice the size of Cephei.

If you click on the YT link at the start of the post, theres a side linked video (about 2.10?) with a chart, which plays the music from "the Black Hole" which is a really good little representation video.

With a comment at the end...

If a Jetliner flew the surface at 900kmh, it would take 1100 years to do one rotation (bearing in mind the ISS orbits the earth once every 90 minutes!!!!)

I would link it but cant get on YT at work.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Known Universe 22 database queries in 0.0095291 seconds