corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » First garden project

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First garden project
jibjob

User status: Offline
4th Jun 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been thinking for a while about building a pond/water feature etc. Its not going to be anything spectacular, just a normal sized, normal spec'd pond. Only problem is i don't have a clue where to start

My basic idea was to have some sort of water feature flowing into the main pond. Theres not really much space for it so it will only be maybe 1m x 2m x 1m. As you can see from the picture below it will go in the corner of the flower bed next to the fence and shed. As its currently just flower bed. From the patio you wont be able to see the water feature but we have a small section of low fence running from the shed to an arch over where the patio joins the grass and thats where the main bulk of the pond will be so you can see it. The only other option is to build it on top of the patio to the side. Either way it will be raised up enough for the dog to not go swimming in it

The water feature im not quite sure on. I fancy a river design over a sloping design but it will be mounted high enough above the main pond to give aeriation to the water as the water enters the pond.

The main pond will be an oblong shape over all unless anyone can give me a bit of advice on the overall shape. It will have a deep section in the centre with a gravel bottom and lillies planted at the bottom to give the fish something to hide in. It will then have varying levels of shelfs around the edge to be able to give a base for more plants. Also i think id put a couple of larger rocks at the bottom for bacteria to live on and something extra for the fish. As per pic

The main problems come when it comes down to materials. For the main bulk of the pond id use sandstone but when it comes to liners, underlay etc where do i start? Its going to be built on a budget but i dont want anything thats going to rip or shred or start to leak in a year or two. Also for the size of pond what pump/filter set up would i need?

Id leave the pond for a month or two to set itself up and get settled before i added the fish and when i did i think id go for about 4 koi and maybe a couple of others - tench, orfe, goldfish.

What the best way to go about building the pond? Basic foundations for the walls, fine sand at the bottom, build a basic box to mount the pump in/waterfall on, liner between edging stones and wall stones, filter setup?

Ive probably explained it really shitly but i can picture it roughly how i want it but its just the materials, best building techniques etc.

Any help would be great. Also links to cheap materials, guides, forums etc would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jon
MarkM

6th Jun 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drunkenfool is your man. U2U him.
jibjob

6th Jun 10 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. It was his threads that inspired me to give it a go!

New Poll