corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa Engine Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Engine Problem
Bill777

User status: Offline
   25th Jun 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My daughter has a 2003 Corsa with 45,000 miles on clock, owned from almost new. Broke down on M42, engine making loud muffled hornlike noises. Towed to local garage to find engine totally knackered. Some problem with timing belt, no oil pumping around engine, finally conked out.
Is this usual for a Corsa, I had hoped it would be good for another 60,000 miles at least?
Any ideas on where to get a replacement (used) engine? Are breakers yards best or are they no better than buying off eBay.
Live in Birmingham area.
Limecat
Banned

25th Jun 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Bill, no it's not common, as with many things the vast majority of engine failures can be put down to a lack of maintenance, I'm not saying that is the case with your daughters car as I have nothing tangible in front of me to base that on but it still holds true and generally females are really poor at checking fluids/service intervals etc.

You mention it is the timing belt, when was it last changed? Did it have sufficient oil?

What engine is it? You should easily source one from here, MIG, Vauxsport etc. Bear in mind a lot of people selling engines for them, in known working order may well be due to transplanting larger engines in (more common on the earlier Corsa B's TBH!) so they may have had a harder life than some but likewise, in my experience they are maintained better, even if used a bit harder once warmed up and anything is a lottery - especially a breakers who could have obtained it from a crash damaged vehicle etc.

Just ensure the owner is able to show receipts to confirm maintenance etc.

Good luck, it shouldn't be hard to find a good one.

[Edited on 25-06-2010 by LETGSI16V]
Bill777

28th Jun 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks LETGSI16V.
Car was regularly serviced, last in July 2009, when oil, filter and plugs were changed. Still has original Timing belt (or is it chain).
Engine is a 1000cc Life Twinport.
Cost of replacement engine will depend on worth of car when all work finished.
Thanks for help.

New Poll