corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Question about Blu-Ray

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question about Blu-Ray
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jul 10 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate reckons that Blu-Ray has much better sound and video quality than DVD.

One thing that puts me off it though (and I don't know if his Blu-Ray player is duff) but he says it takes at least 3 minutes to load up a movie - is this true?
Nath

21st Jul 10 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not true from my experiences. Some BR players connect to the internet, which can cause it to drag. I tried accessing some BR disc features using my PS3 once, and it took a while. But playing normal BR films isn't an issue.

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by Nath]
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So how long should it "normally" take, Nath? Is it the same loading time as a DVD?

I'm not sure if his connects to the Internet, all I know is that it's a Sony player.
Nath

21st Jul 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah pretty much. It's never struck me as taking any longer thats for sure.
blebo

21st Jul 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a sony player and mines used to be slow when I first got it....Pirates of the Caribean 3 took 5 minutes to load the main menu... I upgraded the firmware form the sony site and it now works fine...was something to do with the change in flash format used by the disc or something
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right cool, thanks guys.
John

21st Jul 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Video quality is massivley better as long as you have an HD TV, sound you need fancier (newer) equipment to take advantage of but it is better yes.
ssj_kakarot

21st Jul 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it depends on the blu-ray player, my ps3 is quite fast loading movies.

Also like previously stated the picture is loads better but you need a hdmi connection and a 1080p set to really notice it.

as for the sound yeah its great but you need a fairly decent amp with a hdmi input that accepts the newer codecs such as Dolby-HD and DTS-HD master and a nice set of speakers.

if your just running sound through your tv you wont notice any difference as it will just be using the dolby or DTS tracks.
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got a HD telly (replaced my old Samsung 32" widescreen CRT monster which weighed about a ton!) and 5.1 surround sound system, but if I (or should I say, we, if I can get my wife to agree to it LOL) go for a Blu-Ray system I'll be looking to get a better hi-fi/sound set up with decent amp and all that jazz.
mwg

21st Jul 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont notice any difference in load times between a DVD or a Blu-ray on my PS3 or my laptop.
noshua

21st Jul 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
it depends on the blu-ray player, my ps3 is quite fast loading movies.

Also like previously stated the picture is loads better but you need a hdmi connection and a 1080p set to really notice it.

as for the sound yeah its great but you need a fairly decent amp with a hdmi input that accepts the newer codecs such as Dolby-HD and DTS-HD master and a nice set of speakers.

if your just running sound through your tv you wont notice any difference as it will just be using the dolby or DTS tracks.

Even with a cheap shit 720p set there would be a massive difference in picture quality
whitter45

22nd Jul 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the sound is better providing the BR player can process the signal ie Dolby HD

I use PCI Downmix and let my receiver do the processing

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am selling my blu ray player if you are after one

some machines are better than others
ps3 being one of the best
Leighton

22nd Jul 10 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can the sound be better !
The only thing that will make sound better is the speakers that is is comming from.

And if any one dares to say its "HD" i will ban you
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its hd mate

its a digital sound thingy majig

dunno what exactly but its supposed to be better
Leighton

22nd Jul 10 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Audio cannot be any diferent, putting a HD signal into a standard TV will not make what you are seeing HD.
So even if you are putting in the best Audio signal ever produced its still coming out of your £100 surround sound system and is therefor no better than a DVD comming out the same speakers.
John

22nd Jul 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's uncompressed and has more channels, so even if you still have the same speakers, if the rest of the equipment can handle it as an input you get better sound out the other end.
Jambo

22nd Jul 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Avatar took about 1min to load on my bd player but other than that I've noticed no other difference.

Picture is light years ahead of DVD and the sound is better with a proper hd setup but as my current setup is suite I've not benefited as I have a machine that does t accept Sts as a codec so I'm using virtual surround which is piss poor
ssj_kakarot

22nd Jul 10 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
The Audio cannot be any diferent, putting a HD signal into a standard TV will not make what you are seeing HD.
So even if you are putting in the best Audio signal ever produced its still coming out of your £100 surround sound system and is therefor no better than a DVD comming out the same speakers.

well yes but if your running something though a £100 surround setup you wouldnt be getting the HD audio codecs any way you would be getting standard dolby or DTS

as it has already been mentioned you need a newer amp which accepts uncompressed HD audio before you will get the full benifit.

and if you spend £500 + on an amp your not going to use cheap speakers, but like someone else said it would still be more channels

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by ssj_kakarot]
LeeM

22nd Jul 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ps3 is fine, about the same as a DVD.
I've got a surround sound that suports Dolby HD and it sounds immense
Graham88

22nd Jul 10 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't notice any difference through my PS3
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
How can the sound be better !
The only thing that will make sound better is the speakers that is is comming from.

And if any one dares to say its "HD" i will ban you

moron

I'll be honest, with alot of my BD films I actually appreciate the improved sound more than the improved image.

Maybe it's the red DTS-MA logo lighting up on my amp just having a psychological effect though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Jul 10 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can someone with some technical grounding in the details give me an idea as to why the sound is better?

If it's not compressed then the only two variable factors are the sample rate and the number of bits used to describe the wave.

So you have CD quality which is known as Red Book, 16 bit 44.1KHz

DVD which according to Wikipedia will support 24 bit sampling at 192Khz - admittedly only two channels at those rates. Full surround is limited to 96Khz.

Blu-ray will do 6 channels at 192Khz which is more information but not actually better quality per se.

Perhaps you think it's better because there's more going on, or perhaps it could be perceived as better because you are actually describing more audible events with that degree of data but like for like, ie a stereo music track, I can't see much difference in the technical specs.

Of course, we're not comparing like for like.

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Ian]
John

22nd Jul 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you getting mixed up with DVD-Audio Ian?

You aren't getting mixed up, I see in your post you say multi-channel is less, which is what we're talking about.

The highest I can find for DVD-Video is 96KHz.

The bitrate for Blu-ray is also 10x as much, coupled with being lossless, quite a difference.

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by John]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Jul 10 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is DVD audio compressed? If its a lossy codec then yes, that would represent a difference. I'm not really well up on all the formats, just wanted to bring some facts to the discussion. Most of which is academic btw, I would guess that the differences we're talking about here in bit depth and rate are virtually indistinguishable on anything other than very high-end systems.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll