corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Drifting

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RC Drifting
A2H GO

User status: Offline
1st May 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at buying an RC Drfit car for a while now, just wondered if there was anyone on here who could give me a bit of advice?

I'm think im gonna go for a Tamiya TT-01D, specifically the new Subaru shape. Googled and looked on eBay but cant find where to buy them?

I also want to buy the kit and build it myself....hard to do?

Aswell as the chassis kit it looks as though you need to buy other bits seperately, Reciever, Battery etc....basically i havent got a clue but need at new hobbie.
Jay

1st May 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually comes in a kit with receiver battery etc, I built an RC Car when I was 15 so cant be that hard! I enjoyed building it more than I did using it still got it now.
shaunmods
Premium Member

1st May 10 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be really big on RC drifting. Haven't used my car in over a year though Hoping to get back into it this year!

you're best bet would be to check out http://www.drccentral.com/forum Loads of helpful info there about which chassis to go for etc

I also used a TT01. Its a very basic chassis compared to others out there. But if you spent some time and money on it you can make them into a good chassis for drifting. I competed with mine for a couple of years and won a few events and got ranked 4th in europe for 2008 so they can be just as good as the rest

The tt01 kit is really easy to build. You're best doing it this way so you have an idea of how it works in case something goes wrong. But yes you need to buy the control, speed controller, receiver and battery separate if you buy a kit

couple of pics of mine to give you some ideas

[Edited on 01-05-2010 by shaunmods]
Limecat
Banned

1st May 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends on what you buy. A chassis will be just that, maybe with a crap 3 way mechanical servo-operated speedo and a standard 27 turn motor.

If you buy it with radio gear or as a package you will get a NiCAD, servo, receiver etc.

I personally HATE Tamiya, I think they are utter dogshit because if you break a part you have to buy a blister set so you end up with half a million of the same thing spare because you ALWAYS break the same bloody part.

Rick Draper would be a good port of call, I recall he races in the Tamiya Eurocup (or used to?). I used to do it to a high standard at club level.

It can get expensive quickly. When I last raced a top-end NiCAD/Motor was £50 a chuck and I have 8 of each. My main battery charger alone was £125, I have 3 decent ones.

The chassis on mine probably stood me at about £500+ at a guess?

I also had rather a lot of spare tyres. (About £8-13 a pair brand new and they are ALL brand new!)

Also have my YRF2.

They are the only pictures I have in my photobucket.
Jake

1st May 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have a tt-01 with drift tyres and it was fine. perhaps abit heavy but other than that good for a beginner
A2H GO

1st May 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, didn't realise there would be people on here who took it so seriously!

Basically, I'm not looking to go pro or anything, a starter kit that I can slide around a car park when I'm bored on a Sunday afternoon would be fine. I'm more looking forward to actually building it, lol.

So as an entimate how much am I looking for everything all in, chassis kit, batteries, reciever, charger... I was hopeing around £100 but now I'm thinking £250?

Limecat
Banned

1st May 10 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's about 7/8 years since I raced so I am no doubt well out of touch.

I am fairly sure I have about 1' deep of RC mags in a drawer at the old Queens house. They will gen you up if you wish to collect or I can post at cost?

Last time I raced you could get a fair full kit with everything needed (turdy trickle charger!) for about £160-180.

Do you have any local clubs? You could ask at local model shops. You will find someone there selling something decent specced for sensible money plus you get to see what people are running. If you plan to step up over casual use it's a good idea as there is no point being the only one with a certain model as when you bend it and dont have the spare you are out for the night! I used to have 3 FULL cars as spares.
Paul_J

1st May 10 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started off with a TT01...

ended up getting a carbon mission chassis like this

and a load of motors and stuff... was a good 5 years or so ago though, got it all upstairs still.

I may dig it out and turn it into a RC drifter for a laugh.
antnee

2nd May 10 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some stuff I pulled out of a RTR car, fairly decent speedo and servo, all the electrics you would need to set you up really, U2U if interested

Paul, you have a MI3 for drifting?
Ryan_G1

2nd May 10 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5765/photo656.jpg

and a load of motors and stuff... was a good 5 years or so ago though, got it all upstairs still.

Is that not an HPI Pro Race 3?
A2H GO

2nd May 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
I've got some stuff I pulled out of a RTR car, fairly decent speedo and servo, all the electrics you would need to set you up really, U2U if interested

Paul, you have a MI3 for drifting?

Thanks for the offer dude but think im gonna start from scratch and make a proper go of it.
A2H GO

2nd May 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_G1
quote:

It looks either way!
A2H GO

2nd May 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want this guys Subaru from Modified Live

Paul_J

2nd May 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_G1
quote:

I just typed 'schumacher carbon mission' into google images... that chassis says 'schumacher along the front'

This is an old pic of mine, with shit on it ...

So do you guys run it just rwd? or do you still run 4wd? ... I take it you run different sort of tyres and stuff for drifting?

I've got a model shop in my village http://www.apexmodels.com/ - so I may pop in and buy some bits and pieces
Paul_J

2nd May 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm I want this

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/17541.html

Ryan_G1

2nd May 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks the same C/F chassis as the pro race 3

Cracking car anyway
Paul_J

2nd May 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do any of you guys feel embarressed using it though ?

this is the reason mine has sat on my shelf for years... I feel quite embarressed taking it out and using it in public rofl.
corsa120

2nd May 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure its a nitro car, battery ones are kool but nitro in my opinion rock..... my old one drifted superb and supposidly hit 60mph it was feckin quick

corsa120

2nd May 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no more embarrassing then driving a modified car paul is it
Paul_J

2nd May 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
no more embarrassing then driving a modified car paul is it

I meant more about the fact, you're a grown man playing with a toy in a public car park.
Paul_J

2nd May 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone answer my question about the RC drifting, do you use RWD or 4WD?

do you just use shitter tyres for rear wheels or something...

I notice on the apex models site they have 'drift tyres' for sale.
Dan
Premium Member

2nd May 10 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
I used to be really big on RC drifting. Haven't used my car in over a year though Hoping to get back into it this year!

you're best bet would be to check out http://www.drccentral.com/forum Loads of helpful info there about which chassis to go for etc

I also used a TT01. Its a very basic chassis compared to others out there. But if you spent some time and money on it you can make them into a good chassis for drifting. I competed with mine for a couple of years and won a few events and got ranked 4th in europe for 2008 so they can be just as good as the rest

The tt01 kit is really easy to build. You're best doing it this way so you have an idea of how it works in case something goes wrong. But yes you need to buy the control, speed controller, receiver and battery separate if you buy a kit

couple of pics of mine to give you some ideas

[Edited on 01-05-2010 by shaunmods]

Thats snetterton market race track isnt it.

That track was built due to me Having worked on the market since i was about 5, for my family, i got to know the owner very well. I used to have a schumacher axis pro back in the day, and used to drive it round the market, the night before the market opened. He used to moan about me doing it, and said ill tell u what, ill build you a track, if you stop driving it round the market.

My claim to no fame

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
jr

2nd May 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

user to race in a few national series, did very well IMO, racing with Yokomo and Xray
Budgie

2nd May 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods

imagine the front of the 1st one and the rear of the 2nd and thats something like ive got.
but missing some bumbers and wings and to 1:1 scale
AndyKent

2nd May 10 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought an Xray T2 a couple of years ago cos I thought it looked cool. Like Paul says I felt a proper fool actually using it in public so that was a grand waste of £200

Amazing looking machine. Full carbon chassis, 19T motor, brand new speed controller etc. Wasted on me though, think I used it once in an actual race and once outside in public.

Still sat in the box in the spare room now.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RC Drifting 23 database queries in 0.0149291 seconds