corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boot builds / What shall I do with my rear seats?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boot builds / What shall I do with my rear seats?
Gazdaman

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So,

I've been on the lookout for a Combo van for a while now, I found a decent deal, only to find I can't insure the bugger for anything other than silly money.

So I've decided to stick with my Corsa, and do something with the boot/back seats.

I want to blend my 2 10" subs, amp and 2 6x9s into the build somewhere, but if they're hidden, that's all good too.

My first idea was to remove the rear seats, and lay a giant flat sheet of MDF, carpet it and go from there. But what are the pros and cons of removing the rear seats. I rarely take passengers so I'm not worried about that, I realise I may have some MOT hassle, but I can always put them back in.

So if anyone's got any pictures of boot builds/stripped rears where some speakers have been incorporated I'd be extremely grateful for the ideas.

I do have a set of Calibra rear seats, but I'd need to get a post 97 rear back rests in order to fit it, and I just can't be arsed with the hassle, especially since I've got two new bucket seats on the way.
And also, if I remove the parcel shelf, I'm a bit worried about security because my subs etc will be on display, so would some dark tints be good enough or does anyone else have any other ideas?

Gaz
Alex_Rally

3rd Jun 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boot builds are gay !!!
pooly-adam

3rd Jun 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats mine
Gazdaman

3rd Jun 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, after something a bit more subtle! I don't really want a 'boot build' as such. I want to strip out the rear, and run 3-point harnesses for the front seats. But I don't want plain metal in the back, so I want to create a flat false floor.

It's more a case of how do I integrate my sub/amps rather than just having them sat there on top.

And does anyone else have a stripped out rear with a false flat floor? I'd love to see some pics.

Gaz
Gareth F

3rd Jun 10 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sink it into the spare wheel well and hope to god you dont get a puncture. Or get a small sub that will fit inside the wheel if put in upside down. Pip has an awesome sub box
Gazdaman

4th Jun 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, I did this:

Cut a base, quite short at the front to clear the tow-bar assembly, screwed the amp to it

Cut a false floor, better shaped to the 'front' of the boot, so it fills the space better. Screwed some lengths of 4"x2" on the bottom, that sit above and below the amp to avoid fouling any wires.

Then I removed one of my subs from the two sub box and sawed it in half. Luckily there was a divider in the middle, so what was left was almost a completely self contained sub/box. So I poorly recarpeted what had been exposed

Then screwed some dowel down to keep the sub still

Sounds fantastic, gained a load of boot space back. I've bought a load of acoustic carpet to carpet the false floor, and to re-do the sub box and probably have enough left over to carpet the stealth shelf I'm planning on making next.

Gaz

[Edited on 04-06-2010 by Gazdaman]

[Edited on 04-06-2010 by Gazdaman]
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 10 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats fine, but you should think about running some PC fans through the floor otherwise your amp will overheat.

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Gazdaman

4th Jun 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't understand why amps don't have small fans built in if they're so prone to overheating. It's definitely an option, that bottom 'floor' is a blank canvas. I was semi tempted to do the whole perspex window 'thing' over the amp.

What's likely to happen if it overheats? Deadness? Or blow a fuse on the amp?

Gaz
Gazdaman

4th Jun 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and you seem to know your stuff with ICE.

My amp has a connector on it, and a variable controller that plugs in, except the thing doesn't seem to alter anything. I can move it from min to max and I can't tell any difference at all.

Do you normally have to switch those things on, or do they only work on certain settings or something?

I would just take it out again, but I plumbed all the damn wiring under my trim.

Gaz
SteveW

4th Jun 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres mine from waaaaay back.
sunk into spare wheel well.

was coolio at the time but probably not at all these days
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

4th Jun 10 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume your on about the remote gain, They seem to be a bit hit & miss in my experience. The one I have in my system seems to have more effect when the gain on the amp is opened right up. (Directed amp btw) But my mate has one on a vibe amp that does sweet FA.

Edit: overheating your amp will cause it to die. or randomly set fire to itself like my first amp felt the need to do

[Edited on 04-06-2010 by basslinecorsa]

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boot builds / What shall I do with my rear seats? 23 database queries in 0.0474188 seconds