corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk4 Astra gsi- buying help?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mk4 Astra gsi- buying help?
X16joeXE

User status: Offline
11th May 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking about getting one for a while now as a upgrade to the corsa.

I was just wondering where to start realy. I've been looking on autotrader etc, but I don't know a great deal about them. I don't know what you'd class as a reasonable price for one, or what a mint one would go for. If I can get the cash together I'd have about £5-6k. What sort of gsi would I get for this kind of figure? Any info or buying tips would be appreciated

Skylined

11th May 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid 5800 for my blue one last september, but blue ones are worth more due to them being like a special edition.

Normal black/red ones are going for 4-5k I think.

Just check that it boosts right, no flat spots or anything and pulls all the way up the rev range. Try have a go in someone's beforehand so you have an idea of how fast it should feel.

And watch out for usual turbo damage like blue smoke etc.

Oh, and unless you have unlimited money to throw at it get a relatively standard one, any that I've seen running big power need fixing every month for something or other.
marklawton

11th May 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as skylined said, just make sure it boosts ok and no smoke, as turbos are common for going and your looking at £500 for a new one. check the rear arches aswell and then just the usual stuff like tyres etc as they they eat them lol
Liam

11th May 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blue one's arn't a special edition as such, just more desirable. Red is the rarest colour, with about 20 being made.

Turbo's are prone to failing, so if it's been replaced, ideally you'd want the VXR turbo on it, and also the "oil restrictor bolt" which courtenay sport sell.

Rocker gaskets also fail, DIY fix at a guess.

For £6k you should get a minter, atleast a 53 or maybe an 04, but some people seem to ask stupid money for them, one I rang about was a 2003 "03" and he wanted £7.5k! I lauged at him and put the phone down.

I would also only buy one with a FSH, not worth the risk.

Also, check the front seats, just by the airbag, as from some i've been to see, this comes away from behind the plastic.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk4 Astra gsi- buying help? 22 database queries in 0.0098081 seconds