corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » towing another car .... RALLY

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author towing another car .... RALLY
Alex_Rally

User status: Offline
10th Jul 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been toying with the idea of rallying or doing track days and until yesterday i thought i would be rather easy to get done, till i found out that i would have to do another licence for towing the car !!! how shit is that , i new i woud haveto do an MSA rally test if i was gonna go down that route and the car if getting used for ralling would have to have an MSA log book.

but i cant really be arsed to do another test lol
because im only 20-21 and passed test like 3 years ago, ive hurd if it was after 1998 u need another test.
any1 got any ideas on getting round this .......... also majority of my mates passed around the same time give or take 2 years so couldnt get any1 else to do the towing.

if i was to do another test the one for the trailer does any1 know what it involves ???
Matt L

10th Jul 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not just do a track car but keep it road legal? then no extra tests needed.

otherwise id personally go down the trailer route as then you can save paying the road tax/insurance/mot iirc.

not sure what the extra tests involve though have a quick look on the dvla site im sure it would tell you on there

ps its heard not hurd
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

10th Jul 10 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are ways around it depending on the weight of the car you're towing but it pretty much means you'd need to get a certain car to tow with and possibly make your own trailer unless you can find one with the appropriate weights.

Basically your licence will cover upto a 3.5tonne train, so the MAM (maximum allowed mass) of the tow car and the MAM of the trailer need to be under that but the unladen weight of the car must be more than the MAM of the trailer.

All pretty awkward really. For the extra cost of the test it make's life a whole lot easier and gives you a lot more options as to tow car and trailer

[Edited on 10-07-2010 by Mike B]
Alex_Rally

10th Jul 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

matt l i would like to do that but i am gonna be a dad soon and must keep a normal car as well lol also i drive alot with work so would cost a fortune in fuel lol
Alex_Rally

10th Jul 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mike b so what ya saying is that i am allowed to tow a trailer but the tow car needs to weigh more than the tralor and car ...... balls lol that kind of limits the amount of cars that i could use lol ... non RWD are that light lol
Alex_Rally

10th Jul 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does any1 know of what the trailer test consists of ?? or how u would go about doing it cos u dont see your average BSM learner car towing a trailer lol
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

10th Jul 10 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know what the test consists of but I believe they're usually done by HGV training places, just do a search round your area

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » towing another car .... RALLY 22 database queries in 0.1292419 seconds