corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitting steinmetz skirts. Tricky..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fitting steinmetz skirts. Tricky..
SnK

User status: Offline
9th Jun 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, i've had my skirts awhile, i tried fitting them.. Offered them up they looked to fit fine. Put screws in and tried applying them with some tigerseal stuff. Now, i can get them into place but they look slightly warped/twisted so they don't fit against the car properly in certain places. Just wondering anyone else had this problem? and what they did? Don't want to get screws out and start filling etc.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jun 10 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some masking tape to hold them in place while its drying. Or if you're really stuck, park it next to a wall and get some blocks of wood propped up. Or G clamps or something. There are various ways that you can offer support to them.

Or if it's already dried, not sure really, probably the Tigerseal that is causing them to lift. May need removing and doing again although that'll be difficult without damaging them.
SnK

9th Jun 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Masking tape won't be strong enough at all.. Not even duck tape was when i tried it. It'd be too tricky parking against a wall i think (again don't think it'd work) i tried a heat gun in the worst areas to fit them which bent them slightly but it was holding them up for ages whilst the glue dried

[Edited on 09-06-2010 by SnK]
Paul W
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My passenger side one was sagging slightly. Just used gaffa tape to secure it all in position until the adhesive had set. Overall fitting wasn't difficult at all i found, just two screws in at each end and then beads of adhesive along them, took about 15 minutes in all.

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
SnK

9th Jun 10 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
My passenger side one was sagging slightly. Just used gaffa tape to secure it all in position until the adhesive had set. Overall fitting wasn't difficult at all i found, just two screws in at each end and then beads of adhesive along them, took about 15 minutes in all.

Hmmm.. I might need another pair of hands haha. I might even try using some kind of home made props.
Paul W
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You tried fitting them by yourself? I'd definately recommend having someone else to help line them up and stuff with you mate

SnK

9th Jun 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
You tried fitting them by yourself? I'd definately recommend having someone else to help line them up and stuff with you mate

Yeh, i put some gunk on put the screws in, offered up and it fit fine, but like i said, i had to push really hard against the car to sit straight then it takes about an hour before the seal goes hard
Paul W
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, definately get someone to lend a hand. And definately use something to support/hold the skirts on while the adhesive sets

SnK

9th Jun 10 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I even bought some epoxy plastic stuff.. just to try hold it in place. But that didn't work.. So i think gaffa tape, plenty of.. and possible super glue along the top with the adhesive. Will just have a few mates to help haha. Try your method of blocks underneath to hold it up.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 10 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pot rivets, then filler over
SnK

9th Jun 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
pot rivets, then filler over

Interesting. But i'd rather not start filling again and spraying haha. But i'll look into it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitting steinmetz skirts. Tricky.. 23 database queries in 0.0145471 seconds