corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 4 years - then bang

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 4 years - then bang
Daimo B

User status: Offline
9th Jun 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 years we've had the astra.
Full vauxhall maintained
Never thrashed in 1st, very rarely revved over 5k in any gear.
Just paid this months final payment.
Just serviced and MOT'd

1 gearbox on its way out. Just as im about to go away too.

Anyone know of any more sh1tty M32 gearboxes up for sale anywhere? Only 1 on ebay and got other interest on that.

Today is not a good day.

Even having to look at an Insignia 2.0 CDTI to replace it, but means chopping the garage up to make room. Don't like the new astra.

I want one of those new Alfa Romeos, 26k odd is slightly cheaper than the spec'd Insignia.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=alfa+romeo+giulietta+2010&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

Or unless anyone knows of some really good cars for £24k-£26k, brand new. Bang goes getting something over £30k now

[Edited on 09-06-2010 by VXR]
Jambo

9th Jun 10 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you kinow its on the way out?

FlamingCorsa

9th Jun 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heard people say that the m32 is week box! i have not had problems with my box in the van yet but thats only done around 10-15k miles!

vxr m32 boxes come up a bit on ebay! not the cheapest items, is it not worth getting the box repaired?

pretty sure gearbox specalist could sort it out for less than the cost of getting second hand one?
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probably just a bearing going
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Major whine in 1st and reverse. Reading up online and its the start of the gearbox going bang,

£2200 from Vauxhall, or about £300-£500 for a 2nd hand box, that will require fitting.
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
its probably just a bearing going

Needs the entire box split to get to it. Easily and cheaper to replace box.
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlamingCorsa
pretty sure gearbox specalist could sort it out for less than the cost of getting second hand one?

£800 odd.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do they mean when they say go bang exactly? gearboxes shouldnt go bang? sounds like a bearing on the input shaft, same problem as my 106gti when that started making noises
ed

9th Jun 10 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheaper maybe, but why bother replacing the gearbox with another second hand one which might have the same problems in the future. False economy.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the language they use over on that VXR forum, and behaving like them too, selling the car at the slightest thing wrong.

Deffo think you should investigate getting it fixed, where did you get the price of 800 odd? was that internet prices?
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AS I say, car was paid off, it was due to go in the next couple of months, whenever we wanted. Had it over 4 years now and due to be replaced.

This has forced the hand at a bad time.

Price from was from a chap on the vxr forum, but tbh, they arn't much help with anything technical at all.

Don't pick my words steve, really not in the mood for it.

Its been absolutly fine this car, nothing wrong at all. Been faultess.

Whats worse is Donnas 220bhp 100,000+ mile F28 box is spot on still. But a standard, newer designed gearbox has failed.

Seeing them fail after 10k in some cases. Piss poor, and vauxhall are doing nothing about it and its a known problem.

[Edited on 09-06-2010 by VXR]
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im honestly not trying to pick your words, it sounds like them lot on the vxr forum have been feeding you horror stories, gearboxes going bang etc.

Which is why im gently trying to persuade you to look at the alternative of replacing the bearing as the advice you may have received may not be the best
pow
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alfa
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nahh i've created a post, but they arn't really helpfull. More ahhhh and ooOooooo posts opposed to actual information. But I've done a search and theres post after post about gearboxes whining then going bang, and leaving people with between a £600-£2200 bill. Most of them with the same fault.

Im going to contact vauxhall, find out how much a replacement bearings going to cost. I've spoken to WarrenG about replacement box fitting also.

But theres talk of heading to a dealer, and part ex'ing it in for another car this weekend so im waiting to hear back more on that. Im getting old, spending a weekend under a car bonnet doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Just the next car has to be another 4 year car, so didn't want to be rushed into purchasing a car Donna didn't really want (not my choice, its Donnas car, im just lucky enough to get to drive it for nothing).
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Alfa

235bhp
Good looks.
Nice interior and dash (this is important as its where you spend all your time :lol)
Unknown handling, and no-ones had one yet, so think its out of the running as need a car sooner rather than later.

Shall I hire Donna a 1.2 16v corsa D Comedown
Jambo

9th Jun 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get another Vxr, chop it in let the dealer have the box go on them
SAL
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Gareth Day on Astrasport, he normally stocks M32's and can fit too
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A strongly worded letter to Vauxhall, with words like sales of goods act, and trading standards could well do the trick, to at least getting some of it paid for
SAL
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if they paid half steve, the bill would still be huge !
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats true, you could however get that guy Gareth Day to do it, then forward the bill to Vauxhall and make a consequential loss claim
SAL
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would defo not pay a penny that way
pow
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by pow
Alfa

235bhp
Good looks.
Nice interior and dash (this is important as its where you spend all your time :lol)
Unknown handling, and no-ones had one yet, so think its out of the running as need a car sooner rather than later.

Shall I hire Donna a 1.2 16v corsa D Comedown

Thought about booking in for a test drive?
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. Seeing as the cars 4 years old as well it doesn't leave us much to stand one.

Just had a call. Things have slightly changed. Seems were going car shopping, of the VAG varient With more of a budget than we'd thought.

been so depressed since last night, but hopefully this is the silver lining. Time to upgrade. Wasn't viable this morning.

Cheers Stavs, will also look at this Darren chap, see what he charges. But fingers crossed we may not need it now.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
They would defo not pay a penny that way

i disagree, when i was involved with trading standards, there advice in a very similar situation with me, albeit for a part on a much smaller scale, was that they are liable, even if a 3rd party pay the work, and indeed after originally refusing to pay, after reiterating trading standards advice, they did pay out the full £300 bill

however if the gearbox was older then 5 years then i agree they wouldnt have to pay

[Edited on 09-06-2010 by Steve]
Daimo B

9th Jun 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Thought about booking in for a test drive?

Don't think anyone has any yet. Not seen any press driven cars yet, and whilst its due Summer 2010, no reviews or anything. Not even any real life pics yet other than left hand drives, and the Motorsport show one (Geneva earlier this year).

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 4 years - then bang 22 database queries in 0.2921550 seconds