corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » deano87's eco rant - StopStart technology and the like

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author deano87's eco rant - StopStart technology and the like
deano87

User status: Offline
5th May 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody Government, they've got it all wrong.

All this StopStart technology found on nearly every manufacturers cars, plus special tyres on the likes of Bluemotions and other ridiculous emission saving stuff is a waste of time.

It supposedly lowers the emissions which puts it into a lower tax bracket. Great for low to no road tax, lower tax for company car drivers etc.

But what happens when people turn the StopStart off (as dad has in the 120d - hardly ever works anyway)? Or replace the tyres on their Bluemotion with budget rubbish which cause loads of friction? Emissions go up yet tax relief etc stays the same. Or if some boy racer Halfords special adds a great big bodykit to his mums Bluemotion thus ruining the aerodynamics they improved.

Surely also all this StopStart if actually used is going to increase wear on the battery, alternator and starter motor - more shit going to landfill and not lasting as long.

A stupid ploy by car manufacturers and the Government has fallen for it imho. They should tax on engine capacity or something.

Nick-S

5th May 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it realy bother you that much deano?
Kurt

5th May 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt the old car tax scheme used to be by Capacity?
Nic Barnes

5th May 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who cares? i drive massive fuel consuming cars and fuckin enjoy every second of destroying the environment. fuck em.
antnee

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Didnt the old car tax scheme used to be by Capacity?

yup.

Im sure I read/heard a while ago about maggie thatcher was looking into lean burn technology when she was in power, which would of been a lot better than most of the stuff we have currently
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its handy at times the stop start but I knock it off any of my cars when in traffic as forever stopping and starting.

Not bad if your stopping every 5mins or so but every 20seconds when moving forward in traffic is an utter pain.

But tbh I don't really give a fuck, it obviously keeps tax emissions down therefore is a bonus surely?!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ben G

same could be said about kurts point.

pay tax for a 2.0 turbo, mod it to 500bhp, still pay the same tax yet i'm guessing emissions goes through the roof

just one of those things, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Andrew

5th May 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm all for saving money me
ed

5th May 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deal with it.
deano87

5th May 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not losing any sleep over it and it doesn't bother me. I just think the Government has completely lost the plot in taxing based on emissions - all cause damage to the roads, require road maintenance.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
But tbh I don't really give a fuck, it obviously keeps tax emissions down therefore is a bonus surely?!

The point I'm making is there is no real evidence, imho, if it kept emissions down - people turn it off and the car is just as damaging as one without the StopStart.
Nic Barnes

5th May 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are your plans to stop cows farting which is destroying the atmoshpere or whatever the thing is called that i dont care about. there are more cows than cars. are you going to tax their trumps?
deano87

5th May 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should do tbh. Or just make more burgers.
Nic Barnes

5th May 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

making burgers also damages the environment. infact you typing on the net is doing that also. so who cares about eco cars?
Ben G

5th May 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another point for you i read today.

all these foreign lorries that come over, use our roads, pollute our country, do 600 million miles every year on our roads yet on average only fill up 10 litres of fuel on british soil.

they fill up their tanks to the brim on the continent where the fuel is cheaper then drive over here and use it all up.

so they basically get to drive on our roads and spend about £11 for 10 litres of fuel to do so.

madness.
John

5th May 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Making more burgers means you need more cows, who then fart more, you've not put much thought into this.
Andrew

5th May 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bastards

Nic Barnes

5th May 10 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the environment is fucked. there is nothing anyone can do. it will last our lifetime and probably many many many many many many more hundreds of years. we will be dead, so might aswell just carry on.
deano87

5th May 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Making more burgers means you need more cows, who then fart more, you've not put much thought into this.

I meant to wipe out existing cows that pollute
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th May 10 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've had a bluemotion Golf and Passat on demo for a few nights and both have returned less mpg than my Golf GT TDi.

Something for you to get upset and worried about Deano.

For the owner of these "eco" cars they are a huge bonus as they are so darn cheap on company car tax which is the main aim IMO, having just put out a new company car policy at work the savings are huge on the likes of the BMW efficent dynamics and VW bluemotion stuff.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
deano87

5th May 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, I couldn't agree me that they're a great idea. But they're not such a 'guaranteed' source of lower emissions to the ability to override and modify the vehicle.

That's all I meant - they're rewarding for something which isn't a dead cert.
Graham88

6th May 10 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see how they put less wear and tear on the roads aswell, so they pay £35 I pay £425, still 4 tyres on the fucking road!!
ed

6th May 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car tax is based on emissions though.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th May 10 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not based on emissions.

Ste emits more pollution out of his 1.3 diesel Corsa than I do out oy my 2.0 Astra simply because he does more miles than me.

If it were based on emissions, I wouldn't be paying over 10 times the road tax that he is.
DaveB

6th May 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 4 month old Golf Mk6 bluemotion as a company car.

Costs me around £40 a month in tax and gets great economy - 50mpg around town at 65mpg+ on motorway runs (which is 650miles to £50)

My economy was sub 45mpg before it was 'run in' - it's now got 8,000miles on it and the economy is now almost at book figures
Daimo B

6th May 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im all for hippy green cars.

Less petrol used on those that don't care, means more petrol available for those of us that do.

(thinking 20-30 years down the line )

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » deano87's eco rant - StopStart technology and the like 23 database queries in 0.0125940 seconds