corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike road trip to France piccies

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike road trip to France piccies
Daimo B

User status: Offline
28th Jun 10 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got back from a road trip down to the south of France using the Green route. Epic time, 2000+ miles covered. Nelli held up fine, even despite running WELL into the red temperature zone quite frequently. The bike ran superb, but the only niggle on the 2nd to last day was my damn coil stick is on its way out again. Still, she done bloody well. A selection of piccies, with a link to all of them at the bottom. Got some videos to sort out too

I had a lie in thursday, and was planning an early night. That idea failed after 2 hours of trying to get to sleep. I got up at 11pm and tanked up on coffees ready to meet the boys at 1.40am. Get down to folkstone for the 3.30am train. We had to keep pulling over as they all kept nearly falling asleep. Hardcore baby, I went all the way, and even stayed up late the first night after quite a few beers

Annecy again for the first night. Mega rains down the south had meant very high water levels compared to last year. Weather wasn't looking kind for the next few days

After breaky next morning.

Up into the mountains for the second night. We found a superb place for 20 euros in Bourg-Saint-Maurice. Had a swim and washed the bikes off.

Next day, ohmygod... I've ridden the Bandit in snow, but it progressivly got worse. Up the Val D'isere

Obligitory Snow Angle

My new desktop

Weather was simply stupid. At a lot of times we were in 1st, riding over snow, with 20m visibility. We met some blokes on RG1200's the night before in the hotel. They set of before us, we saw them coming back down the mountain We pushed on through and made it to Briancon Proper scarey stuff though going through the tunnel at the top as it was all ice!!

Next day, things had changed, rock on baby

Highest road in Europe Chatted to some hardcore cyclists, sod that!!!!!

This went on for miles, and yes we had MEGA fun

Got down to about 10km north of Nice, and minced in the pool. Got absolutly hammered on Rose wine. The roads to this place were long, sweeping and very fast!!

Then we headed via motorways (just too bloody hot to quick for us cold Brits) to a little town called La Ciotat on the south coast. This was basecamp for a few days.

These birds were mega hot, didn't get them in the photo by mistake at all.....

The boys went to the beach to perve at boobs and get burnt (and they did ha ha ha). I wasn't into all that beach stuff so went for a bimble up to Paul Ricard racetrack. Buggers wouldn't let me in so had a drink and went for a blast round some roads by myself. Epic fun.

After a few days, we started North again, stopping at a proper dodgy F1 hotel after we couldn't find anywhere to stay (hot, bothered, wanted to get out of the sun). My phone came out my pocket whilst riding, split into all its major components. After a bit of fettling, its sorted . We ended up in Gap. We stopped up the road for some breakie and watched the cliffjumpers.

Back up some more excellent roads.

We got to Gex the next night after following the Green route back up to Lake Geneva.

THE flag, the only one that survived after we all lost ours on day 1 in the morning

Got up the next day and it was mostly straight back roads (with the odd bends) and made it to St Dizier. It was then an early start up the motorways to Calais so the boys could get back for the footy (meh won't comment )

Oooo lots of cleaning to do...

All the rest of the pics are at.

http://public.fotki.com/DaimoB/general_me_-_pastti/france-bike-trip-2010/

I've got some videos to sort out too. Due to my bikes front end, the pictures always not directly in front, always up and to the right, but they will do. Will post those tomorrow.

Bike ran good, got both knees down a plenty (although im still faster not trying to get em down). My bike uses by far the most fuel, its quicker than the K4 GSR600, slower than an 08 R6 (both not by much either way), and gets left standing low down by the Tuono But who's do you think got all the attention by lots of weirdos

[Edited on 28-06-2010 by VXR]
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jun 10 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good pics
Marc

28th Jun 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good pics.

FFS Stcheven.

[Edited on 28-06-2010 by Marc]
K3 VMU

28th Jun 10 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one Daimo, i would love to do something like that,but i would have to change the tires on my bike as the super sticky pirellis i am running would be mince in no time.

me and 5 of my friends went on a little road run round scotland from fri, then came home on sunday, was an awesome luagh, and plenty silly ness
taylorboosh

28th Jun 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id like to do that......... in my car though
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it, don't worry about the tyres. Im running Dunlop D208's and we done over 2000 miles, and i've got some miles left yet. And you can properly use the sticky tyres on the roads too

Im gonna do a similar trip n the car at some point as well as it'll be just as much fun, without the sweat
corsa_paz

28th Jun 10 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur ass must be killing!!?
Recaro1

28th Jun 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good.

I've just bought a ZX6R and I plan on doing a few trips to Europe on it. Probably next year now.
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ass, it did get a bit sore, but all i'll say is no airflow, 35+ degrees, and closed leathers and boots... But the bike itself is quite comfy.

Recaro, do it, plan getting down to at least Dijon, and from there you can take the back roads all the way to the south coast. Ironically theres someone else interested in the route etc we took, where we stayed etc, so i'll jot something up later so anyone can take some pointers on where to go etc.

It really was great fun, we got moody for sure sometimes (usually evenings trying to find somewhere to stay, hot bothered, just wanted a shower ).

French motorists move right out the way, so bikes have a great time, and some fantastic smooth roads.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jun 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you buy any french bangers?
gravesy

28th Jun 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
did you buy any french bangers?

This is what day trips on the ferry were invented for - and flickknives.

Looks amazing mate. Would love to do some serious travel in France. How about you and me Recaro? We'll get a side-car and it'll be like two fat ladies.
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First video is up. So gutted about the angle, but as you can see by the above fly shot pic, I can't really tell until I upload to the PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJYqAmybLg

[Edited on 28-06-2010 by VXR]
Ingham
Banned

28th Jun 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to do this!
whitter45

28th Jun 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great pics
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaY09QdrnVc
whitter45

28th Jun 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the one in the mountains that you have as your desktop
Recaro1

28th Jun 10 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Recaro, do it, plan getting down to at least Dijon, and from there you can take the back roads all the way to the south coast. Ironically theres someone else interested in the route etc we took, where we stayed etc, so i'll jot something up later so anyone can take some pointers on where to go etc.

I would love to see the route, where you stayed, etc if you can put something together that would be great
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3rd video is also now up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMyF-q5HO7E

Paul_J

28th Jun 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow that looks like an awesome trip mate
deanmcreynolds26

28th Jun 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks an amazing trip, snow in the mountains then the boys getting burnt though

id love to do one of these trips starting in scotland though will add a few days to my journey though

SetH

28th Jun 10 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great pics, awesome Scenery
Bonney

28th Jun 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a cracking trip. Would love to do something like this!
Daimo B

28th Jun 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon i've spent about £1k-£1200. My bike drinks a lot more fuel though, but you could do it a bit cheaper if you booked ahead.

The day over the Val D'isere though was not fun. But deffo learnt how to ride it in the wet
Daimo B

30th Jun 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, done a guide. Its worth reading it and following the road down on google maps.

Firstly, use google maps, we did and referred to it on my mobile phone and it was fine. Find Annecy which is about 50 clicks south of Geneva. Big lake, STUNNING place, been there twice now. Well worth a visit! A mini Venice.

From Annecy, down the left hand side of the lake down the D1508 to Ugine. (we stayed at a campsite, I can provide details, about 25 euros).
Then Northish up the D1212 to Flument.
Then back south down the D218b down to Beaufort.
Then the D925 which turns into the D902 which takes you to Bourg-Saint-Maurice where we stayed. Not many miles due to the weather, but we crashed in a lovely bike friendly hotel. Extra 10 euros to park the bike in the garage, but has a swimming pool, a hosepipe etc.

Then we carried on up the D902 which is the road that takes you through the Val D’isere.
Stay on this road through the national park and head west towards Saint-Micheal-de-Maurienne and Saint-Martin-d’Arc. Don’t use the autoroute, the road runs practically underneath the autoroute, and its free!
Then head south, staying on the D902 to the Col du Lautaret. We went straight on south (well South-east) though down the D1091 to Braincon where we stayed the next night. We used an Ibis at about 30 euros each. Clean, but very expensive for drinks (about 4 euros for a half pint!! All Ibis are like this though, tip, head to McDonalds, stock up on 1664’s, its half the price for double the beer lol).

We then carried on the D902 all the way down, its quite a way, but well worth it. The D902 then changes into the D900 around Gleizolles. We beared West and carried on following it down for a short way. This brings you to a town called Jausiers. Good place for a pitstop, drink etc (if you can find the open shop). Then we turned back on ourselves for about 1 mile, and headed east down the D64. This is the highest road in Europe. It was the highest road, then the Spanish built one a few metres higher, so the French then built a road up to the peak of the mountain to retain the title. Sad gits the pair of the countries lol. The D64 is a tight road, but quite smooth and this is where we had our closest “playing” as much of it was 1st and 2nd gear.

The D64 then turns into the D2205. Tight mountain hairpins turn into wide fast flowing roads following the river down the mountains to the coast. We simply followed this road, but theres so many options around this area. We stuck to whats called the “Green Route” and you can pickup a map from any local town. You can basically follow it from Lake Geneva all the way down to Nice, then come back up a different way. Well worth the couple of euros to purchase it (just a fold out paper map). We stayed on the D2205 all the way south to Bonson. We stayed in a hotel around here which was quite price at about 40 euros each, but it had a restaurant, pool etc, and it was starting to get very very hot.

From here, we headed to Nice, and hada boring day of motorways down to a coastal town. We headed past Toulon down to a little town called Cassis. Then we used the D559 towards Marseille. Then realised we were going the wrong way, so back down the D559, back through Cassis, out the other side and into a town called La Ciotat. This was basecamp for a couple of days, and we used a campsite on the east side of La Ciotat which cost us about 20 euros each for 2 nights!!

This is when the boys went to the beach, so I went for a ride. Just north of La Ciotat and the autoroute, is the racetrack Paul Ricard. I used the D3 which turns into the D2 up to the track (west to east), and stuck on the D2 past the track to Meounes-les-Montrieux. Then south to the D202, back west to rejoin the D2 back toward Paul Ricard. Then used the same road back down to the coast. Note, the racetrack isn’t open to the public except on certain days, but it has got a nice little café you can get a drink and that in. Few old bikes and bits to nose at.

On the way home, we jumped on the A50 Autoroute, then right onto the A52 at Aubagne, then right again onto the A520 which turns into the D560 (through Saint-Zacharie). Somehow making it up to Gap. There were a few straight roads, but we wanted to get some distance done. From Grenoble we got across back up the D902 towards Lake Geneva, then round the lake, past Geneva to Gex to a campsite where we had to book 2 nights as the mofo wouldn’t let us book one night. Still worked out cheaper than using the only other hotel in town (even though google lists quite a few, there isn’t any, just a dodgy one who had an OAP in a broken wheelchair, with flat tyres ).

Out of Gex we used the N5 north, and took various roads to get us up to St Dizier. A long slog, lots of straight roads, but better than Autoroutes and some stunning little towns.

If anyone wants anymore info, let me know, but once your around Geneva, seriously look for the green route map, or google it. It pretty much gets you to the south coast, then you can come back up another route. We just wanted some sun for a few days (correction, they did, I wanted the roads, hence the videos).

The two sunny videos I’ve put up, one was the D2/D3 down south, the other was the D559. The other one is just acceleration on the last stint to Calais after I was waiting for the boys to come through the tolls.

Hope it helps, anyone want any more information, drop me a message.
Graham88

30th Jun 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent stuff. I don't envy you riding any of those bikes in the snow though! At least you had a decent time. I take it you didn't stop off at the Ring at any point (I've no idea if you were near it?)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike road trip to France piccies 22 database queries in 0.0156059 seconds