corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car trackers for work cars

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car trackers for work cars
ARD1

User status: Offline
8th Jul 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of strange question but here we go,

I have a company car which i pay tax on to use for personel mileage

we had all our engineers vans fitted with trackers so we could find the nearest in relation to a break down etc etc.

now they are saying the sales team are getting them for insurance purposes. Now is there any way that people know of be it law or something that can be used to stop this happening?

the reason i dont want one is they can see and it records every time you go over a speed limit, brake hard, turn hard, accerlerate hard etc. And they can look at where you have been etc over a weekend and in your own time.

As i pay a lot in tax for this car i don't see why i cant use it for my enjoyment etc in my time ie back road on the way home etc or to see friends at weekend.

i know what idiots the hr people can be with our van drivers and some have had warnings for there driving, and i dont want them to do the same on a Monday after a weekend of spirted driving

people thoughts?

pow
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trackers are used for GPS co-ordinates so they wont keep info about cornering etc etc, the most they could keep is speed I should think

But, you don't own the car so I'm sure that you have no say on this.

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by pow]
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they give you grief after a weekend then tell them you pay to drive it however you want in your own time and seeing as the weekend is your own time, they can suck your left one.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
corsagsigav

8th Jul 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont think there is much you can do really but am sure they are not use them to spy on you as it was.if its for the insurance then they should only be used when the vechile is stolen
adiohead

8th Jul 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get your own car, then you can drive it how you want
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is true. But what people should do what people actually do are two different things

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
dannymccann

8th Jul 10 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a GPS thing in the Astra for insurance, pay as you drive it was. It only sent data back up of the roads you drove on and at one time. Obviously i dont know the frequency of the updates, but they could, in theory, plot your average speed at a particular point in time, should the need be for it in an insurance case.
ARD1

8th Jul 10 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Trackers are used for GPS co-ordinates so they wont keep info about cornering etc etc, the most they could keep is speed I should think

Well iy does at the moment with the van drivers vans as i've had to sit in a meeting about it today and i've looked at the screen and it brings up triangles which are saved etc showing any of the above actions

orginally the van drivers trackers where just for the main bosses eyes only, now even i can log on to see where they are
jibjob

8th Jul 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just cover the tracker in tin foil. Ruins the signal. I know some lads who have trackers on their trucks and if they want to take a detour or have a longer break then just stick baked bean tins over the ariel coming from the tracker.
Ste L

8th Jul 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just unplug the tracker, we do it in our vans all the time
chr15barn3s

8th Jul 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Some do monitor cornering, harsh acceleration and braking etc... It's the new thing for car fleet operators as they can make sure there cars are being looked after.

ARD1

8th Jul 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chr15barn3s
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Some do monitor cornering, harsh acceleration and braking etc... It's the new thing for car fleet operators as they can make sure there cars are being looked after.

yeah this is a tom tom tracker and does the above, i know if you pair your phone with it, it will stop the tracker signal being sent as the drivers where asked not to do this
VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it British Gas by any chance?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
ARD1

8th Jul 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
just unplug the tracker, we do it in our vans all the time

would love to but i do 50k a year, so it would be off all the time,

i've not got a problem about them knowing my location. its more with the speed and driving style. whats the point in a warm hatch you cant drive properly
ARD1

8th Jul 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Is it British Gas by any chance?

nah its not,
oceansoul

8th Jul 10 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The trackers in our works van all have accelerometers in them, so they can record cornering and harsh accelerating etc.

Best way we've found to "disable" the tracker, is to remove the fuse, short it directly across the battery, thus causing it to pop, then putting it back. If any managers look into it, or ask for a garage to look at it, they will just find a blown fuse
ARD1

8th Jul 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
The trackers in our works van all have accelerometers in them, so they can record cornering and harsh accelerating etc.

Best way we've found to "disable" the tracker, is to remove the fuse, short it directly across the battery, thus causing it to pop, then putting it back. If any managers look into it, or ask for a garage to look at it, they will just find a blown fuse

sounds good but howmany times could i get away with it before the finger gets pointed at me
craig8
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we got the same pish about trackers only being used for job alocation then within a month they were pulling everyone up for speeding, sent out a sheet saying they were legaly obligated to repremand people for speeding and banned any personal use of the vans

E36 328
pow
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll blow a gasket is Dad's company starts on this, I drive the Prius like a CUNT
Gareth

8th Jul 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it masternaut?
Gareth

9th Jul 10 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i have on my 308, had it on a few cars infact. It stores alot of data, proper state on the art.

Sends an email to the manager if i go over 77mph, it used to be 90mph but they dropped it down.

They can fit a privacy button which you can activate on your day off/ holiday etc.
MarkSport

9th Jul 10 at 05:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ARD1
the reason i dont want one is they can see and it records every time you go over a speed limit, brake hard, turn hard, accerlerate hard etc. And they can look at where you have been etc over a weekend and in your own time.

Drive normal then and not like a tard
ARD1

9th Jul 10 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkSport
quote:
Originally posted by ARD1

Drive normal then and not like a tard

its more the speeding thing as when im doing a 1000miles a week for motorway driving etc staying at 70mph will make it a very long day
chr15barn3s

9th Jul 10 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is so much they can do with the TomTom trackers and any of the other products now. I.e. Alert the office when going over certain speeds, drive into a selected area on the system which can be changed as and when they please so they often put home addresses between work hours, they can tell how long the engine is off for and how long you have been idling so if idling for a long time they can moan about you wasting there fuel.
pow
Premium Member

9th Jul 10 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Goes over 77mph? What a LOAD OF SHIT

So, example, you wanna get past some shit on the motorway, cars being a little indecisive and you wanna just get past the danger, quick scope in front for problems/camera vans, quick mirror check and boom, zip past the danger at 85 and you manager gets an email to tell them this?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car trackers for work cars 23 database queries in 0.0153050 seconds