corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pros and cons of stripping a car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author pros and cons of stripping a car
FAZ
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 10 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for road / track use?

legal aspects and what not, living with it

fully stripped that is

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by FAZ]
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine to live with, feels more raw, a lot louder, a bit lighter. Feels much better to drive imo.
Scotty C

23rd Jun 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road/exhaust noise within the car
Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can use it like a van aswell
SportBoy

23rd Jun 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

waste of time unless your on track alot imo , or just like the empty car look
Jack1.6valver

23rd Jun 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good excuse to not having people in the back of your car.
Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the amount of times i go somewhere or need to go somewhere with more than 1 person as a passenger is why i have another car.

would do my head in if i only had a stripped out corsa with no radio or comfort as my only car.
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every time a stone hits the bottom it sounds like a bolt has fallen off

But that may just be my spanner work
Jack1.6valver

23rd Jun 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
the amount of times i go somewhere or need to go somewhere with more than 1 person as a passenger is why i have another car.

would do my head in if i only had a stripped out corsa with no radio or comfort as my only car.

This is very true. Dont think i could live with it as an everyday driver. Thankfully i have a run about.
Scotty C

23rd Jun 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was a daily driver, found it fine
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How fully stripped is fully stripped?

I've not got a great deal left in mine, soundproofing and dash is pretty much all that's left that isn't necessary.

The soundproofing's still there because I took the rooflining out and was quite shocked at the difference in noise level considering it's basically a piece of cardboard so obviously if I remove the 12kg of soundproofing then I'm guessing that's gonna make a hell of a difference.

The noise is relatively easy to cope with even with my knobhead exhaust It can start getting monotonous after a few hours but those trips tend to be relatively rare, mainly just shows etc.

I did mine in stages, taking bits out here and there rather than just going for it but most weighty things came out first time and I could feel a difference where corners were concerned although never could tell on straights, but then a 1.2's never gonna be great on straights

Only real legal aspects are if you take seats out you need to take the seatbelts out too, seatbelts without seats are an MOT fail.

Oh and changing the logbook and telling your insurance

Edit: Mine's a daily driver too, did 100+ miles in it on Monday which isn't unusual. I've still got my headunit and front speakers in purely because I'd probably go loopy without them although I've been thinking of binning em recently and using my phone and earphones, might block out some more of the noise. Plus I rarely carry passengers nowadays too, I used to have my brother with me every 9 times out of 10 but job rolls have changed now so I'm usually on my own.

Work's well for picking stock up too, little bit of extra space and no back seats to get in the way

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by Mike B]
FAZ
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyuthing bar the seats, front speakers / radio and the dash

telling the insurance / logbook mike?

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by FAZ]
smcGSI16V

23rd Jun 10 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lived with mine as a daily for 6 months before I got a company van.

Never again.

Noise eventually got on my tits. Because it's setup for track the suspension was far to uncomfortable for constant and long drives.
Lack of and no storage/boot ment stuf slide around everywhere.

But,

for track use stripping is a must. Better acceleration, grip, handling etc etc etc.

Me personally I would only strip a car if it was being used primaraly for track use and you had another car to use as a daily.

Also it depends what kind of strippage you mean.

Mine is completley bar the front door cards and front seats. There is nothing else left.
SnK

23rd Jun 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jack1.6valver

I'm with this guy! The amount of bellends at parties that would pretend to be my best mate just to get a lift home, and in my good nature i'd actually give them one not asking petrol money. Never to even get a thank-you just nice one cya mate.
So i stripped rear seats out and carpet lining so i can say yeh i'll give you a lift but you might break your cocyx doing so. Not had a taker yet haha.
Mike
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Near enough the same as me then.

Your supposed to change your logbook to a 2 seater and tell your insurers you've stripped it out.
smcGSI16V

23rd Jun 10 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once all the sound deadening is removed there is no going back. And it's this which makes a huge difference to they amount of road noise and what a lot of people tend to forget about; which is the cars interier temperatures. In the summer it's like being in a sauna and in the winter an igloo and also the het comes through from the engine if all the deadening is gone from up the bulkhead like mine is.
Mike
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why mine's still in It's getting hot enough just without the roof lining, black cars aren't good in summer
Jack1.6valver

23rd Jun 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
quote:

I'm with this guy! The amount of bellends at parties that would pretend to be my best mate just to get a lift home, and in my good nature i'd actually give them one not asking petrol money. Never to even get a thank-you just nice one cya mate.
So i stripped rear seats out and carpet lining so i can say yeh i'll give you a lift but you might break your cocyx doing so. Not had a taker yet haha.

Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
Once all the sound deadening is removed there is no going back. And it's this which makes a huge difference to they amount of road noise and what a lot of people tend to forget about; which is the cars interier temperatures. In the summer it's like being in a sauna and in the winter an igloo and also the het comes through from the engine if all the deadening is gone from up the bulkhead like mine is.

absolutely
Linch

23rd Jun 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
quote:

I have, had 3 people lie down in the back of mine once. was only up the road like, thank god for 4 seats now. like nic says its ok if you have another car, I got sick of always being freezing in the winter and hot in the summer. Has to be said though a noticeable difference in handling and acceleration
Daveskater
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had a track car I would take most of the interior out, but don't really see the point with an everyday road car.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Nic Barnes

23rd Jun 10 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really miss having a radio in my corsa. no gangster beats to pimp about with. just have a noisey fuel pump and having to shout "EHHH???" at passenger many times when talking as cant hear fuck all.
Mike
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually made a really long post about mine a while back which basically came out as it not being worth it on a road car yet I've now had a stripped out Corsa for around 2 1/2 years which has been on track for roughly 1 hour in total

Oh, another con, having every man and his dog that happens to glance inside your car asking where your seats are

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by Mike B]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pros and cons of stripping a car 23 database queries in 0.1509140 seconds