corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Where to buy shares??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where to buy shares??
jacko198

User status: Offline
19th Jun 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, i dont have a clue about shares, and was wondering if anyone here has any?

I might look into buying some (i looked at bp, as i have read that they are well worth buying now as they are set to rise 75% buy the end of the year) but i dont have a bloody clue where to buy them! I think you can on there site but i need to read into it more.

Does anyone have any tips etc?
Robbo

19th Jun 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you use a broker, can google for one. iii is the best in my experience (http://www.iii.co.uk)
Paul_J

19th Jun 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like BP shares are still falling looking at the short term trend:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:BP
Robbo

19th Jun 10 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id see how the situation develops before investing BP shares, theres still some ropping to go and if anything really bad were to hapoen again to force them down, cant discount them becomign worthless.....
jacko198

19th Jun 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill check that out orbbo.

Paul, they are at 357.45 at the moment, aparently they used to be $55 and from what i have read, they will go back up.

I am looking at this right, right? Lol, if they went up to £50 and ive bought 10 shares and i sell, i would make £££?
jacko198

19th Jun 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and by 357.45, that would be Pence right? As i say, i dont have a clue meaning its £3.57? Or am i just being a muppet?
Robbo

19th Jun 10 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pence correct

did the $ and £ thing not confuse yourself there? how can they drop from 55 $ to 3 £ ?? different kinds of shares ($ are most likely ADRs)
swill_omnibus

19th Jun 10 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get mine through the bank. I bought shares in the housing market in 2008 and due to cash in on 2011/12
jaffa

19th Jun 10 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its pence. you sure they have been as high as $55? Thought the highest they had been was around 7 quid ish
Robbo

19th Jun 10 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

highest they been in last year is 658 ish so they are approx half that atm but as said, no clear resoultion ot the current problems so id not go for them yet.

incidentally many investment companies who owned shares in BP have switched to Vodafone for their secure stock recently
Paul_J

19th Jun 10 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198

Paul, they are at 357.45 at the moment, aparently they used to be $55 and from what i have read, they will go back up.

Look at the link I gave you, you can adjust the time frames.
The highest it's ever been is 700 pence (£7 / share).

Ah hang on... sorry that looks like BP uk share price.

There's also BP in america:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NYSE:BP
$30 a share, down from about $55.

- Basically, you may get a 100% return, e.g. put £5000 on and get £5000 on top (if they ever return to what they were and don't go bankrupt).

Your biggest problem is knowing when it'll stop dropping to buy. e.g. you may buy now at £7 ($30) and it falls further.

My biggest regret was not buying shares in RBS though. When I came back from travelling they were worth peanuts. like 10 or 15 a share.

They're now back up to 47 and will no doubt continue rising.

(On NYSE, they were once 220 cents... went down to 3.75 cents and now back up to 14 cents).

- so it would've already doubled / tripled my money and potentially go on to make a lot more if it ever recovers a lot, but then again that's life.
jacko198

19th Jun 10 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i have seen, bp america (stupid yahoo homepage is US, confusing me even further!)

Hmmmm, not sure then! As said, 1st time ive looked into it.

IE - I buy them off a broker, but when i come to sell them who buys them! The broker i bought them off? Wouldnt that mean they could loose tonnes of £?

Also, if i wanted to sell, would i simply click sell on my acount and i get the money. Like, is there any chance ill be stuck with the shares?

[Edited on 19-06-2010 by jacko198]
Paul_J

19th Jun 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is... shares generally are great for long term and large investments.

Short term large gains on small amounts of money are high risk.

- most hedge funds would say 4-8% is a good return. If you think you have £1,000,000 invested and you want a better gain than the banks. 8% = £80,000

... but obviously with only say £1000 that's £80.

What I'm saying is, you're looking at a max return of 50-100% if you're lucky. (So on say £1000 - you'll gain £500 - £1000) - over however long it takes to (if ever) rise up to its original amounts.

- like anything in life, it's a gamble.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Where to buy shares?? 22 database queries in 0.0107491 seconds